This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Douche At The Car Wash

To anyone who isn't already aware, I have a great fear of car washes. One time when I was a teen, I got stuck in a car wash. I have never returned since, up until today. It also doesn't help that I know of several people whose cars have been hit by the automatic washers.

Anywho, now that I have a better car, I have to keep it clean. I no longer have a pile of crap car that I don't care what happens to the paint and look of it.

I swallowed hard and decided to go to the car wash next to the place I get my oil changed, because they keep the exit doors open, so that you are not fully enclosed and "stuck" in there.

As I said before, I haven't been to a car wash in probably 6 or 7 years. The last I remembered, when the person before you leaves, the door opens for you. Apparently, this one doesn't. It just stops flashing "In use" and you are supposed to drive up, pay, and then it opens. I didn't know that. I saw it stop flashing "in use" but it didn't say "Enter".

So I kind of sat there idling.

I saw an old man get out of the car behind me. Ok, what's he doing?

Next thing I know, he's walking up to my car (because let's face it, I'm already having a mild panic attack at the thought of even DOING THIS!!!) and he grumbles at me "You need to get moving already!"

I was still so nervous that I didn't even have the nerve to tell him he was retarded for going up to a stranger's car, just because I'm a cute little blonde doesn't mean I may not be packing heat or be crazy. It's not the 40s anymore, you can't just go up to people's cars and start yelling at them!

I just stuttered "Ok uh sorry about that..." and went up to pay. I aimed wrong and ended up having to get out to slide my card. He looked beside himself. Oh fuck you old douche. You're probably retired and have all day to do this. I don't.

So I finally get inside and all went well. I just wish I had bought a higher grade of wash, because a few of the dead bugs from my daily commute to work were still stuck to my grill and by my license plate. But all the dust and crap is gone

And yes, I will be able to do this again
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

You should have played up the stereotype for him. you know "OH! Thank you so much. I've never done this before. you are just so nice to let me know. Thank you!'
    Bonus if you could do it with a sweet southern drawl.

Comment

That reminds me--I could get a free car wash at the gas station I always go to, but I don't think I will.

I always wash my car myself.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I don't think a southern drawl would work in Wisconsin, let alone with Wisconsin license plates.

But I do play idiot blonde really well when I want to be left alone. It has worked to get people off my back at work many times. Just get that distant Jessica Simpson "Huhhh?!" look on my face, nearly start drooling, and go "Whaaa?"

Normal blas would have snapped, but I was not in a good place. I was freaked out beyond freaked. I'm surprised I made it that far. Pretty proud of myself for not backing out.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was never thrilled with those self serve auto washes. I use to use them all the time as one gas station offered $1.00 car wash with 8Gal purchase. It will take the first layer off, but that is about it.

You need to find a full service wash. One that does an extra hand wipe. They will make sure the bugs come off. The one I go to is only $16.00 for a basic, and that gets you a vacuum also.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            Normal blas would have snapped, but I was not in a good place. I was freaked out beyond freaked. I'm surprised I made it that far. Pretty proud of myself for not backing out.
            I think you did a very good job not backing out, especially when he was being a jerk.

Comment

Blas, offering unasked for advice, have you considered using the self service car washes (you know the ones where you pay for minutes of use of the hose and brushes)? I find they end up being cheaper than the automatic and do a better job.
              Now onto the old douche, while fear of automatic car washes isn't very common (as far as I know), claustrophobia is quite common... for all he knew you were claustrophobic and needed a moment to compose yourself before going into a small space (that is what I would assume if I were behind someone going a little slow). Now if someone just keeps sitting there I may walk up and ask if everything is okay, but wouldn't just snap at someone that they need to move.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Blas, confronting fears is always rough to do, let alone with somebody yelling at you. You handled it very well, and should be proud of yourself.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  You need to find a full service wash. One that does an extra hand wipe. They will make sure the bugs come off. The one I go to is only $16.00 for a basic, and that gets you a vacuum also.
                  there was one down the street from us in VAbeach and it was aaaaaaawesooooome. The Boy used to take his truck there a couple times a month. he would remove his antenna, purchase his carwash, and go chill in the waiting area. they'd drive it into the carwash, out of the carwash, wipe down the outside, dry the windows, vacuum...it was pretty amazing.
                  and no going into scary carwashes where you could get stuck! cuz they do that part! yay!
                  If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                  ^_^

Comment

i either go to one that lets me get out of the car (i have an issue with being in a box covered in water alone with some im ok alone i start getting crawlly under the skin and flash back to major teenage feelings.....) or look at my daddy and tell him i need a car wash.

he doesnt trust me to wash it myself.

i always made my car payments when i had a nice car. I always got the oil checked the tires checked and took Inara to the mechanic when i heard something funky (never had a issue usually just the sound of moisture on a belt from water) and kept cleaned with a washe at least every 3 monthes ( it wasnt that new and its arizona dust washing it lasts 3 minute)

he still thinks he needs to help me.

now i may not be able to jack a car by myself but i can do the very basics.

but im still hopeless and confused.... though i have learned slowly how an engine should look.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      You should have played up the stereotype for him. you know "OH! Thank you so much. I've never done this before. you are just so nice to let me know. Thank you!'
                      Bonus if you could do it with a sweet southern drawl.
                      I'm hearing Deputy Chief Johnson from "The Closer" in my head.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      he still thinks he needs to help me.
                      That's just dad's and their girls. I'm getting near that "woman of a certain age" area and my dad's still like that. Part of why I love him.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

At the car wash near my parents' house, you drive up to the beginning of the track, put your car in neutral, and GET OUT OF IT. The machine then drags your car through, and you get back in at the other end. There's one near here that's a full-service one where they go at it with the hand towels. Just gotta make sure the guys doing it don't have huge belt buckles (or too much grit on the towels, or they'll scratch your paint... Not a problem in my 22 year old truck, but I can see where some would want to be careful.

When I was a kid, we always loved going through the car wash. Look, giant spaghetti! I can see why some people would be freaked out by that, though.

Oh, and http://catalog.fborfw.com/strips/87/FB052487.GIF
                        Last edited by Shalom; 08-31-2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          I don't think a southern drawl would work in Wisconsin
                          I helped a customer last night with a drawl and a Wisconsin DL. I also have a couple of regular customers from the south that are residents now. I think you should totally pull the act next time & post about it for hilarity's sake. Also, I'm proud of you. I am still a little intimidated by escalators, and the time one ate my shoe was 33 years ago.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't like using the kind of car washes where you sit in your car because I have a really hard time getting my car in and out of there.

Some car washes have these metal bars where you have to get your front left tire in just right and then the wash starts. Last time I could not get my tire in and I was freaking out and it took me forever to get out of there and I was getting my tire stuck. It was awful, embarrassing, and ticked me off.

Some car washes have a sensor that tell you when to stop and it takes me forever to hit the sensors properly.

I started using the self service ones but it costs me over $5 to get it washed good. And if I have $3 I have to rush to get it as clean as I can. But it is fun for my daughter that laughs when she gets water all over herself after school.

Maybe that is why I love the rain so much, a free car washing

Comment

for facing one of your fears

=)

as for wash preference... i actually l don't like the touchless ones. i always feel it's leaving a little behind.
                              give me the ones with the moving brushes and i'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X