This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Scam at Cash for Gold...

While chit-chatting with a Police Officer I learned that, somehow, someone switched the bottle of acid used to test the gold with a bottle of water, which tricked the employee into buying several thousand dollars of 'gold'!!!

I wonder if that employee is there anymore... Of course they never let us know so we could be on the lookout.

Then again, the employees are almost never at their stand, and it also could be an insurance scam.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

wow! a customer switched the bottles?! or was it an inside job?
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I vote for inside job.

Thats insane!

Comment

But believable. Gold, well, money in general, has a way of turning minds to mush and making people become greedier than the Cookie Monster at a bakery!
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
          I vote for inside job.
          I think Anima's right about this one. An outsider would have to know the layout and have a bottle that was correctly labeled (so that the indsiders would not notice) and be familiar enough with the testing process.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Happened to someone else, so it's more of a sighting.

And yeah, that's gotta be an inside job.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I don't know. Someone who's sold gold before at that place would know about the bottle. Likewise, that gold is proof against most common acids (excluding aqua regia) is pretty common information. Hell, it's near the top of the Wikipedia article, along with the tidbit that acid IS used to test materials to see if it's gold. Hence "acid test."
              "Sometimes all you have is nonsense to deal with and your anger with which to do so."

Comment

I'm not going to disagree that it's a horrible thing to do, and shows a complete lack of ethics. It was, however, a clever trick. I wonder if they had been there before. Is the testing done where customers can see? They might have been able to identify what the bottle looked like from that. This is a much more organized criminal than a lot of the ones that get posted here are.

Comment

Are you in the Lebanon, PA area by chance? I found this in the local paper: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...gold_scam.html
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X