This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My office smells like pesto

My coworker, knowing that I've been cooking more lately, brought me some spices today, including a pesto mix. Now my whole office smells like pesto, and it's making me REALLY hungry!! Can't wait to try this mix in a little olive oil and butter over my ravioli!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

remind me again what pesto is made out of ? I know I'm being stupid here but I can't remember.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Usually basil in olive oil with pine nuts ground into it, and often parmesan cheese. Some regional versions exist.

Rapscallion

Comment

yum sounds good thanks!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          yum sounds good thanks!
          Pesto is sort of like an herbal crack. Seriously delicious stuff.

One of the main reasons I want my own blender is to make my own pesto.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            One of the main reasons I want my own blender is to make my own pesto.
            Food processor is better for pesto, hands down (speaking from years of personal experience and watching my grandpa go through countless blenders...) Unless you've got a high end blender, like a Vita Mix, it's going to crap out really quickly grinding down pine nuts for pesto. Blenders are generally better for liquid foods, like pureeing soups, and food processors do better with solids. Or better, yet get a blender that has a food processor attachment.

<quashes the Inner Italian back into her box> Heh, sorry, tend to go babbly and crazy when discussing Italian type foods I make all the time. Sorry if that seemed lecturing in anyway, not the intent at all, i swear!

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
              Food processor is better for pesto, hands down (speaking from years of personal experience and watching my grandpa go through countless blenders...) Unless you've got a high end blender, like a Vita Mix, it's going to crap out really quickly grinding down pine nuts for pesto. Blenders are generally better for liquid foods, like pureeing soups, and food processors do better with solids. Or better, yet get a blender that has a food processor attachment.

<quashes the Inner Italian back into her box> Heh, sorry, tend to go babbly and crazy when discussing Italian type foods I make all the time. Sorry if that seemed lecturing in anyway, not the intent at all, i swear!
              LOL! No, it's ok, I appreciate the advice! I'm just getting into serious cooking (though I've been a kitchen dabbler all my life). I have a food processor somewhere, but NO idea where it is...

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                Sorry if that seemed lecturing in anyway, not the intent at all, i swear!
                Nothing wrong with a lecture if the speaker knows their stuff. And have to concur on the blender vs. processor usage. Definitely dig yours out Joi if you're going to be doing nuts. (It's more consistent as well.)

Comment

Oh good! Glad it isn't too over the top! My grandpa (papa on my mom's side) lived in Italy most of his life, and immigrated over (He was in Sicily at the time, I believe). As a result, sweet gods help me if I use sauce from a jar and he finds out! And making lasagna or pizza without making my own dough? Grounds for being disowned right there.

I learned a lot about cooking from him, but at the same time, it's made me kind of picky about store bought sauces (although Muir Glen is pretty tasty for canned tomatoes/sauces...). I usually make a big batch of red sauce and freeze it. Alfredo doesn't freeze well, but pesto freezes beautifully!

Comment

Sometimes when I'm feeling weird, I put Pesto in the breadmaker and make Pesto Bread with it. You'd just reduce the oil content, because of the Pesto...but damn that's good good bread.
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                    X