This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    How would this fit in? When I was working with computers, one of my co-workers was virtually blind (had a VERY expensive setup in the office to accommodate him). He needed to install our in-house electronic mail system at home, and I was assigned to make up a set of install floppies to give him. The installation process required swapping the disks several times.

I dug out my Olfa knife and cut some small notches in the edges of the labels (one notch for disk 1, two for disk 2, and three for disk 3), and told him about the notches when I gave him the disks (he ran his finger over the edges to feel the notches). His text-to-voice system at home would ask for the disk in an audible manner, and the disks were identified in a tactile manner.

As for the issue of cabbies taking the scenic route, for a while when I went to visit family I'd catch a cab to the terminal where I'd catch the airport bus (cheaper than full cab ride). One time, coming home, I called from the platform to get a cab (by habit, I dealt with the cab company that my first employer used for on-the-job rides). Dispatcher wouldn't send a cab from the taxi stand around the corner to pick me up from the sidewalk at the bus driveway. Had to haul all my stuff to the taxi stand, made a beeline for the third cab in line (first 2 were the cab company that refused to send a cab to pick me up). Driver was surprised (looked like a slow night, and he expected to wait quite a while before getting a fare), guys in front of him were pissed. Hell, it wasn't a case of HIM jumping the line, it was ME choosing which cab to hire. Once in the cab, I told him what had happened, and he wasn't surprised. For years afterward, that was the cab company I dealt with.

Another trip, and I told the cabbie I wanted to be dropped off for the airport shuttle. He apologized, the terminal had recently been renovated and he didn't know exactly where was the right spot. I told him that I knew that, and had made a scouting trip (by city bus) the week before - directed him to the driveway for the bus (he couldn't go in, but he could and did drop me off beside the driveway, where it was a VERY short walk to the platform). Of course, this meant that he now knew where to drop off other people wanting to catch the shuttle.
    You would most definitely get the job!

Comment

Working...
    X