This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to get an FMLA

Dealt with a real PITA of a pt this week. First I felt bad for her- she was dealing with medical issues, then had a family member unexpectedly pass away, then had to be readmitted herself. Understandably upon discharge she wanted Family Medical Leave of Absence (FMLA). Generally this is no big deal. It involves a bunch of paperwork to prove you are ill enough to miss work. The MD or their office fills it out, the MD signs it, and the patient submits it to their place of work. Problem was, she filled out the paperwork HERSELF, deciding how much time off and disability she wanted, and just expected the MD to sign off on it. Of course the MD's would not sign something they did not write. She then proceeded to rant and rave that they PROMISED (yeah right) to sign it, that this was the last possible day for the paperwork to be in (you have 2 weeks to get it done, actually), and that it is the doctor's fault that she is now going to lose her job and be homeless. She also threw a fit because the MD could not give her right that very second a time and date for a non-emergent procedure (hello! it was Friday evening, and next week is a holiday). It took multiple visits from the manager, social worker and supervisor before she finally left in a huff complaining about how horrible we all were.

Oy vey.

That's the opposite of the experience I had when I had to pound desks to get someone to fill out the FMLA paperwork for me when I had to take a couple of weeks off work to get my mother into assisted living after she was hospitalized with urosepsis. The admitting doctor couldn't be bothered. I finally got hold of the case manager, and she got a doctor who worked in administration to fill it out for me. It was a pain.

The admitting doctor apparently wanted me to fill out her part (most of the form) so she could just sign it, and I protested that wasn't legal.

SC was lucky she got anything signed at all with her attitude, even though she really did need it.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I remember the ordeal my friend went thru getting her FMLA paperwork filled out prior to her maternity leave. She did what she was supposed to do, had it filled out weeks prior. Then just loads of stupidity. The paperwork was filled out, and lost, no less than 3x. Finally, 3 days before she's due to start the maternity leave (and yes, THAT pregnant), she's driving all over the place, getting signatures and hand-delivering the stuff. Lemme tell you, no one wants to argue with a pregnant nurse (oh, did I mention she's a nurse/paramedic/nurse-paramedic?) who's about to pop!
      "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

Quoth kmariem View Post
        The paperwork was filled out, and lost, no less than 3x.
        There are countermeasures against this sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
        X