This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacist Tells It Like It Is

While waiting for the meds to deal with my annual bout of bronchitis, I listened to a pharmacist have to deal with three sucky customers in a row.

The first wasn't so bad: this guy wanted the pharmacist to substitute a generic for a pricy brand name med, but the script didn't say a generic could be subbed, so no go. The guy fussed for a few minutes and then took the meds and left.

Second woman was yelling because she drove TEN MILES!!!* to pick up her meds and how dare they tell her that they didn't have enough to fill the script?!?!?!! She needed 90 pills, they had something like 60. How dare they not call her and tell her they didn't have the entire amount... when she called in to use the automated system to get the refill and then left the house immediately to come pick it up. Pharmacist tells her to call and talk to a live person next time, one of the options on the automated phone system. Politely offers to cancel he 'script and let her go somewhere else, but if she's in a hurry she needs to let him get back to work so he can finish filling the partial script now. No, she's not getting a discount for her inconvenience.

By the time he got to the third one, the pharmacist was done, and I don't blame him. The third woman had a coupon for a free month of an expensive med. Problem is, the coupon is for a proper dosage of XX mg twice per day, but the doc wrote the 'script for XX mg once per day. Since it isn't the proper dosage for the meds, the coupon doesn't apply. She starts screaming about how her husband is going to DIE because this pharmacist can't get a hold of her doctor at eight o'clock at night. Pharm asks how many days of meds the husband has left, and the woman admits that he has three days left, but the pharmacists was going to kill him if he didn't fill the 'script and give her the coupon NOW! The pharmacist had enough, and very firmly told her that the med was not for a life-threatening condition and if he has three days left then that's plenty of time for her to contact the doc and get the script rewritten. If she didn't want to wait then she could pay the $174 and go, but she would not be permitted to stand there and scream at him because she waited until the last minute to get a script refilled.

I wouldn't have heard any of these if the people hadn't been yelling their private conversations loud enough for everyone within 20 ft to hear them and making the pharmacist raise his voice to be heard over their yelling. Idiots.

*Yes, she yelled that at the top of her lungs. The Wally World is at the edge of a major city with lots and lots of small farm towns spread out around it. Ten miles is seriously no big deal in this case.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

What is wrong with people? Even when I have been in a lot of pain I have been better behaved. If there were some reason I couldn't get my meds I'd simply ask for advice on OTCs or something. Maybe the pharmacist knows if there is a bigger dose I could take temporarily or something else I could do. I don't yell at anyone, but I especially don't want to yell at the person with helpful information!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ten miles is seriously no big deal in this case.
      I don't think it's a big deal in ANY case. Not if she's driving. How long it took to drive there depends on the speed limit, of course, but even at 30 mph, it would take her, what, about 20 minutes to drive there? If the weather was very bad that could be a pain, but otherwise? Not so much.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ten miles..what a whiner After my stay in the hospital, I traveled 30 miles to the pharmacy in my neck of the woods which would accept my insurance card.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

LOL! Yeah, I really thought she was dredging the bottom of the complaint bucket to come up with a complaint about that. Then again, I know people here in the city who think going more than three exits up the interstate (where the exits are one mile apart) is too far. Seriously, if they can't find what they want within a one-mile radius, they go online to have it delivered.

First World Problems, people.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Ten miles..what a whiner After my stay in the hospital, I traveled 30 miles to the pharmacy in my neck of the woods which would accept my insurance card.
            I got talked into heading over to a friends house in Oswego NY to recoup after spending close to 40 pounds, a 7 month still birth and a month in hospital at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester NY, and about 10 miles outside of town [back when there was a whole heap of NOTHING on the road between Rochester and Oswego] when my car died. I walked about 7 miles before finding a house with lights on that didn't look like an axe murderer lived there. Ah for the wonderful pre-cell phone days. It took my friends around 30 minutes to actually get there and pick me up - being college students they had to scrounge around for someone with a car that was willing to come get me at 11 at night. [They were concerned about me staying alone in my own apartment for the next couple of weeks.....]

Producing ID when asked, easy. Not being grumpy when I don't make the closing time, or the store is out of something, not a problem. Calling ahead and getting a person when I need to confirm they have my meds before leaving [if ROb is not going t stop and pick them up on the way home, saving me a special trip] geedunk. I am generally just actually happy to still be alive
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
            X