This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber Ass

This happened toward the end of my shift. I had been on register for 4 hours (so my back was not good--ironically moving/lifting fixes it), had my intelligence insulted a number of times (predictably, the SC was always in the wrong) and had finally been allowed to finish the project J gave me a week ago (every previous time I tried to finish it, AssMan didn't believe someone had given me something to do).

I'm in the (employee only) back hallway wrestling with a bundle of bags. My back is to the salesfloor so I don't see this guy. I do hear someone going "Hello, hello, HELLO!" but as I can't see him I assume he's talking to someone else (there are presently 4 coworkers out on the floor that one can ask for help, where I am is not visible from the floor unless you're trespassing into a prep/staging area). Then as I finally get a grip on the bags and start to turn around I see someone moving toward me...not a CW. I step back, still holding the bags in front of me. Big guy wearing an Uber shirt (UA) is glaring at me and I'm momentarily cornered in the returns/bag area.

Me: "This is an employee area and you need to leave NOW. If you want something there are employees on the salesfloor five feet behind you."
    UA: "Can you hear me? Do you speak? Where is--?" (his accent was extremely thick and he was mumbling to boot, so it took me about two seconds to parse that he actually meant "bathroom")
    Me: "BACK of the store past the meat department through the double doors. Leave this area now."
    UA as he's walking off: "You are stupid. You not mute, answer me!"
    Me: "ExCUSE me, what?!"
    J: "ExCUSE me, what did you say to her?" I thought he was going to chase UA down and smack him.
    I wait until he's out of sight and then tell S, whose jaw hit the floor.

UA later passes me as he's leaving (not buying anything, as J was on register then), I'm on SCO and so have to be by the door.
    UA: "You know, you can be nice if you want to. Show some respect for the men." (yes, he went there )
    Me: "You know, respect goes both ways."

J commented that technically our bathroom is for customers only...as in, people who actually buy stuff. K had been hoping that UA had some kind of ID on him...classy, a driver treating other service workers like dirt.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Show some respect for the men
    To me this is like showing the proverbial red flag to a bull. It would have been impossible for me not to answer him, probably with something like "I show respect where it's earned. Just being a man doesn't mean you deserve it."

Good think I don't work with customers face to face. They're bad enough on the phone.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Putting aside the respect men thing for a sec, what about respect for rules? Generally I don't use the "respect is earned" argument, I respect everyone until they show me that they shouldn't be respected. (On the other hand, I do think that trust is earned.) This person broke the rule of the store by being in an employee only area, then insulted an employee. Plus being cornered. So yeah, no respect, he should have been happy you even told him where the bathroom was and didn't just yell at him to get out.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We tend to get a lot of SCs who think rules are there to inconvenience them. I'd never seen this guy before at all (and don't mind if I never see him again).

Comment

I don't know why, but I was thinking about this guy on my way to work this morning. The following conversation took place in my head:

Uberass: you could be nicer to men, you know
          Me: Maybe if you were nicer to women, I would be.

Yeah . . . I always get those snappy comebacks hours after the fact. So much for witty repartee.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            Yeah . . . I always get those snappy comebacks hours after the fact. So much for witty repartee.
            I think it's the shock of being spoken to that way that has our brains lock up.

I usually just stop what I'm doing and raise my eyebrow when I cop disrespect like that
            Last edited by EricKei; 04-15-2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              Big guy wearing an Uber shirt (UA) is glaring at me and I'm momentarily cornered in the returns/bag area.

UA later passes me as he's leaving (not buying anything, as J was on register then),
              He wasn't buying anything, but was he trying to shopLyft something?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I respect men, not boys who need their mama to prompt them to act right.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  Esprit d'escalier
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                    I think it's the shock of being spoken to that way that has our brains lock up.
                    Yes, it does. Especially if you work in customer service and know you aren't allowed to tell people precisely what you think of them.

Sadly, life is not scripted like a sitcom, and it's rare to think of witty things to say at the correct moment. On the bright side, no canned laughter.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      .classy, a driver treating other service workers like dirt.
                      It actually doesn't surprise me... every Uber driver I've met hasn't seen themselves as service workers, they're independent contractors and proud of it. They have their own business and us peons working for someone else should bow to them.

I just loved when I worked at the c-store and I would see cars at the pump with Uber stickers have drivers come in and prepay and ask for a receipt "for tax purposes" and then treat me like I was an idiot when I pointed out that they would need to come in for a final receipt for it to be accepted for taxes... after all, what would a convenience store clerk know of tax requirements... well, let's see, that convenience store clerk is qualified to sit for the CPA exam, was working a second job to pay their student loans off quicker, and knows that the IRS won't allow you to claim fuel purchases if you are claiming a standard miles deduction, so I hope that you are keeping all of your automotive expenses cataloged and are allocating them based on personal and business, and second, if you are in fact keeping track of all of your expenses rather than a standard miles deduction, they won't accept a prepaid ticket, they need a final receipt that proves you didn't prepay $40 but only pumped $20. And, if it is diesel instead of gasoline and you operate interstate and are subject to IFTA rules, then it needs to have the number of gallons printed on it, which prepay tickets don't include.
                      Yeah, I think I know something about taxes.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Some of the rideshare drivers are worse than the regular idiots--and even the cabbies--on the road in my town. If there's local roadwork going on, it's a good bet that someone so oblivious to the "Road Closed" signs as to drive right up to a backhoe--and then try to start arguing with the operator and cops--is a rideshare driver. Both of us have nearly gotten hit by those clowns more times than I can count.

Comment

Working...
                        X