Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

today's comedy of errors & capacity, what's that?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today's comedy of errors & capacity, what's that?

Well, today started off fun. Been stuck on the phone most of the morning, people wanting to set up materials pick up/delivery. It's landscaping season; sand, rocks, topsoil, gravel, etc, I've got loads of em all coming or going.

About 10am a trucker walks in the shop, needs to find whoever can get him unloaded. I'm given the load sheet, it's my 20 cages(wire cage on top of a pallet, about 4ft square) of granite. Tell him to pull into the yard, I'll go get the forklift. I apparently wasn't paying attention, because the secretary said the trucker said he'd pull up to the loading dock. If I would have heard loading dock, I would have been prepared when I came around the building on the fork. My 20 cages were in an enclosed trailer, which my fork does not fit in(too tall, too heavy). To compound things, it turned out that the cages were on heavy duty pallets, none of which we could get any of my pallet jacks into. As such, we had to chain and drag each pallet to the back of the trailer, then pick them up from the tailgate.

Regular came in today, loaded up, that decided he'd rather get his stones delivered. He was by the big pile o random rock, loading his trailer like a kid in a candy store. He backed up next to the pile, off of the gravel pathways. It's currently axle deep in the lot and most assuredly well over it's capacity. I'd guess he's got 2 yards of stone on there, and its' a single axle trailer, which means max GVW around 2500-3000 lbs. Only trying to double it's capacity. Sheesh

Some of the guys are just going to winch it into one of our dump trailers once things dry off a little and we'll drop the whole shebang off for him.

Had another customer in with exactly the opposite problem. Wanted 5 cubic yards of topsoil and came in with a trailer capable of holding that much. The towing vehicle, on the other hand, was a bit lacking. All trucks are not equal, and 5 cubic yards is a LOT of weight. Topsoil varies, because there's a lot of moisture carrying capacity, but it's usually between 1700-2400 lbs per cubic yard. We usually call it a ton a yard for guesstimates. An Avalanche might be a "truck" but it's not a "real truck" to those in the know. Towing capacity on an Avalanche is probably around 5,000 lbs. Respectable for most purposes, but the dump trailer they borrowed is only a couple hundred lbs shy of that empty, let alone adding five tons of dirt. They left without their dirt, off to return the trailer from whoever loaned it to them, and the dump truck will deliver their tonnage later today.

Oh yay, next problem just rang in. The beach sand I'm importing for a customer just cleared customs. Expecting four trucks, four are coming. However, I was expecting flatbeds with super sacks. Getting loose sand in dump trailers. It's not the end of the world, it just means I have to replan my project logistics. We were expecting 2000 lb super sacks.

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
    ... Getting loose sand in dump trailers... We were expecting 2000 lb super sacks.
    Decisions, decisions! Do I bag it or do I bag it?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
    X