This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady, we waste a lot of stuff

and so does she, probably. This wasn't my sucktomer; it was my coworker B's, and I feel like I've posted about her before. She's done this to him every time he's rung her out. She rips off the survey and chucks it at him, complaining that we waste paper, thus "kill trees"*.

It's good she hasn't done it to me because I'd be tempted to retort "We do waste paper. Water, too. It's a shame. 6,000 kids worldwide are gonna die of water related diseases tomorrow and every day after that."--subtext You care more about trees than people. and I'd get in trouble.

The other reply I could use is "There's a section on the survey ( the one you just chucked at my face ) where you can tell [Company] you don't want surveys printed." Oh, the irony.

* Trees can be grown for the purpose of making paper. ??
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I know you said she's done this before, but yesterday was Earth Day, so good timing on this one.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

And what about all the paper mills going out of business because we're going paperless?

And you're right, they grow trees specifically for paper and harvest them young. We don't use old growth forests for paper.

Comment

So...she rips off the survey page, rendering it unusable (instead of sending it in and expressing her opinion), thereby wasting paper, eh?
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hopes she never goes to a government office. Come to my office and you will be handed a 20+ page application to fill out. (Many of the pages are customer information and legal speak.) When you sit in my cube, I'll put all of that info into the computer and give you the application back. And, just because you didn't do it at our handy-dandy computer kiosks, I'll print out 1 to 3 signature pages (3 pages each), depending on how many services you need, have you sign them, have them scanned and then shredded.

We are the government. We don't just kill trees, we devastate forests. And we LIKE it!!!

(Actually, I don't like it but we can't force anyone to do their application online if they want paper. I do tell people that their interview could have been 10 minutes instead of an hour if they had done it online, but that's as passive aggressive that I'm allowed to be.)

Comment

Yes, because the cashier has control over the receipts. Yelling at them is so much easier than taking the time to try to find a constructive way to make a difference.

Most large companies probably waste way more than necessary. The company looks at cost first, that's just the way the world works. So they will recycle if it's cost effective, not because they really care. Or they do it so they can tell people they are environmentally friendly and thus gain money from those customers.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              So...she rips off the survey page, rendering it unusable (instead of sending it in and expressing her opinion), thereby wasting paper, eh?
              Exactly. She's dense, isn't she?
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                And what about all the paper mills going out of business because we're going paperless?
                There's one group of paper mills that will never go out of business. They make the paper we need when we do our "business" and afterwards it just gets flushed down the toilet. Can't even recycle it, not that I would want to.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  There's one group of paper mills that will never go out of business. They make the paper we need when we do our "business" and afterwards it just gets flushed down the toilet. Can't even recycle it, not that I would want to.
                  It can technically be recycled - it can be composted and turned into night soil.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

We need that siggy-No trees were harmed in the making of this email.However a large number of electrons were dreadfully inconvenienced. Just wish I could remember who the hell it belongs to :P
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      We need that siggy-No trees were harmed in the making of this email.However a large number of electrons were dreadfully inconvenienced. Just wish I could remember who the hell it belongs to :P
                      Neil Degrasse Tyson
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Well, he's one of the folks to use it, anyway ^_^ That one's been around for some time now -- well over a decade. I loves it so.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think I've seen it as a sig in Usenet posts from the 90s, even...
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I used it at work today. Someone made a mistake with their online application, I asked about it, person apologized, I said "I fixed it for you, no harm, no foul, even though you did inconvenience some electrons." She laughed.

Comment

We used to have people bitching at us for wasting plastic, pre-bag tax. Now, I'm certain that the same people are bitching about having to pay 5p for one of our new bags. We also get people who are convinced that we're making loads of money off them cuz we force them to buy bags. Um, your car is parked right outside, why not save 5p and carry your lunch in your arms instead? Oh and the money earned off the bags goes to charity, fyi.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X