This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    In the Black Saturday disaster, we - hopefully the whole world - learned that no matter what humans do, some fires cannot be prevented, contained, or defended against.

Please, no matter how safe you think your home is, everyone everywhere should have an evacuation plan, and an emergency radio which is independant of mains power.
    Yep this, this and more this.

We were driving from Queensland to home in Victoria during the Canberra fires in 2003 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires). We were driving through the centre of New South Wales (approx 200kms away from the fires) with the wind blowing from us towards Canberra and we had places where it was difficult to breath and the smoke was obscuring vision.

But the Black Saturday fires were just a whole other nightmare. It's still hard to believe what happened. One thing everyone learnt was that it's never too early to leave when there is a bushfire.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

If I recall, the Canberra fires not only got into the suburbs, but spawned a firestorm.

(Checks)

Ah yes. A fire tornado, spawned from the pyrocumulus clouds, and it apparently exceeded F3 on the Fujita scale.

Short form, to quote Buffy: "Fire bad. Tree pretty."
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Fire bad.
        Is it just me, or does anyone else flashback to Phil Hartman upon hearing those two words?

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
          Yep this, this and more this.

We were driving from Queensland to home in Victoria during the Canberra fires in 2003 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires). We were driving through the centre of New South Wales (approx 200kms away from the fires) with the wind blowing from us towards Canberra and we had places where it was difficult to breath and the smoke was obscuring vision.

But the Black Saturday fires were just a whole other nightmare. It's still hard to believe what happened. One thing everyone learnt was that it's never too early to leave when there is a bushfire.
          I was in Japan during the Canberra bushfires - my mother woke me up with a phone call that started "So, just letting you know your house is probably going to burn down" and my housemates/renters got forcibly evacuated twice. Do have a look at the animated map on the Wiki page, it's freaking scary.

Comment

DH and I both have red eyes and runny noses from the smoke... north of Denver.

Please, God, bring rain.
            I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
            - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Holy crap, are you serious? The smoke from those fires reached Alberta!

Some people are crazy.

Comment

Working...
              X