Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I deal with a lot of older people via email and yes, some of them are very savvy. My own dad (who would be 80 this year) was well up to speed on just about everything he needed. And I have several users over the age of 75 who use multiple Gmail addresses like a boss.

That said, some of those savvy folk do cling to their AOL addresses just because of what An Haddock said; it's stupid difficult to switch. Another significant bunch refuses to trust anything web-based; they will only use the email address their ISP provides to them, which often use horribly clunky interfaces or lard their message up with ads so badly my gmail-based work account rejects them as spam.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post

So, yeah, I'm a proud AOL user. In fact, I volunteered for AOL as a chat room host (remember those?) for 10 years!
      Yes I do I wondered if they still had them anyways I would like to get AOL I think you can get AOL desktop for free not sure im going to look into tho I still like AOL

Comment

My dad says he's too old to learn how to use a computer. He's 83. I don't think he's so much too old as too chicken, as he's always been afraid of making mistakes.

** Don't get me wrong. I love my dad, but it's well known in our family that he loathes trying anything new.

Comment

I still use an AOL address. Have had it over 10 years. We've bonded.

Comment

Quoth xxscooterxx View Post
            I still use an AOL address. Have had it over 10 years. We've bonded.
            Cyanoacrylate love. Look what's stuck to you!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My grandfather (in law) probably uses the computer more than I do. He has trouble getting out and about due to medical concerns, so the computer is a social lifeline to him and he very quickly made certain he learned how to do everything he wanted to do with it (mostly scanning in and sharing photos).

Comment

Was it an AOL email address?

Comment

I know it is an older post however, my ex screamed at me that she HAS to use AOL to get online, despite having a wireless 4G card in her computer that gets her internet anywhere she has cell signal, she threw a fit when I just opened IE and went to google saying i did it wrong as was breaking her machine, I do not miss her.

Quoth XRogue View Post
                  I have seen an aol email address or 9 still in use. AFAIK it coulda been anything for an OS, after all that troubleshooting I would be surprised if the lady could have told 95 from 98.
                  Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                  pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                    I know it is an older post however, my ex screamed at me that she HAS to use AOL to get online, despite having a wireless 4G card in her computer that gets her internet anywhere she has cell signal, she threw a fit when I just opened IE and went to google saying i did it wrong as was breaking her machine, I do not miss her.

Don't blame you a bit. How the eff could she think you were breaking her machine?

Comment

Quoth XRogue View Post
                      Don't blame you a bit. How the eff could she think you were breaking her machine?
                      Simple: Wraiths was using it better than she was. Since she couldn't admit that, it must now be broken.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's pretty much a rule that once an IT person touches a computer, everything that ever goes "wrong" on that machine is their fault. Doesn't matter if it was broken before the tech ever touched it. Doesn't matter if it broke after it was fixed, due to user idiocy. Doesn't matter if nothing is actually wrong with it, it's still the tech's fault. There's another thread on here right now that is basically a perfect example of this rule.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Simple: Wraiths was using it better than she was. Since she couldn't admit that, it must now be broken.
                          Lort, a long lost relative of my ex-mil, Moogi!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            It's pretty much a rule that once an IT person touches a computer, everything that ever goes "wrong" on that machine is their fault.
                            ...and that is why I don't do tech support for certain people.

For example, before my dad lost his mind and left, he was always bitching and moaning about slow his machine was. Granted, it was a cheap piece of shit to begin with, but I got tired of the constant whining. So did everyone else in that house. When he went out of town, I "kidnapped" it, did a massive cleaning up--removing the 8-9 IE toolbars, cleaned off all the spyware, dealt with the viruses, and had that piece of crap running better than new. Within a week, he had trashed it again--all of the crap had returned, along with some new ones. When he found out that I'd touched his machine, I got screamed at. That was the last time I said I'd work on that machine. If he wanted me to fix it after that...he could pony up $50 an hour, with a minimum of 3 hours. If I'm going to get screamed at, I'm going to damn well get paid for it
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              ... If I'm going to get screamed at, I'm going to damn well get paid ...
                              ... or laid ...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X