This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter driving in Ohio

Why, why, why do people insist on tailgating when there is snow on the road?

There have been times when Route 57 is snowy and I don't feel safe going much more than 25 mph, it's so snowy. Throw in the fact that I no longer have the minivan I had for 14 years (from 2002 to 2016) and I now have a 2002 Saturn Vue (nice compact SUV and stick-shift) and need to get used to how it handles.

On top of that it's a bit hilly around here. Once I was going around a curve on Eastern Road at Route 585 and had to slow down for some deer that were crossing. There was a bit of snow on the road, too.

I was more worried about the yahoo that just about rear-ended my van than I was about hitting the deer. I tend to slow down in that area because you're going downhill and around a curve, and I see deer there a LOT.

They'll even tailgate you in near-blizzard conditions. About a year ago I was driving through a snow squall on I-76. There were still people wanting to pass, and I was going no more than 10 mph!

I go as fast as I can safely go. Once I was headed to church, out near Medina, and Chippewa Road is notoriously crappy when it snows--and there's the fact that it's hilly and curvy. I was going about 25 mph and some idjit decided that wasn't fast enough and passed. When I pulled into the parking lot, a friend of mine said she saw that (she and her husband wound up behind me) and thought that driver was absolutely nuts.
    Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Quoth Alexandra View Post
    I now have a 2002 Saturn Vue (nice compact SUV and stick-shift) and need to get used to how it handles.
    Where did you manage to get your hands on that? When the Vue (and its corporate twins) was offered in Canada, it was only available with a slushbox.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A friend of mine picked up one new. They got a super deal on it, because a manual-transmission version with the lowest-powered engine wasn't selling. For months.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

It ain't no better up near the lake, Alexandra. Trust me.

Not to mention that Ohio drivers forget how to drive in snow if they haven't seen any in, oh, just over 12 hours. Anything more than that, and the skills go right out the window.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

It's no better down here in SW PA. When we get snow, everyone in the state seems to lose their damn minds. Granted, the city sucks at clearing streets. I've lived in the Pittsburgh area 40 years, and have only seen one salt truck. Hell, I thought they were mythical creatures But seriously, I can understand going slow if conditions are bad--blowing snow, ice, and you can't see very well. I get that. What drives me up the wall, are the idiots who chug along at 5mph on a perfectly clean road
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We had a little bit of rain her the other day. Not a ton- just enough for wipers to be necessary. Based on how everyone was driving, you'd think the world was coming to an end. Either 30 mph below the limit, or trying for 25 mph above.

To quote an old Cleveland traffic reporter, "Apparently driving ability is water-soluble."
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
            X