This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worst Kind of Mistake...

... is one where you did what you thought was a good job, and cocked it up anyway.

I just discovered today I pulled one of these, and I'm feeling like a complete loser because of it.

Backstory:

On Saturday, I got an alarm in my region for the Pride Center, which is (As far as I can tell) and organization for supporting Gay and Lesbians, alternative lifestyles and whatnot. The only real reason I mention that is it's important to my thought processes when I did the patrol.

Now, the alarm was a single internal motion alarm. No glass break alarms, no door alarms. Normally, these are almost guaranteed false alarms, because it's pretty much impossible to set off a single motion detector in the middle of a building without opening a door or breaking a window to get in. Still, due diligence requires we treat them as legitimate until proven otherwise.

When I arrived on site, I saw what the Pride Center was, and what part of town it was in (Namely, BAD), and immediately my instincts told me this place was a huge target (Edmonton is a redneck town). I decided I was going to take this patrol more seriously and give the place the extra once over, just in case.

I did a full drive around of the building first, didn't note anything that seemed amiss. Then got out and did a full walk around, checking all the doors and (What I thought were) all the windows. I peered inside, since the lights were on, and didn't see anything that looked amiss. We didn't have keys for the place, and there was no lockbox, so I couldn't do an interior patrol.

I thought I had been thorough. I was DEAD SURE the place was secure and safe.

Today, I found out I had missed something. Specifically, a window. More specifically, a window that had been smashed out. Someone had broken into the place and RANSACKED it.

I don't know I could miss something like a smashed window. It was in the alleyway, and it was dark, but I walked close enough to that building I should have heard glass crunching under my feet. But I did.

Mistakes are bad enough when you know what you did wrong... whether it be brainfart, negligence, lack of knowledge, etc... but what about when as far as you remember, you honestly tried to do everything you were supposed to, and somehow managed to screw up.

I'd almost feel better about this if I had been overtired, or just not giving a damn, or distracted by something, but I can honestly say that wasn't the case. I was more focused on doing this alarm right than most. That's why it disturbs me so much that I messed up this badly.

I don't think I'll be canned over this, but I've probably earned a write up. They made me re-write my report with more detail, which will only serve to make me look like more of an incompetent boob.

Nothing like trying your best and failing miserably to completely kick out the underpinnings of your self confidence.
    Check out my webcomic!

Think of it this way: now you know about that window, so if (when) you get another alarm from the center, you know to check it. Please try not to beat yourself up too much.

I posted a thread recently about filling in at <other location> and how much busier it was than <home location>. I thought I was doing well considering I'm used to working at a much slower pace and I'm not used to having to hook up EKGs and take blood pressures. But apparently I wasn't doing as well as I thought and I don't know if I'll ever work there again.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Did you see what the window looked like when it was found out that you missed it?

If not, it's possible that it was broken in such a way as to avoid being easily spotted.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's possible the perpetrator waited inside while the place was closed, or entered another way, and broke the window as he was leaving.

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
          I don't know I could miss something like a smashed window. It was in the alleyway, and it was dark, but I walked close enough to that building I should have heard glass crunching under my feet. But I did.
          if the person smashed the window in, most of the glass would be on the inside. so chances are, you would've been walking on glass. also, like you said, it was dark. probably dark in the building. 2 darks = something your eyes won't automatically take notice of.
          i used to know a security guard that would tap windows with a stick as they walked by, just to make sure they won't broken. it's pretty easy to miss.
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Working...
          X