Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I renewed my license, was just after Christmas. Surprisingly it wasn't that busy, but I waited longer than I had to because I misread the Express service sign and didn't realize license renewals were an express service. (I'm pretty sure I've told this story before)

In any case, after getting through the line, I had my photo taken and was waiting with the guy ahead of me for our new cards to be issued (licenses are issued on site), when the thermal printer roll had to be changed. (One of the laminating layers basically, with the holograms on it).

Clerk changed it, and of course, the printer forgot how to talk to the computer. Reboot one, reboot the other, reboot both, reset, replace the cards, the laminate rolls, etc... nothing was working. IIRC there were 3 or 4 of us waiting for our cards at that point, waiting patiently as the clerks struggled to convince the computer that the printer was in order and that it could really print the data on the verified device and all that. Of course, being between XMas and New Years, tech support was pretty much out of the question.

Finally, the higher up clerk said to "Make them paper licenses and we'll mail them" (about an hour later I think); they were looking for the paper temp licenses when the printer and computer suddenly realized they were best buds again, and started printing the queued cards. No clue what changed, frustrating as hell, but amusing in hindsight.
    Last edited by Jetfire; 04-24-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
      Finally, the higher up clerk said to "Make them paper licenses and we'll mail them" (about an hour later I think); they were looking for the paper temp licenses when the printer and computer suddenly realized they were best buds again, and started printing the queued cards.
      Sounds like they realized that someone might pull something along the lines of the following:

$Name, that great $role,
      Seized old Computer by the powercord,
      And shook it until its pixels winked in agony,
      And System Errors appeared on its screen,
      And the soul of the machine begged for mercy.
      Then $Name said,
      "$Perform_Task, Computer,
      Or I'll feed you no more fat electrons".

Cookies for reference.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's entirely possible that they just needed to be left to sort things out for a few minutes. So when they were trying to troubleshoot, everything they tried actually disrupted the handshaking process, causing it to reset...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Sounds like they realized that someone might pull something along the lines of the following:

"$Perform_Task, Computer,
          Or I'll feed you no more fat electrons".

Cookies for reference.
          *laughter* Thanks! I needed that today....
          Last edited by EricKei; 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
          Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story who you choose to be. So who are you? - Kung Fu Panda 2

Comment

We do our plates at the tax office here, too. As for inspections -- they've never exactly been rigorous...."Brake lights? Check. Blinkers? Check. Wipers? Check. Horn? Check. Exhaust not spewing visible smog? Check. You pass. Here's your sticker; that'll be fifteen bucks." And now, they've gone the "Oh f*** it" route. As of a few months ago, brake tags....er, I mean, inspection stickers...are no longer required in this state at all.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X