X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you injure yourself we will laugh at you

Is what the waiver should've said.
    But no, it said, "you will not blame us for injury or death."
    I went white water rafting the past weekend with a group of friends. The guide didn't know what he was doing. He would guide us all right -- into every rock at high speed!! Three of us fell out, myself included. I landed on a very large, concrete like rock. If you think of an egg thrown against a wall, that's me. SPLAT.
    I landed my on side and injured my arm badly, and tried to stay ontop of the rock to avoid getting washed away down the river. I was panicked, because I always see in the movies people getting washed away and going down a waterfall. Fortunately, that's not what happened, I was able to hold on.
    The guide came in to rescue me, and he asked if I was injured. I said yes. And he just laughed! Harder than I ever saw anyone laugh!
    So we continued down the river and I don't know if I was much help, since my arm was injured and bleeding everywhere and hurting. Meanwhile, the guide just kept laughing about it! It was a really evil hysterical laugh, joker-esqe style! What a psycho.
    I don't know, maybe he left his manners back on shore. But I was raised to not laugh at injured people. It's rude. What do you all think?
    BTW, my arm wasn't broken when I got home, it was just swollen and scraped up really bad. Still hurts.
    The guide urged us to write a review online. SO I did
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Methinks a complaint to his manager may be in order. Though to be fair, if he was new and scared (which seems likely given how well he did his job) it could have been nervous laughter. Some people laugh when they're actually freaked out. It's almost a reflex, like laughing when tickled. How did he treat you otherwise? Did he make jokes at your expense? Get you help? Was he trying and failing to help you, or just didn't care?
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 08-26-2015, 04:16 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
      Though to be fair, if he was new and scared (which seems likely given how well he did his job) it could have been nervous laughter. Some people laugh when they're actually freaked out. It's almost a reflex, like laughing when tickled.
      I am weird because I laugh when I get hurt. It's very odd, and I've done it since I was little. I can't remember crying when I was hurt. (not counting really bad cramps!) My parents knew I was hurt if I was silent or if they heard a *thud* and then laughing. Anyway, laughing at an injured person = Not Good... He should have bit his lip or done something to STOP it.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Definitely have a calm talk with the manager about both that, and his tendency to ram the rafts into rocks he should have known were there if he's even remotely familiar with the route...which he should be. He's called a "guide" for a reason.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
          Methinks a complaint to his manager may be in order. Though to be fair, if he was new and scared (which seems likely given how well he did his job) it could have been nervous laughter. Some people laugh when they're actually freaked out. It's almost a reflex, like laughing when tickled. How did he treat you otherwise? Did he make jokes at your expense? Get you help? Was he trying and failing to help you, or just didn't care?
          I heard him mumbling back there and laughing but I was too busy trying not fall off again to pay much attention. Lord knows who's the manager there, I'm happy with just reviewing. I had forgotten his name, so I described him as best I could in it: short, tiny, deeply tan. ;P
          BTW, I had fallen on my leg too and thought I'd see a bruise there...but it was on my back! Weird. A big nasty looking black one. Hop I didn't get any internal damage :\

Comment

HotelMinion, see a doc about that. My husband had the same thing happen and it turned out he had some kind of nerve damage.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Injury to your back, but pain expressed in the leg rather than the back? Definitely means 'go to a doctor'.

In fact, go to a doctor and have your injuries catalogued. Disclaimers only go so far: especially if your guide was incompetent or negligent.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                The guide urged us to write a review online. SO I did
                Any chance we can see the review, or you could post the text here?

Definitely go see the doctor, get everything documented and taken care of. Also, try to find out who's in charge of the rafting excursions (I hope it isn't your psycho guide!) They might not read the online reviews, but they need to know what this jerk did to you and your group.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Knowing Dr.s, they'll probably just prescribe me painkillers and charge me extra $200 for the visit. :\
                  A sign of internal damage is constant excruciating pain, and I'm not in pain, just soreness in my back and arm. My leg is fine. The funny thing is, my elbow has a big dollar bill size scrape and bleeding a little bit still.. but the bruise is on the inside crook of my arm, directly on the other side! What I think happened was, when I was falling, I threw out my hands to stop myself from face planting, and my palms promptly slipped off the rock because of the water, which caused my to fall hard on my left elbow, and the impact was so strong that it went THRU my arm onto the other side, causing a bruise there. The same thing happened with my back. I fell on my upper leg/thigh, the force went thru my hips, and out my back, near the tailbone, forming a bruise there. It sounds strange, but somehow I think it's true. For some reason, I'm fascinated by weird injuries. :\
                  And I basically wrote what I wrote in my first post, that the guide didn't know what he was doing, and they should train them better in my review. I didn't write that he laughed, even tho it was true. I just said that he couldn't care less about my injury. It's still pending, so I don't know if it'll get posted, my last one didn't by the site moderators over there I guess. :\ oh well.

Comment

Working...
                  X