X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer chose not to buy her groceries afterall

This incident happened today at work.

Female customer came to my line and spent $4.38 on groceries.

She wrote a check for $30.48.

The address on her check is not a local address. She lives in an unincorporated community not anywhere near the location of the grocery store I work at.

So after I ran her check through, a message pops up on the screen stating *cashback amount exceeded limit*

So I tell her that, and I show her the message that is on the screen.

She does not understand why that is happening. She tells me the following...
    • I shop here every week.
    • I shop here on my home from work, and I work close to this store
    • I was able to get cash back at Customer Service
    • One of the Managers approved my check last week for cash back

So I flag down one of the front end supervisors.

She comes over to the register I was assigned to. I show her the error message.
    She tells the customer that she cannot accept her check. The customer tells her the same things she told me. So I run her check again, and the same error message pops up on the screen.

The supervisor tells her that she cannot accept her check. The customer asks her to call a Manager, because a Manager will approve her check.

Meanwhile there is a line of customers waiting to be checked out.

The supervisors calls over the intercom for a Manager to either call her or come directly to the cash register I was assigned to.

A Manager calls her, and she explains the situation.

That Manager does not approve the override. The supervisor then asks her how she would like to pay for her groceries.

The customer chooses not to buy her $4.38 worth of groceries and leaves.

The supervisor voids the entire transaction.

She apologized for holding up the line, but she could have just paid for the groceries instead of leaving them for someone to put them back up.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 04-14-2017, 01:19 AM.

She was probably only buying the groceries so she could get cash back. She was trying to kite another check because she knew she didn't have money on her card.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
      She was probably only buying the groceries so she could get cash back. She was trying to kite another check because she knew she didn't have money on her card.
      kite: a check drawn against uncollected funds in a bank account or fraudulently raised before cashing

Yeah...

Sorry lady, but my employer does not want to loose money from a customer who does not have enough funds in their checking account to pay for their groceries.

That is just not a good business decision.

Comment

Glad management didn't back down on this one...

Comment

Cashback about 5X the amount sounds like kiting or writing a check just to get cash without the fees.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've done the "small purchase when I need cash and don't want ATM fees" thing, but I used my debit card for that.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

It would not surprise me that you have a $25 cash back limit on checks. If only she had wrote it for $29.48 instead.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

This is exactly why my store will not allow checks written over the amount. Once I told the sucktomer that she could get cash back with her debit and she got all offended because she knew that and didn't need to be told, eleventy. She was probably trying to kite a check. People get all pissy when caught. Well, she thought I was catching her, but honestly the thought didn't cross my mind at all. My innocently helpful statement probably struck her that way due to a guilty conscience.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

She is into cashback and not into that grocery stuff, but as the saying goes " a customer is always right." Good thing you have such patience dealing with such client.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    I've done the "small purchase when I need cash and don't want ATM fees" thing, but I used my debit card for that.
                    I have as well, but usually if I only need a small amount of cash back (say $10 or $20) and I'm using my prepaid debit card (cash back at the POS at work doesn't cost me as it would using a bank ATM, which is a $3.00 fee.) My bank debit card I'll also use, but also if it's not a large amount (otherwise I'll use the drive up ATM at the branch near my house.)

But that's only also IF I have the funds in that account to cover it. And I have smartphone apps for both accounts so I know at any given moment what my available balances are.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X