This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get enough respect at work?

In general I feel respected by my manager and my coworkers. The company I work for however, I don't think has enough respect for its employees nor do they adequately appreciated how hard we work. The memos from corporate are negative far more often than they are positive. It's usually more about what we are NOT selling enough of and where are NOT being competitive enough and how we are not working hard enough on upsells than any kind of "Hey good job" or "well done!".

My customers are a mixed bag. I have a few regulars who really respect me, then a second tier of customers who fall somewhere in the middle and of course then I have customers who don't respect me or my company or our policies one bit.

I hate how sometimes my interactions with corporate make me feel like I am totally expendable. Which, though it may be accurate the way economy is, does hurt me a bit. I've worked for this company for awhile and worked pretty damned hard if I may say so and instead of that being recognized, it's this constant barrage of messages with the underlying message being: "You are not good enough." or "You're not working hard enough."

Now I know some of you are thinking "Find a new job" and yes, I do plan to start actively searching soon. However my current job seems pretty stable. Though corporate is intense about numbers (and no, I'm not commissioned), they haven't pulled the "bring em up or you're fired!" card on me and like I said, I get along great with my manager and he thinks I'm a solid worker.

I know it's a buyers market as far as employees go these days and companies don't really see their labor force as much more than numbers on a spreadsheet, but for me personally, it helps a lot to feel respected at work.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Fuck no. Next!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think all jobs are quick to criticise and slow to praise.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        I think all jobs are quick to criticise and slow to praise.
        It's called 'motivation.' [sarcasm mode off]

Comment

Respect??? At work??? Good one!
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

The library job is technically with the city, which I definitely don't feel respected with as a part-time employee. I say this because we aren't guaranteed the same job rights/priveliges as full-time employees, nor do we receive any benefits. And with the way the hiring system seems to be structured, it's extremely difficult to move up into something full-time, or even to get a promotion. (unfortunately, it was like this even before the economy went bad)

Comment

My coworkers respect me and my customers respect me, but management doesn't respect any of us most of the time. I'm looking for a new job at this time but.. I'm actually going to really miss doing customer service in pet retail. It feels really rewarding to help a family choose their child's first pet, or to help someone solve a problem with their aquarium that they've been struggling against for months. And I'm not going to have that anymore.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

I work in a small company. Less than 50 people, total.

We get little awards and praise pretty often. Not so much that it loses it's meaning, but not so little that it's actually a rare event.

Hell, for the first time since I've worked here (15 years, today), we got Easter bonuses. Nothing fancy ($50 gift cards), but one of those little gestures that tell us that the people running things appreciate the work that the grunts put in.

Sorry, we're not hiring right now.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Respect... hum..

Yeah, I would say I get enough respect at my current job. I have seniority over EVERYONE, which means absolutely NOTHING, except that I know everything. I don't have the final decision over anything, but my opinion is well weighed.

I just wish my paycheck reflected this!

I need to get paid for my promotion to Admin.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Yes, have a very respectful boss and a good work environment. No, have some coworkers that need to buy some clues and a muzzle. For the most part, leave me alone, do your job and beyond that I don't care.
                    Make a list of important things to do today.
                    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Let's see my boss changes company policy on a whim, and will frequently mention the "company manual" that his father wrote, that none of us have ever been allowed to read, and when we pull it out it contradicts what he was saying anyway.

I was threatened with termination if I bought baseball tickets for a co-worker, even though the game is on his day off (and mine).

We've been off on Fridays since October, but keep hearing we'll be working "this Friday" only to tell us on Thursday we won't be.

We're told to not make plans on Fridays in case they decide we have to work at the last minute.

I'm chastised for relying on e-mail, but then chastised when I confirm something over the phone and getting no e-mail back-up.

If our cable is out, website is down, someone else's website is down I am yelled at if I can't fix it.

If I can't fix something for a valid reason (i.e. it's not compatible with Windows Vista) I'm called an idiot and then have to explain to the owner's wife why I can't fix it, while she tries and fails as well.

No, I get less respect than Rodney Dangerfield.

Comment

At the moment I'm working as a temp, in the accounting department of a huuuuge lawfirm.

Before I started I thought that I would at best be "tolerated" (since they hire temps all the time whenever someone's on vacation or on a long sick leave), but I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised...

I was welcomed with open arms, my coworkers and supervisor are confident in my skills and I get the feeling that they are happy to have me here (they even implied that I might be asked to do more temp work during the summer).
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I think I do get respect at my job. Or it might be awe or how in the hell did you get that done so fast. When we had more employees (we have maybe 5 now) I didn't get respect from most of them but a few who knew how hard I worked.

I like the company a lot better now. It is more of a family.
                          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

My assistant manager can't bother to pronounce my name correctly. All the coworkers talk crap about each other. Plus there's at least once a week my AM pulls me into the office to babble at me about how there needs to be an attitude adjustment in the store, and saying how a lot of people need to leave. And when I ask if he's threatening to fire me, over what, I have no idea, he tries to back up and just says the same crap over again. Also, my AM is middle eastern of some sort, and has a very thick accent so it's hard to understand him at times.

He's also new to the store and instead of leaving the things that work alone, and fixing the things that don't work, he's messing up a lot of things on the morning shift, which in turn messes things up for all the shifts.

Apparently though the store manager and our FT supervisor are trying to muscle him out of the store and get him transferred to another store so the FT supervisor can be the AM, which is what should have happened when our old AM left.

Comment

Customers, usually the bare minimum to none.
                              CW's, most of them yes, a few no.
                              Mangers at the store level, all but 1 or 2 if you do you job, yes.
                              Corp., uh, nope. They will ignore poof that their idea may/is actually makig us loose money in cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X