This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored at Work.

Every now and again I work the Night Audit shift (like... today...). Well, I have a few problems with it.

1) I'm a day oriented person so this throws me for a loop for nearly a week after my shift.

2) I'm a very people oriented person. I get bored and lonely and start to imagine things when I don't have someone to keep me company. (Is that Pyramid Head skulking around near my car?!? No... no... it's just a cat. -_-' )

3) I'm a very VERY efficient person and get things done HOURS in advance. (I have no idea how I do it, I just do)

When I'm bored I do... things... work related things, which drives my companion (DataJager) up the wall.

Like rewrite and print the employee manual.
    ... the Maintenance Request forms.
    ... the Employee Discount Card request form.
    ... the Incident Report forms.
    ... the Cheque Drop form.
    ... the Cash Drop form.
    ... the Map of <town>.
    ... the Job Application sheet. (which went over huge, my boss loved it)
    ... the Work Related Injuries and Illness form. (The OSHA one we have SUCKS)
    ... instructions on prepaid credit card procedures.

You get the idea. Every now and again I'll hit up YouTube or Hulu for a show or two but I prefer not bothering with it since I rarely remember to bring in my headphones.

What do you guys do? I've nearly rewritten every form I can find (except the credit card authorization form and a few others I rarely, if ever, see. I'm saving those for tomorrow since I get off work in 2 hours).
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

I've got various briefings I can read that I don't normally have time to read. Other than that I go and find some trouble to get myself into!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I get very few opportunities to get bored but when I do I'm on here reading
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If I were in a position to be bored at work with a computer, I'd seek out a new webcomic and start reading through the archives.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If there aren't any checkout duties for me to do at the moment (either I'm bound to a register due to my other coworkers going on break or doing jobs, or there simply aren't duties), I start making rubber band balls.

If you can, buy a bag of assorted size rubber bands. Then just crumple up a small bit of paper and start winding rubber bands around it. They bounce as well
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I do A LOT of cleaning when I do graves. Ad I mean every single register, all 14 of them. Top to bottom. Inside and out. I also restock reciept paper and plastic/paper bags on all the registers. Rarely do I get done early enough to be bored. And if I do I'll reorganize the front end closet or something. Organize and stock cigarettes. I always find something to do. However I do always mange to finish everything possible on Sunday mornings (don't know why exactly but it's always Sundays I finish everything with 2 hours to spare). That's why I bring a book, just in case.

Comment

when I worked alone on Sundays I would swap out my keyboard for a different keyboard, disassemble and thoroughly clean it. Then I would swap it back and clean the other keyboard.

Or between calls I would crank my music and dance around. [pre-handicap =) ]

I got caught by the owner of my company dancing at the fax machine to some motown
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

3rd shift is my regular shift and my job is very easy and boring. All I have to do is a complete tour of 3 buildings (2 are small), unlock some doors, then do an extra walk through of certain areas. I can get all my work including paperwork knocked out in about 2 hours, the rest of the time, I'm just killing time. It's boring but it pays well, and it's very laid back and low key so I stay.

I bring my laptop into work all the time and use the wireless internet or play a game. It's a shame they have Java disabled or blocked though, but Facebook games are not blocked. I also have a very good relationship with my local Library and Barnes and Noble. And if all else fails there are plenty of deserted rooms and waiting rooms around the hospital, and I know where the warm blankets and blanket warmer is.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  If I were in a position to be bored at work with a computer, I'd seek out a new webcomic and start reading through the archives.
                  ^This, or a book.

If you want to actually be productive, cleaning is the way to go.
                  Last edited by Darkforge; 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: numpty typos
                  "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                  Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Oh, and then there's all the gaming sites all over... Pogo, Kongregate, Shockwave, etc...

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I was a temp, I'd finish my few duties quickly, and would just sit there waiting for the phone to ring. I couldn't use the internet and I got in trouble for reading. So....I started reading the phone book. When I was bored with that, I'd open Word and look at clip art.

Comment

When I was working at a place with too little work, good computers, and the Internet wasn't much to speak of, yet, I used to write in my copious spare time.

Of course, the boss was cool, so I also got to play games on my Atari Lynx, just as long as nobody ever saw me doing it, which was easy since nobody ever came in to the office as far as customers, and the bosses (3-man real estate firm) were almost always out.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                        X