This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warping space, if not time ...

Our store has a hard-and-fast rule that the loaders may not go out into the parking lot to help customers load items ... the customers must bring their vehicles up to the loading doors. I'm assuming it's a safety issue.

So 99.99999% of our customers have no issue with that.

Then there was this guy ... as told to me by a loader.

Loader asks if customer would like help loading whatever. Customer says yes. Loader says "Fine, sir, if you'd just bring your vehicle up to the loading doors here." Customer assures the loader the car is already right outside the doors (this is often done in the area of the lumber loading doors).

Loader wheels the stuff outside and says "Ok, sir, which one's your car?"

And the customer points to a vehicle that is little more than a faint speck on the far horizon.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. But you get the idea.

Loader repeats that he CANNOT go out into the parking lot; customer MUST bring his vehicle to the doors.

Customer flips out and starts yelling that loader WILL. DO. YOUR. JOB. NOW.

Loader: "Nossir, I cannot go out there. Company rules."

Lather, rinse, repeat several times. The customer at one point opts to vary the scene a bit by yelling at the cashier ... who has even fewer options than the loader (i.e. none at all).

At one point the loader, in response to a particularly snotty question from the customer, said something to the effect of "Well, if you don't feel competent to drive your vehicle up to the doors ..." thus sparking a shrieking fit from a second, and totally unrelated, customer ("HOW DARE YOU CALL A CUSTOMER STUPID!!" Well ... if the shoe fits ....)

So now he's got two people yelling at him in tandem.

I don't remember how it turned out. I do remember wondering why neither the loader nor the cashier thought to call for management to come down and sort these idiots out. Didn't get a chance to ask him, alas; he'd just finished telling me this story when he got called off to some distant part of the store.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    I do remember wondering why neither the loader nor the cashier thought to call for management to come down and sort these idiots out.
    Let's be honest, would the managers actually have sided with the workers, policy or no?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      Let's be honest, would the managers actually have sided with the workers, policy or no?
      Hard to say, to be honest. The one time I called managers back to The Dead Zone, TWO of them came running ... probably due to the words I used and the tone of my voice. (They believe I might be in danger from the customers; truth was, it was nearing the point of the other way around ...) They did side with me but the one woman is known to very, very rarely back down to cranky/whiny customers ... and also, they had no choice because the situation was literally out of all of our hands. It involved an expired account and an accusation of racism, and not all the whining in the world was going to somehow magically change the fact that the account had expired.

In this case? Who knows? For some reason I'm inclined to think management would have refused to bend this particular rule but given the general chaos and contradictory information at this place, I could be wrong.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        I do remember wondering why neither the loader nor the cashier thought to call for management to come down and sort these idiots out.
        "Go out and load up the customer's vehicle, and then stop by my office. We need to discuss your commitment to customer service."
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          "Go out and load up the customer's vehicle, and then stop by my office. We need to discuss your commitment to customer service."
          Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

"It is my understanding that company policy is X. Do I need to get clarification from BigBossName?"
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
            X