This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has to be done across the board

Usually every morning our direct supervisor has a meeting with his staff of 5 employees.

We all work as porters for a parking company. Our employer manages an area of parking garages that is owned by a property management company.

According to our direct supervisor, our employer recently made a policy stating that if he has to tell any of his employees something work wise, he has tell that in front of all of his employees. He repeated several times that this has to be done across the board. Earlier this week during our morning meeting he let one of his employees know that according to our employer, the property management company, and him, that he is doing a very poor job at the parking garage he is assigned to clean. This particular has 14 levels. He is assigned to clean 7 levels as well as some of the stairwells. Our direct supervisor went on and on explaining exactly what was wrong with his work performance in front of us.

That employee did not come to work today.

Ugh. I'm really curious about what could have spawned such an ...odd...policy. Sounds like perhaps someone the Employer supervises (or the ER himself) got into some potential hot water for saying something that could be considered inappropriate -- with witnesses, the chances of accusations to that effect are less likely to stick.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I agree with EricKei. We used to have a policy regarding `discretion ' with discipline, which meant that you were supposed to take someone private if there were performance problems you needed to discuss. Because of a misunderstanding over if someone was told something inappropriate now we require all discipline discussions to be witnessed - but only by one person. Usually the office manager, the owner or me (I do some of the HR), depending on the issue, who`s involved and who's available. We would never do it in front of everyone.

Or if it`s a learning opportunity for everyone we might discuss the incident at a group meeting, but without naming the person/people involved, and without naming the site or customer involved. Calling out individuals in front of the group is both embarrassing for them and in extremely poor taste.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Gee, I can't imagine why someone would decide not to show up after being publicly humiliated like this.

If this is what your "management" thinks is a good idea, I'd really recommend getting out ASAP.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Uhhhh. You know I remember a while ago a guy was accused of stealing and brought through the store in a "walk of shame" and later the guy killed himself. The family was suing. I have no idea what happened, or even if it was true. But my point is, public shaming is NOT COOL.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Don't agree with public shaming at all, but I do agree with having one witness to discipline discussions for obvious reasons. Public shaming is just a way for the shamer to get a few extra jollies out of the whole thing.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Cat shaming: yes. Pokemon shaming: also yes. Public (human) shaming: no.
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

After all, cats don't care, so attempts at shaming them are purely for the benefit of the human doing so.

Doing that to another human being? SO not good.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Our direct supervisor has not been to work since last Friday

Our direct supervisor did not come to work on Monday or today.

According to one of my co-workers he yelled at one of his employees because he did not see some trash that was found in the area of the parking garage that he is assigned to clean. He asked that employee if he really wanted to be at work. This was last Friday.

Comment

Working...
                  X