This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change is Coming (Oh, noes!)

In my office, you can say that like they say "Winter is coming" in the Game of Thrones books and TV show, and it seems to illicit the same sense of dread.

A few months ago, we actually had a big meeting in which management told us that there were changes on the horizon. No, no one was going to be laid off. In fact, everyone's individual job was most likely going to stay the same. But Change is coming! What's the change? We don't know. Change.

Then, knowing that some people don't handle change well, management decided to help us prepare for it. I thought this was a great idea. Tell us well in advance what the changes will be, and we'll be ready for them. Even if some of the planned changes change from the planned changes before they change, we'll be ready.

It didn't happen that way. We all had to take a training on dealing with change. There was an online course and a large group meeting. From that enlightening instruction, we learned that some people don't handle change well but that things change all the time and we need to find a way to handle that because Change is coming. In other words, we learned nothing new.

And, apparently, Change is still coming, because I haven't seen any changes other than the normal day-to-day stuff. I'm still employed; people still whine that it's Monday or act cheerful that it's Friday or make some hopeful comment about Wednesday.

I've been dealing with change my whole life. I don't need a class to prepare me for it, especially when it's the nebulous Change as a concept rather than reality. Just tell us what's coming, and most of us will be fine.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Even if some of the planned changes change from the planned changes before they change, we'll be ready.
    This is just about one of the BEST lines I've ever read, anywhere.

And yes, why the hell can't they just TELL YOU up front what the changes are going to be? Uncertainty is worse than only hearing 'change'.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You know nothing.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
        We all had to take a training on dealing with change.
        Omg, this is classic. For some reason (could be that I've had some mead) this made me laugh really hard.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

At least ya'll managed to miss out on the "who moved my cheese" crap. I had to sit through a seminar of that horse manure once. The real reason behind it was the company could no longer afford to give us free health care and that raises would be much smaller going forward. But it was still pitched as "yay! Change is good!". Bah. That old company is starting to flame out now. The son's have taken the place of the sibling father owners and the sickle of change runs bloody with their decision to "rightsize" their present situation (which cost my Mother-in-law her job).
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
            You know nothing.
            ...Jon Snow!

(I'm sorry.)
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I remember all employees being forced to take a stress management class when <hospital system> merged with <larger hospital system>. It was a load of crap and more of a shill for their Fancy Shmancy Online Stress Reduction Service(TM) which pretty much told me what I already knew. Change is stressful. To combat stress, eat right, exercise, get enough sleep, and find a stress relief strategy that works for you. Get counseling (which you can do for free with our service!) if necessary. That was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back but at least I got paid for my suffering.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                At least ya'll managed to miss out on the "who moved my cheese" crap. I had to sit through a seminar of that horse manure once. .
                AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Why did you have to bring back memories of that for me??????????

The VP of IT MADE (required) my small IT dept. at the trade show exhibit company read the book (near Y2K when totally new systems were being rolled out)and then we sat down at a meeting to discuss.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Why did you have to bring back memories of that for me??????????

The VP of IT MADE (required) my small IT dept. at the trade show exhibit company read the book (near Y2K when totally new systems were being rolled out)and then we sat down at a meeting to discuss.
                  Could be worse. Did they make you watch the video?
                  "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post

Video, slides, dinner, presentation with speaker AND the book.
                    The weight on me

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                      THANKFULLY NO we did not have to do the video portion. The sit down discussion part was bad enough as there were only 6 of us in the Corp HQ IT dept.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Video, slides, dinner, presentation with speaker AND the book.
                        You have my deepest sympathies.
                        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

And to add insult to injury they had it in Franklin Lakes NJ and forced the PA staff to drive there (though we had more staff than the NJ office).
                          The weight on me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            This is just about one of the BEST lines I've ever read, anywhere.

That's about what it felt like during the whole "Change is Coming" season. Change blah blah change blah change change changity changing change blah blah blah change blah change-asaurus rex.

At least ya'll managed to miss out on the "who moved my cheese" crap.
                            I wish. They did bring it up in one of our "Change is Coming" meetings. There was a slide show with a summary of it and a very brief video clip, so it wasn't too bad. I have to admit that I thought the analogy was clever as a simple analogy, but my eyes about rolled out of my head when I learned that there were whole books and seminars on it.
                            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                            - IPF

Comment

Working...
                            X