This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cell phone + the wash

eek. I had long weekend, and I was half asleep. I stupidly left my cell phone in my pants pocket and proceeded to do laundry. For the record, I have never had cell insurance and never needed it. Not to mention I doubt Verizon has water damage coverage cuz most places don't.

I remembered about 5 minutes into the cycle & ran to the washer. The phone was...yes very wet.

I took the battery out & all of that. Blew out the water with a compressed air can and shook it & put a paper towel around it. I also put it in rice to suck out the water, cuz I hear that works... It's an LG 4500.

As of last night, the white dot near where the battery connects inside that indicates if there was water damage is still brightly white.

My boyfriend did try putting it together for me tonight, but the screen was just completely white (but lit up) & clearly still had moisture in it.

What are the odds it will recover? I realize the batter might be SOL, perhaps in the long-term. But I thought I would ask the wizards of tech, specifically phone tech.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

The indicator dot will almost certainly stay white even if you manage to dry it out completely. It's there to tell the shop about the immersion, if you tried to claim it "just broke".

Personally, I recommend investing in a belt pouch - then it isn't in a pocket to be forgotten.

Comment

It may be too late since you turned it on already, but you should leave electronics off for several days in a dry, non-humid place if possible so the water has time to evaporate. With luck, after several days up to a week, the electronics will work. Another worry would be contaminates in the water that will be left behind (salt water is bad). In your case, soap might be an issue.

Give it more time to dry out, but it might be shorted out.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        The indicator dot will almost certainly stay white even if you manage to dry it out completely. It's there to tell the shop about the immersion, if you tried to claim it "just broke".

Personally, I recommend investing in a belt pouch - then it isn't in a pocket to be forgotten.
        I actually have a pouch thing, but because I have been working alone at night I have been keeping my cell in my pocket just in case...well in case something happens when I am walking the hallways alone. Also I can't really wear my pouch on my "belt" cuz it's a lame required chick's belt for our uniform and it isn't really a belt more like a wrap around thing.

Quoth Geek King View Post
        It may be too late since you turned it on already, but you should leave electronics off for several days in a dry, non-humid place if possible so the water has time to evaporate. With luck, after several days up to a week, the electronics will work. Another worry would be contaminates in the water that will be left behind (salt water is bad). In your case, soap might be an issue.

Give it more time to dry out, but it might be shorted out.
        Yeah I think I gotta bust out the cha-ching and get another one. It might have been turned on too early, cuz the screen is still completely white and it won't dial out. boo! Oh well I guess poop happens right?

Thanks for the suggestions.
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

My sister drowned her phone in orange juice a few years ago. She left it in the airing cupboard for about 5 days, and when she tried it again, it worked. It did cut out for no reason though every time she used it afterwards, so even if you can get it to work, it may not be worth saving.
          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

I accidently dropped my phone in the toilet once. Managed to fish it out quicker then hell (only a matter of 2-5 seconds tops). It never even turned off actually. I shut it off and pulled the battery and the sim card and let it dry out for a couple of hours. It worked fine but the screen was always a little darker after that. Damn shitty phone (pun intended)
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

The cell is alive! 5 days after the fact, being stuck in uncooked rice the entire time, it is alive again. I, of course, bought a new one already but the point is that it isn't dead. I am unsure of the condition of the battery yet but hey! The screen seems great & everything is still on it. So, if you drop a cell in water or have it in the wash, give it 5 days without the battery & without turning it on once while it soaks in rice & TA DA!

Comment

Good for you. :-) Perhaps you can keep it in the car (on charge!) as an emergency phone?

Comment

I was going to suggest the tub of uncooked rice for a few days.

I know of at least 3 people who have had their cell phones accidentally dropped into water, and they all tried the uncooked rice thing and they all swear by it.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                  X