X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What`s up with my keyboard

This could be a quick fix.

My keyboard was fine first thing this morning, but my puppy just put his paws on top of the keyboard (he`s fascinated by my doggy screensaver and was trying to get closer to sniff).

Now my question marks look like: é
    And my quotation marks look like: ``

The languages have been switched, I think. This is a new keyboard, I`ve only had it a day or two. I can`t find any button or light indicating what I should do to fix this. Re-booting surprisingly didn`t fix the issue.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

XP?

Control Panel \ Date, time Language and Regional Options \ Change Format \ Languages. Languages Tab. Click the Details Button. Pick your language keyboard preference. Sorry, I know there is a keyboard shortcut to the language bar, but apparently your pup is smarter than me

Comment

If you're on a Mac, the Command-Space shortcut is often wired to "change keyboard layout". It might have been switched to "US Extended", for example.

This is controlled from the "International" section of the System Preferences.

Comment

Just wanted to post again and say thank you! I'm using Vista instead of XP, but the steps sms001 gave were close enough.

I'm dying to know what that keyboard shortcut is, though. My dog has done this TWICE if you can believe it. It must be only one or two keys. I mean, what are the odds?

Perhaps my puppy should just get used to sitting in his dog bed instead of my lap.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Might be 'Control' + 'Space.' Or 'Left Alt' + 'Shift.'

In any case you can change it:

“Regional and Language Options”
          “Keyboards and Languages” tab.
          “Change Keyboards” button.
          “Text Services and Input Languages”
          “Advanced Key Settings” tab.

Comment

Just checked on mine (Vista), it is Left Alt + Shift, if you go back to the Regional & Language options, change keyboards tab > Advanced key Settings you can change the shortcut to something that spans the keyboard.

Another thing worth doing is checking the General tab and removing any language that you're not going to use. Often this'll leave you with only one option
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
            X