Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I have learned from changing into an office...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I have learned from changing into an office...

So I started my temp job today-I'm there for the next 4 weeks minimum, the max will be 8. Sadly most of that was lost due to the fact that IT had not set me up for the system (despite the fact that they KNEW I was coming in as of Friday -.-) and it took time for us to get set with their database system. In the meantime, here is what I DID learn.

1. There is a such thing as "bar mouse." (it's a wrist rest with a mouse built into it. The "scroll" is a bar that if you push it far enough to the left or right, it'll "click" too!)

2. I managed to break the photocopier (by putting in a scanned document with a sticky-this caused a paper jam) AND the database system (one of the other temps had a system setup and let me and the other temp practice on it...after the fourth time, it crashed on us )

3. My temp work is basically processing enrolments, results etc. for a correspondence college. I wound up learning that you can actually take the following courses through said college:

-Animal Welfare and Effective Stunning.
    -Sterilisation (I initially thought of sterilisation as in "contraception" and it took me a while to realise they meant sterilisation as in "sterilising metal surgical implements.")
    -Enhancing the Customer Service Experience. (I wound up thinking of the "wrong" type of enhancement )
    -Powers of Attorney (this one confused me as I was under the impression that if you appointed someone as a PoA, it was typically a relative )
    -Justice of the Peace (the actual course itself is not confusing, it's the fact that said course consists of a bunch of reading and 1 5-question quiz...and costs around $450)
    -Designing and Writing Documents for the Office Environment. (This one has some context, it's more about creating "default" forms and stuff and is kind of like a combined Advanced Word/Excel/Access program...doesn't justify the $1000 cost though >.>)
    -Beekeeping (take note this is a correspondence course)

And before anyone asks, this is not a diploma mill, it's actually a quite popular option for study for people who can't access the brick-and-mortar training locations.

4. For reasons that didn't initially occur to me, we need to have a working with "vulnerable people" check (this can include children, the elderly or people with a disability or some combo of these, mine covers children) despite the fact that none of our work involves us directly interacting with children. One of my fellow temps bitched to me at length about why we had to go to so much trouble to do it. It eventually occurred to me that because said correspondence school has links with multiple schools (they have programs that allow students to do certain courses as part of their high school diploma) and there are students who are under 18 that we could potentially contact through their student details...we may not have face to face contact with the students, but grooming students can still occur in other means.
    Last edited by fireheart; 03-23-2015, 10:14 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    -Effective Stunning.
    I'm sorry, I can't help but read this and imagine Stone Cold Steve Austin as the teacher

"Class, my name is Stone Cold Steve Austin and I'll be your instructor in Effective Stunning 316."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      I'm sorry, I can't help but read this and imagine Stone Cold Steve Austin as the teacher

"Class, my name is Stone Cold Steve Austin and I'll be your instructor in Effective Stunning 316."
      I bought this up with my partner (who used to work in an abattoir) and he said that for a number of the abattoirs, they could only have certain people working the killing floor in order to keep certain accreditations. So chances are that the people taking said course are doing it in order to be granted said accreditation.

Comment

-Sterilisation (I initially thought of sterilisation as in "contraception" and it took me a while to realise they meant sterilisation as in "sterilising metal surgical implements.")
        Oh well, if you can't spay/neuter the SCs, running them through the autoclave should be good enough.

we may not have face to face contact with the students, but grooming students can still occur in other means.
        Do hairdressers and manicurists get in trouble for grooming students?

What does a fictional astronaut with overpowered prosthetics have to do with this?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Do hairdressers and manicurists get in trouble for grooming students?
          Weirdly enough, the branch I'm working for does not do beauty or hairdressing courses, despite those being among the more popular courses for the face to face group.

we do offer childcare and a bunch of health courses.

Thankfully my supervisor has kept me off the phones and I'm mostly just entering in data. She's a bit surprised that I've basicallt whizzed through said data with minimal errors.

Comment

I read this title as 'Things I have learnt from changing IN an office'
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I managed to break the photocopier ...
              That cleavage is deadly.
              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                That cleavage is deadly.
                funnily enough the dress I was wearin that day was on the modest side!

No, what had happened was that I stuck a document containing a post-it note on the feeder to be scanned. The scanner didn't like the post-it note and started eating the document as a result.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  What does a fictional astronaut with overpowered prosthetics have to do with this?

...WHAT?!?!
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

funnily enough the dress I was wearin that day was on the modest side!

No, what had happened was that I stuck a document containing a post-it note on the feeder to be scanned. The scanner didn't like the post-it note and started eating the document as a result.
                    I know. I'm just messing with you.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    That joke has left me stone cold.
                    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      The prosthetics stop being overpowered whenever they are stone cold.

Comment

Things I learned from today:

-I am getting stupidly fast with filing and handling reports. It's to the point where my colleagues think I'm nuts. Especially because I can not only do my own work, but I then take on some of theirs too!
                        -My team leader also thinks I'm nuts because of a task I had to do this afternoon (some of the above-mentioned filing):

Team Leader: OK, make sure these [student enrolment forms] go in strict alphabetical order. (By this she means for instance "A, B, C" then in the "A's" "Aa, Aam, Ab, Abj, Ac etc.)
                        Me: *immediately starts filing them in alphabetical order*
                        Team Leader: I did say strict alphabetical order...
                        Me: I'm going to go back and sort through them once I've filed them.
                        Team Leader: Oh, that's OK. *walks off*

I managed to get 2 bundles of filing done in the time it took my colleagues to each do 1.

Comment

Technically, that's called a radix sort. You reduce the problem by sorting them on the first letter, then it's much easier to deal with the small batches that result.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                            Technically, that's called a radix sort. You reduce the problem by sorting them on the first letter, then it's much easier to deal with the small batches that result.
                            Heh, I should mention this to my boss later. It's a little less tedious than manually sorting through each one and doing each one one at a time.

Comment

Hopefully they've got plenty of chairs and tables for that class!
                              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                              X