This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball Printing Issue

I've been futzing about with this one off-and-on for a couple of days, as it isn't a work stoppage issue, just strange.

User is using XP with reasonable, non-gaming rig, resources, and has a local printer in addition to network printers. Local printer is a HP Laserjet 3005

When printing multi-page Excel spreadsheets, the local printer will print the first page in portrait orientation, the second in landscape orientation, and alternate the other pages portrait/landscape/portrait/ect.

This only happens on the local printer, and only in Excel.

Network printers print Excel just fine.

Other programs print just fine on the local printer.

I have tested multiple Excel documents, including printing locally then to the network while it is still opened. Same results.

I have checked the settings on the Page setup, printer setup, and on the printer itself. Nothing I can find that would do such a thing. Settings on the printer are the same as someone else with the same printer model who is not having the issue.

So, anyone ever seen something like this? Better, anyone suggest a fix?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Regrettably, I do not have a solution.

On the plus side, I am quite able to admire the problem. That's impressive.

Comment

About the only thing I can think of is to check the printer properties when you select the local printer. It might be getting mixed signals when you print.

Apart from that, I'm not sure.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

While I have never had a similar issue when you say the settings are the same I assume you mean right down to the driver version as well.

I've had weird issues with printing resolved by changing driver versions but nothing exactly like this one.

Comment

That's impressive. Maybe see if their is a new driver available.

Comment

The only time I've seen something like this it was a practical prank, and it was performed at print server level in a cups server.... :/ You say local printer, is it a LAN printer, USB or Parallel?
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
              The only time I've seen something like this it was a practical prank, and it was performed at print server level in a cups server.... :/ You say local printer, is it a LAN printer, USB or Parallel?
              Parallel. A direct connection from the printer to the computer.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quick thought, have you checked the PCL/PS drivers and tried switching between PCL/PS/Native Driver to see if one works correctly.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  So, anyone ever seen something like this? Better, anyone suggest a fix?
                  Is it a PCL5C, PCL6, or PS driver?
                  Is the Excel spreadsheet all contained on a single page or is it spread across different tabs?
                  Is there a difference between the Excel page setup and the printer driver properties page setup? Or are they both set the same (Portrait/Portrait, etc)?
                  What are the margins set to?
                  Regards,
                  The Exiled, V.2.0

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind."
                  - H. P. Lovecraft

Comment

Quoth ExiledV20 View Post
                    Is it a PCL5C, PCL6, or PS driver?
                    Is the Excel spreadsheet all contained on a single page or is it spread across different tabs?
                    Is there a difference between the Excel page setup and the printer driver properties page setup? Or are they both set the same (Portrait/Portrait, etc)?
                    What are the margins set to?
                    This is really Bossman's pet project, I'm just 'consulting' because I have pretty good hardware and troubleshooting skills and he's getting flustrated. Plus its a neat issue.

PCL6, which I think it has to be to work with the program this place uses, but I could be wrong on that. Have to check.

One tab, multiple pages long. Boss tested this with several Excel files and I've seen it occur when I tested a possible fix.

Did not notice a difference on the setups, but I'll look.

Ditto the margins.
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X