This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista

Okay, I'm still having trouble using OpenOffice with those new Word file extensions (.docx, .docm). When I bought this computer, going on two years ago now, I bought Vista to go with it.

I never installed Vista, having heard that there are a lot of problems with it - plus, my computer had XP in English, something the support guy from the company didn't know when I called about it.

I emailed the company recently to ask if there's any way I can return the Vista software. It's never been opened; I put it in my desk, and there it has remained. No answer yet from the company, and, well, it's been some time, so if I've gone well past the point of no returns, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

My question is, would it be worth my while to install Vista? Does it work with .docx and .docm? Or should I just give up the whole idea?

Quoth Eireann View Post
    My question is, would it be worth my while to install Vista? Does it work with .docx and .docm? Or should I just give up the whole idea?
    Well as Vista is an operating system, and .docx and such are office files - they're not related. However as you've waited this long, I'd probably just keep vista on disk, wait for Windows 7 to come out and potentially use the vista for a cheaper upgrade. Depending on how MS wants to do things, they may offer an upgrade to vista people cheaper than XP people.

Comment

Vista will have no bearing on your ability to read file types. That's basically like asking if driving on some new roads will let your car's stereo play mp3s.

However, the notepad bundled in to Windows 7 will be able to read .docx files, and Microsoft Office 2007 reads .docx files. Either of those will be of use to you.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

That's the thing - I don't have Microsoft Office on this computer. I downloaded some kind of pack off the Microsoft site, but OpenOffice still can't read the new document extensions. Novell had a download for a while, but they've stopped offering it.

Comment

No chance you remember what the download that Novell was offering was called?

Edited to Add:
          Supposedly if you download a newer version of OpenOffice, it will have the "OpenOffice OpenXML Translator" (the file you need from Novell) already integrated.
          Last edited by Evil Queen; 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM. Reason: edited to add.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

No, I don't remember what the Novell download was. I have OpenOffice 3 right now; as far as I know, that's the newest version.

Comment

If you cannot open the files (.docx, .xlsx) you can also do a Save As, and rename the file extention to something that DOES/ HAS worked.

I've had to have users do this often with Office 2007 files being read by Office 2003...even though there's a translation packet for it!!

Rename the file to .doc or .xls as appropriate, and just open it up with the new one. Should work.

Cutenoob

And - these are application / data files. Nothing to do AT ALL with an operating system.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Hmm...A quick Google reveals most sites suggesting the OpenXML tool for OpenOffice.org users. Maybe you need to go back to the OpenOffice.org site and download the tool seperately?
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Done it already. The .docm extension is a REAL bitch to work with. I've tried saving .docx as a different format, and it still doesn't work.

Comment

Still no luck with getting OpenOffice to read anything. Now, I'm hearing that I'm stuck with Vista. A friend of mine is telling me that since the Vista was sold with a computer, it can't be returned. Is this true?

Comment

If it's an OEM disc, a recent purchase, and you can prove you've got an alternate OS, then maybe. You'd have to actually check the policies of the place you got it from. If it's a retail disc, it'd have to be unopened.

Comment

I reread your OP. The software is 2 years old. Way past return date. Sell it in Ebay or use it to get a cheap upgrade to Win7.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It's unopened. I was thinking of getting a Win7 upgrade; I don't know the policies of the place where I bought it. A friend is going to call them for me.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                            It's unopened.
                            Oh, missed that it was TWO years. There's practically no chance a place will accept it back after that long. Heck, the manufacturer's warranty would be gone on the computer after that amount of time. Yeah, just wait until Windows 7 comes out, install Vista on your computer, then use the "Microsoft Marketplace" or whatever it is to purchase a download to upgrade to Windows 7. It'll be cheaper than buying the OS separately.

Comment

Oh, hell. The software itself is still under warranty (24 months), but I never thought about the computer warranty. I'd have to dig through my papers to find it. About how much should I expect to pay for the download?

Comment

Working...
                              X