Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Am An Evil, Evil Lying Woman (Plus bonus from Black Friday)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am An Evil, Evil Lying Woman (Plus bonus from Black Friday)

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I'm not dead. I've just been busy and dealing with sucky life issues. I picked up a third job, started new classes, and went through some major family drama and life changes.

My newest job is at a store that I'll call Wall-Fart. At Wall-Fart, I'm part of the pricing team. I put up, take down, and make sale signs. I also do price changes and deal with clearance stuff. It's a nice, easy job with minimal customer contact so I only get the occasional SC. I have been saving some up but I haven't had time to actually type them down. I got a day off thanks to the -28F weather so I figured what the hell I'll make some posts today. I divided them up to avoid making a super mega essay thread.

I Am An Evil, Evil Lying Woman

A pleasant middle aged man comes in while I am hanging signs at one of the displays near the door.

SC: Excuse me, miss? Can you tell me where I could find the salt?
    Me: The rock salt…?
    SC: Yeah, yeah, the rock salt.
    Me: Well it gets moved around a lot, but there should be some over there in section X, there’s usually some over that way in section Y, and there’s usually some over with Z.
    SC: Is there any rock salt that’s closer?
    Me: Hmm…..OH! You know what? There’s actually some over on the other side of this display on the bottom shelf.

I leaned over the display and pointed to where it was. He walked around, barely glancing at the rock salt before saying he will check the other places, thanked me, and turned to walk away. I figured that was that and went back to work, but then I saw him walking back towards me. I thought he might have another question about a different item. He approached me but was no longer happy and smiling; he was stone faced and irritated. He had only taken 10 steps max before coming back.

SC: Get me a manager.
    Me: ……..*stunned silence*
    SC: I want someone to tell me where the rock salt REEEEEAALLYY is.
    Me: ….Buh-but….I just…told you where it is.

At this point, a coworker of mine came to talk to me and saw the stunned/confused expression on my face.

SC: *to CW, all happy like again* Excuse me, could you tell me where the rock salt is?
    CW: I can’t tell you EXACTLY where it is because it gets moved around all the time, but you should be able to find some in sections X, Y, or Z.
    SC: Hahaha that must be rough on you huh! Well thanks for your help! *to me dripping with sarcasm* Thanks for being SOOOOO nice and SOOOOOO helpful.

What. The. Actual. Fuck. CW told him almost exactly what I did and he accepted it with a smile on his face, but when I told him the exact same thing, he seemed convinced I was lying to him for some reason. *shrugs* That guy has issues.

Blocks of Black Headache: Tales from Black Friday

Speed bump #1 occurred when, half an hour into hanging signs, me and my coworkers were notified that the signs can’t go up until 4:30am since the sales start at 6am (we started hanging signs at 2am). Yaaayyyy, so we got to go back and take down all the signs we put up and remake the ones that we couldn’t salvage which set us back a bit.
    I had several customers come up to me with a cart full of stuff while I was waiting to hang signs complaining that there weren’t any signs that said what was on sale and what wasn’t and it’s soooo stupid and sooooo confusing raggle fraggle broggle. I told them that the sales don’t start until 6am so the signs can’t go up until 4:30am. Cue melodramatic cries of “But nobody toooollldd meeeeee it’s not faaaiiirrr what will I doooooo I can’t stay here foreeeveerrrr what about my stuuuufffff sob sob whine cry bitch bitch moan!” I would point out that the sale paper, website, and DOORS state that the sales start at 6am. “But I didn’t nooootiiicceee it’s so smallll it should start at miiiiddniiiggghhtt it’s not faaaiiirrrr!” Eventually they would stop yelling/whining at me when they realized that their plight has not moved me and that my super magical employee powers are not going to make the sales start any sooner.

Speed bump #2 occurred when I was putting up my signs. There was a set of plastic children’s blocks on sale that I could not find for the life of me although my handheld said that we had something like 60 boxed of the stuff. I called my manager to help and he couldn’t find them. He thought he found them, but that wasn’t it. My manager just told me to hang onto the sale tags and keep my eyes open.
    I had several customers ask me where the blocks were and got yelled at when I told them I didn’t know. Most of them calmed down a bit after I explained to them that I had been looking for the blocks for several hours and that many of my coworkers were looking as well. Not this woman.
    So I was walking through the isles scanning stuff to make sure everything that needed a sign had a sign because Black Friday when I heard a woman call me. I turned to see a woman holding the blocks that my manager thought may have been the sale blocks but were just regular blocks. I knew where things were headed and braced for impact. Sure enough, she asked if those were the sale blocks. I told her no and gave her the rundown of the Saga of the Missing Blocks hoping that would defuse the situation before things got heated.

SC: Are you fucking kidding me?
    Me: *plan failed* No, I’m sorry. Like I said, me and several others have been looking for the blocks for almost 5 hours now with no luck. The moment they turn up, they will be brought out to the sales floor.
    SC: Well, get someone on the phone and make them find the blocks because *insert long winded sob story about how she drove all those long miles to come to my store so early in the morning (9am) specifically to buy those blocks for her special little grandkid*.

So I called my boss who gave me the number for someone who worked in the back room. I called that person who looked and looked and said no dice and that the blocks were likely in unmarked boxes due to some sort of packaging error. I returned to the woman and told her what happened.

SC: Well, get her back on the phone and make her look HARDER. This is fucking stupid. Nobody knows how to do shit around here…

So I went and called her back. Luckily, she had an idea and came out to meet the woman. The idea fell flat and SC ranted at my coworker for a while until she got bored and left. Later, another woman asked about the blocks and I was close to tears. I explained what happened and apologized multiple times.
    Non-SC: Oh it’s no big deal! I can always buy them some other time!

I could have kissed this woman. After getting so much flak from so many people over those blocks, having her respond so casually was like a glass of cool water in the desert and I told her this.

Speed bump #3 was when I was hanging signs for the video games. I had to park my flat top cart of sales tags in the PS3 line and stick the signs on the glass because I wasn’t allowed to open the glass displays because of the crowd. I had my sale tags sorted and organized in neat little stacks in perfect little rows and columns beautifully coordinated based on the location of the product to make hanging the signs as quick and painless as possible. I had my back turned and was playing Seek and Tag with the video games with two female customers in line who were so kind as to help me look to pass the time. When I finished, I turned to see a group of people at my flat top cart pawing through my signs, passing them around, thumbing through the stacks, etc. My heart stopped, my jaw dropped, and those customers nearly got popped. Through gritted teeth, I asked that my signs be returned. I got them all and the customers explained that they wanted to see what was on sale (isn’t that what a sale paper is for?!).

More to come!
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

Stuff like this makes me glad the fabric store isn't open 24/7. I imagine my SCs would do the same thing as yours if it were.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Glad to see you back, Kisa. Sorry to hear about your sucky life issues.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

They rifled through your signs?? Whyyyyy do sucktomers think signs and fixtures are there for them to manhandle? If they don't work there, they should keep their mitts off!
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I set the sale signs where I work and they come in order according to planogram. If someone started rifling through my boxes I'd probably get fired for going apeshit on them. As it is, I'm the only person that does pricing on the grocery side, and a typical Sunday midnight shift has a minimum of four boxes with probably five hundred signs per box. Yeah, I'd be pissed.

Comment

Too bad they couldn't go play with the bricks they were shitting over the missing blocks.

Comment

So SC's don't read signs... unless the signs aren't actually up, then they want to read them. /boggle

Comment

I've just realised. You're the parent company's me.

It's boring work right?

Comment

I can't answer for Kisa of course, but I used to be in charge of pricing and signs. It can actually be a pretty fun job. Not dealing with customers all the time is nice. After doing the job for a bit, you really get to know the store too which makes picking up a couple things after work a lot quicker.

Now, true, it wasn't always the most exciting thing in the world, but I used to challenge myself by seeing how fast I could get a section done.
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Ad set in my store is generally a PITA.

The company doesn't get the concept of "sign pollution," so it's not unusual to have an aisle where every single item has its own individual sign and the signs are so close together any drawing effect a sign would have is completely lost.

Then there are other areas where we have to print individual sale tags and put them over the regular labels instead of putting up the signs. For some reason this makes the product sell more. Maybe it's because our customers are imbeciles who can't look a couple inches to the left or right of their face to figure out how much something will be.

The process generally takes too long and has too few people doing it. On Sunday mornings when the weekly ads start, ad set can take up half the shift if it's a big set.

As for pricing, I kind of enjoyed just going around the store scanning things and printing labels, and worked quickly and accurately. So it probably shouldn't be surprising that I'm not doing pricing any more.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      As for pricing, I kind of enjoyed just going around the store scanning things and printing labels, and worked quickly and accurately. So it probably shouldn't be surprising that I'm not doing pricing any more.
                      You enjoyed it? That means it's to YOUR benefit to be assigned to do pricing, so (in boss' eyes) it doesn't matter. You did it quickly and accurately? That means it cost the store less in labour (both the initial job, and not having to deal with errors when they got to the register) to have you do pricing than to have someone else do it. In other words, it was to THE STORE'S benefit to assign you to do pricing. Looks like the boss ODed on "stupid pills".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X