This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC vs SC's Dad

So all this had happened on the same call. The call started off with me speaking to a customer about a billing query. We call them 'third party services'. Premium SMS sent to a customer for which they get charged a higher than normal rate. (eg X-Factor voting, text competitions, etc). He's quite level-headed and wants his money back. I give him the contact details for the other company and proceed to block not only his number from receiving these SMS, but also his wife and his daughter's. He then asks me to look at his son's.

Suddenly the son is on the phone yelling at me demanding to know why we were charging his father for these SMS. Bearing in mind, I'd already had this conversation with his dad so I told him that I'd already explained this to him and I was just taking the call to bar him from receiving any.

Anyway I bar it and suddenly he's yelling at me for charging him for usage in India. Sorry mate but yelling at me ain't gonna get anything done. Calling me incompetent and demanding a manager ain't gonna get the job done any quicker. I decline to escalate it to my manager and instead I find myself speaking to his calm Dad again.

At that point, I work out what's happening and the son was absolutely right, we had overcharged him, so I started writing up a recalculation request which would have refunded him about £60-£70 in charges. I'm about to submit it when I get a message saying the account had been altered. The son had been on the phone to someone else demanding credit and he'd got a credit...

...For £40.

Apparently he considered the matter closed.

To be fair, the Dad was brilliant. I said "I can't request a recalculation as he's already on the other line getting it amended now."

Dad: "Ah, should I get him to chat to you and stop being an arse?"

Me: "Not necessary. He's got his credit but he didn't have to fly off the handle the way he did."

Dad: "I'll talk to him."

Lesson to be learned here kids. Screaming and yelling won't necessarily get you more money back.

Insta-karma; just add idiot
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think that he was trying to pull a fast one and get two credits so he makes money.

Comment

I don't think so to be honest. I don't think that he was expecting his Dad to carry on with his query. His Dad was insistent about looking at it but he wasn't rude. I was more than happy to do so.

Comment

I got nailed by one of those text scams once. Was trying to get my mom signed up for food stamps, but was on the wrong site. I provided my phone number and some time later started getting these texts. By the time I figured out what was going on, they'd made off with at least twenty bucks, which on my prepaid account, would've lasted me quite a while. T-Mo blocked them and credited my account though, so it turned out ok in the end.

And I didn't scream or yell or anything. I just told them I had no idea why I was getting them, I never texted them, and I never knowingly signed up for them. It was later that I made the connection.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
            I got nailed by one of those text scams once. Was trying to get my mom signed up for food stamps, but was on the wrong site. I provided my phone number and some time later started getting these texts. By the time I figured out what was going on, they'd made off with at least twenty bucks, which on my prepaid account, would've lasted me quite a while.
            Of all the scummy scams, that one deserves the lowest pits of hell. They harvest numbers from people who hit the wrong site when trying to sign up for food stamps (i.e. people who don't have much in the way of disposable income), and scam them.

If they had harvested numbers from people shopping for Gulfstreams (executive jets), the scammed money wouldn't have hurt the victims as badly.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Of all the scummy scams, that one deserves the lowest pits of hell. They harvest numbers from people who hit the wrong site when trying to sign up for food stamps (i.e. people who don't have much in the way of disposable income), and scam them.

If they had harvested numbers from people shopping for Gulfstreams (executive jets), the scammed money wouldn't have hurt the victims as badly.
              Scammers go where the numbers are. They'd much rather have $10 from a thousand people than $100 from ten people. Also, there is less chance authorities will chase a $10 individual scam when there are bigger scams.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X