This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing up the wayback machine....

In my earliest days in the workforce, I worked for the Mart that Mr. Kresge built. I started, as most do, as a lowly stock boy - and for those not aware, that means my job description was essentially 'Witless Minion, Wrangler of Carts, Unloader of Trucks, Creator of End Cap Displays, Mover of Heavy Objects, Wielder of the Sacred Plunger, Underling to All Others, Operator of the Blinking Blue Light of Doom, and (take a deep breath) Executive Secretary-Intern for the Assistant Deputy Chief Advisor to the Third Chairman of the Retail District Subdivision of the Committee for Profitable Semi-Aesthetic Public Spectacle.

Just as a note, I think that last one was kind of a bogus job title. It sure FELT like I was the guy that had to set up sale paraphernalia.

It was in my capacity as Mover of Heavy Objects from which today's tale of suck hails. The customer purchased a Quasar console television. Those are extinct now, and in fact this particular unit was quite possibly the last of its kind. If you're not familiar with a console television, the last examples looked something like this:

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content...CONSOLE_TV.jpg

HEAVY, though not as bad as their vacuum-tube ancestors. Still heavy enough to need two grown men to move this beastie. And obviously bulky as well, as it was by definition FURNITURE. And because of the very large, made-of-glass cathode-ray tube (the part you look at), extremely fragile.

Now, common sense would dictate that if you're going to buy a bulky, heavy, fragile, and expensive piece of furniture/electronics, you should probably come prepared with a vehicle capable of sufficient size and capacity to get it home.

I'm sure you already see where this story is going. Yup, the individual in question had a little clown-car economy sedan. Not even a hatchback - a f*cking 4-door SEDAN with a trunk just big enough for a loaf of bread, provided you didn't buy the jumbo size.. The television was almost as big as the damned car.

And naturally, he was pissed at US because we couldn't find a way to get that teevee into his car. He got seriously nasty about it, too. Like it was OUR fault he bought the tiniest car he could find.

My half-joking suggestion was to tie it to his roof - which would have been a sight indeed, but fortunately, he realized what that much weight would do to his precious little econobox. Finally, I offered another suggestion. For a fee, I'd deliver it to him after work. I had one of those little Ford Couriers, which was an ideal vehicle for stuff like this. I made it clear that he'd have to help me get it out of the truck and into the house, but yes, for $20 I'd bring right to his house.

He grumbled that I should deliver it for free - until I pointed out that K-mart didn't technically deliver items, and I'd be doing this off the clock, with my own vehicle, on my own time, using my own gas. And frankly $20 was a bargain, considering that the store would close within an hour and he'd never get home to borrow someone else's vehicle and back to the store in time.

He ultimately accepted my offer and paid me my $20, buy he kept grumbling how I was 'blackmailing' him. Whatever, dude. And no, delivery doesn't include hooking it up.
    Last edited by ADeMartino; 01-10-2014, 11:06 PM.

Ugh. The repair center was more fun. Apparently, from the time they'd drop of their heavy, big item, they'd forget what size/weight their product was. Without fail, some idiot would drive up in a little GEO Metro or GEO Tracker and expect us to magically wedge their tractor, wash machine or rear projection big screen into their vehicle. These objects were generally bigger than the car and three times as heavy!

I'm sorry, your vehicle is not the bag of infinite holding. It's not the Tardis. Your product isn't gonna fit no matter how much wishful thinking we put into it. Of course we'll hold it until 3:00pm (which is when we closed on Saturdays), but if you aren't back before then, it'll be Monday before you can pick it up. And cue the whining that they have to drive 15 minutes and back.. and it's three hours before closing.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
      In my earliest days in the workforce, I worked for the Mart that Mr. Kresge built. I started, as most do, as a lowly stock boy - and for those not aware, that means my job description was essentially 'Witless Minion, Wrangler of Carts, Unloader of Trucks, Creator of End Cap Displays, Mover of Heavy Objects, Wielder of the Sacred Plunger, Underling to All Others, Operator of the Blinking Blue Light of Doom, and (take a deep breath) Executive Secretary-Intern for the Assistant Deputy Chief Advisor to the Third Chairman of the Retail District Subdivision of the Committee for Profitable Semi-Aesthetic Public Spectacle.
      That's a lot of words for "store bitch."

And all of that is pretty much my job.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Irv, I just KNEW you'd get the humor in that. I actually had a manager laughing when I created a similarly-pretentious job 'title' like that. My manager was amused. The STORE manager.... was not. But then, the SM never really liked my idea of 'humor'.

Comment

Back at my very first job, a massive non-Mart grocery store chain, their euphimism for this was "Courtesy Clerk" .. .damn, but I hated that job.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

OMG my family "inherited" a bigger model than that from my Grandmother. YES it was the old multi-tube in-the-guts type besides the big ole picture tube.

Heck my parents once bought one of those combo units ie. turntable, radio, cassette player in the cabinet models. 90% of the volumn thing was air.

Then there was the OLD cabinet radio (tubes galore) with at least 20 different receiving frequencies (only 2 of which worked AM and FM).
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Photo looks like a modern interpretation of a console TV - someone's either "gutted" an old one and stuck a fairly recent set into the cabinet, or they built a cabinet to fit a recent set. Back in the days of console sets, you wouldn't see black cabinets, and they would have had rotary controls. Still, console TVs were "ye olde giant screen (26 inch) boob tube".

Never saw Quasar in real life, but I remember their commercials "The works in a drawer". Yep, when (not if) they needed fixing, instead of having to pull the set away from the wall and open the back, the chassis was in a drawer that pulled out from the front. Must have made routing high frequency (and high voltage) cables from the chassis to the tube really fun.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

We have a console TV in our house right now. We have no idea how old it is; it belonged to the previous owner's mother, and after she died it lasted through several renters before my mother bought the house. Last year the picture tube finally went. Heavy as those bastards are, they built them to last.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Back at my very first job, a massive non-Mart grocery store chain, their euphimism for this was "Courtesy Clerk" .. .damn, but I hated that job.
                  did you work at Man of Swag? i worked at one in my town for a week (hated it, customers were beyond entitled) and i swear that's what they called the bag/cart crew. i was so relieved when i quit.
                  there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

My Grandma never throws anything out, when she's done using it, she moves it to a less-used room of the house in case she should ever need it again.

It's led to an interesting history museum look to the house, you can kinda see the evolution in home appliance over the decades while walking from the basement up to the top floor..... so of course she has an old console TV. The last time I remember it being turned on, the picture was seriously blurry with the colors bleeding everywhere, but the audio still works, so that's probably why she doesn't count it as broken and toss it out for good, that and I'll bet it weighs like a lawnmower.

She still has a rotary phone that, as far as I know, will give you a dial tone if you pick it up.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      She still has a rotary phone that, as far as I know, will give you a dial tone if you pick it up.
                      It probably will still work, at least as far as dialing and receiving phone calls. The telcos maintain at least some degree of backwards-compatability with old equipment and those old rotary phones are nigh-indestructible. I have one in my closet that still has its original alphanumeric-prefix number in the center of the dial, and the last time I had landline service, it worked perfectly. there were problems with automated menus, though. "Press one for English" doesn't work with the old pulse dialing.

Comment

It's exceedingly rare, but som of those business exchanges do support pulse for menus. I've only come across one in my whole life that did though.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                          Now, common sense would dictate that if you're going to buy a bulky, heavy, fragile, and expensive piece of furniture/electronics, you should probably come prepared with a vehicle capable of sufficient size and capacity to get it home.

I'm sure you already see where this story is going. Yup, the individual in question had a little clown-car economy sedan. Not even a hatchback - a f*cking 4-door SEDAN with a trunk just big enough for a loaf of bread, provided you didn't buy the jumbo size.. The television was almost as big as the damned car.
                          Is it really that horrifically difficult to understand the laws of physics?! How the hell do these morons even survive if they're that stupid? (I suppose because it's illegal to kill them.)

When we first moved here, we bought lots of new furniture for the apartment: beds, futon sofa, dressers, lots of bookshelves. We rented a U-Haul truck with a ramp and took that to the furniture stores. The employees thanked us profusely.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            When we first moved here, we bought lots of new furniture for the apartment: beds, futon sofa, dressers, lots of bookshelves. We rented a U-Haul truck with a ramp and took that to the furniture stores. The employees thanked us profusely.
                            It's one reason I love having a truck - and it's not even a 'big' truck, either. My current ride is a Chevy S10, and it hauls absolutely everything I need it to. The potential future Mrs DeMartino likes to repair, refinish, and resell flea-market furniture, so my little truck definitely earns its keep. I will never again be without some form of truck, van, or at least a trailer and the means to pull it.

Comment

We had one for almost two decades (I thought they were called cabinet TVs) that had a Rutherford name plate on the front and the back said it was built in 1980; despite my best efforts at looking through Google images and the like, I can't find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X