X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeviantPARK: Critique Requested

I like to think of myself as an artist

Apparently, so do these two folks.

In fact, you both seem to have a pretty exalted opinion of your artistic sensibilities as you two felt confident enough to create your own fake permits for parking, COMPLETELY BY HAND. No digital assist on these.

Deviation 1: "The Pen is Mightier"

The art critic in me was not impressed by your execution, but here's some constructive criticism should you wish to improve.

Next time, when trying to fake a blue permit, try using a color printer, or paper that's already the right shade of blue, and not a white piece of paper, colored-in meticulously, thin line by thin line, by blue ball-point pen.

The 89 cents you spent on that cheap pack of BIC's may have been a CHEAPER option, but it was not the BETTER one.

Perhaps you should step back a bit and try mastering fingerpainting first before you attempt your artistic daring in the more tricky of mediums?

On the bright side, the $115 you're going to have to shell out to get the car back is going to go a long way towards motivating you, as we all know all "true" artists are both angsty and starving.

Deviation 2: White Line Nightmare

Excellent cut out job, considering the real stickers are elliptical, that's a tough shape to get right. Your scissor marks are not obvious until you get really close.

And I like the use of packaging tape to make it stick to the window without being obviously not made of self-sticking material like the genuine window permits.

Your sizing needs a little work, it's about 10% too big. Not bad, I've seen much worse.

But what really needs attention is your lettering job. The real permits are red with white letters, you sourced the correct shade of red, but, to get the white letters, you drew them, by hand, with white-out, using the brush that came with the bottle.......

And, you didn't exactly have a steady hand as you did it........ did you have 20 cups of coffee before trying it? The letters looked awfully jittery, as it were....

Final evaluation: As Chuck Jones once said, everyone has 1,000 bad drawings in them, the secret to becoming good as an animator/artist is to get those 1,000 bad ones out of your system.

You've just taken your first step down a very long path, grasshopper. One day, you may find your skills if you persist.

Hope you have $115,000 in the bank though, 1,000 tows might be hard on your wallet.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Coloured in with a Biro? I can't comprehend that stupidity. Just wow.

Comment

Where's the like button?

And wouldn't it be cheaper--and better--for them to just get a proper permit? I mean, who do they think they're fooling?
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Hang around here a while, CTH -- You will hear...er, read... many a tale of substandard IQ's...

Khel - They think they are fooling Argabarga the Tow Lord. They thought wrong.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Hang around here a while, CTH -- You will hear...er, read... many a tale of substandard IQ's...
          But not even with a crayon. A flipping ballpoint! I can't even...

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            And wouldn't it be cheaper--and better--for them to just get a proper permit? I mean, who do they think they're fooling?
            Some people will spend $500 to do something illegally rather than spend $5 to do it legitimately.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

And wouldn't it be cheaper--and better--for them to just get a proper permit?
              At $115 per tow, I can't imagine one of those taking long to pay for itself.
              I mean, who do they think they're fooling?
              Well, they're definitely fooling themselves, if they think they can get a fake past Arga.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Problem with those fake parking permits is that the prize for the best of them is still having your car towed and paying $115 to get it back.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post

Deviation 1: "The Pen is Mightier"
                  I've gotta ask you about the Penis Mightier. Does it work? Will it really mighty my penis?
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I've gotta ask you about the Penis Mightier.
                    Suck it, Trebek!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Hope you have $115,000 in the bank though, 1,000 tows might be hard on your wallet.
                      If he's lucky, there might be a few drops in there.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Suck it, Trebek!
                        Damn you and your Daily Doubles, ye brigand!
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Khel - They think they are fooling Argabarga the Tow Lord. They thought wrong.
                          Low Int and Wis is one thing, but when it dips into negative numbers I have to ask; "How did they even start their car without locking themselves in the trunk?"
                          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

You know, I always LOVED seeing the creative fake handicap permits in my mall parking lot Especially the badly scanned ones, or when they cut-out the line with the expiration date and taped the 2-halves together; but you could still see the edges.

Favorite is when the permit was strategically 'broken' so that just the very end of the expiration date was missing, so you didn't know if it expired in 2010 or 2017!
                            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

My university had these really elaborate parking passes. Super shiny, self adhesive, flexible polymascotfomalate jobbie-dos.

If your stories describe the best these forgers can do, then that's one more thing my old school wasted money on.

Comment

Working...
                              X