This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new era

As most of you know, my precious, loving kitty slipped away last September. She had cancer - a particularly aggressive kind - and had to be put to sleep.

I've visited several shelters, and finally, today, I went to pick up my chosen kitten.

He's eight months old, and had been hit by a car. His tail and one of his back legs had to be amputated. They neutered him at the same time, and he's healthy. He's very sweet, and he's been exploring my place since he was let out of the carrier.

The people at the shelter were urging me to adopt a second kitty, since this boy will need a friend. They had two particular cats in mind, and I took at look at each of them.

I came home with a bag of cat food, a bag of kitty litter, a litter box, and two kitties. The other one, a female, is hiding under my bed. Food and water are out for them, and the litter boxes have been filled with fresh litter.

The woman from the shelter drove us home, along with the litter and box and food.

What did all this cost?

The adoption fee for one kitty. They gave me the second for free.

Lovely. Just be careful about trying to obey two masters.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Congratulations!

Recommended procedure is to start them out somewhere small, typically a bathroom, then gradually give them the run of the house. The hiding under the bed can become pretty constant, and getting the kitty out when you need her out can become a huge hassle if she habitually goes under there.

Cat trees and/or cubbies and/or just plain boxes can give cats good places to feel secure.

I miss my tripod kitty...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

I miss my tripod kitty...
        That's what I've named him! It seemed the logical choice. I also thought of "Bear", since he looks something like a baby bear, but Tripod wins.

Any ideas on what to name the girl? She's a black kitty. She's still in hiding, but she's come out from under the bed to hide in a corner behind a bookcase. I'd like to avoid the usual names given to black cats - Midnight, and the like - so other suggestions are welcome!

Comment

How about Styx, as in the river Styx from Greek mythology over which the dead were ferried to Hades? "Stygian", which is derived from Styx, is a word meaning "very dark".

Also Greek, there's Aphotic, which means "without light", and the aphotic zone is the portion of a body of water where less than 1% of sunlight penetrates.

Another Greek name, there's Artemis. She was Apollo's twin sister, and the goddess of the hunt (appropriate for a cat).

Switching mythologies, there's Bastet, for the Egyptian goddess of the home, domesticity, women's secrets, cats, fertility and childbirth. She protected the home from evil spirits and disease, especially those associated with women and children.

Also from Egypt, there's Sekhmet, the lion-headed goddess. She was a warrior goddess as well as a goddess of healing. Her breath was said to have formed the desert, and she was seen as the protector of the pharaohs and led them in warfare.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post

Any ideas on what to name the girl? She's a black kitty. She's still in hiding, but she's come out from under the bed to hide in a corner behind a bookcase. I'd like to avoid the usual names given to black cats - Midnight, and the like - so other suggestions are welcome!
            So Kuro would be out of the question then?

Comment

I like the name "Misha" myself

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                That's what I've named him! It seemed the logical choice. I also thought of "Bear", since he looks something like a baby bear, but Tripod wins.

The name that came to me is Shadow.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My sister's family named their two Labs after scientists. Tesla is the black one, also the smart one. Photos of her tend to come out as a silhouette. (For that matter, I tried to sketch her once, and *that* came out as a silhouette!) Faraday is the yellow one, twice her size and half the brains.

Comment

Yay two for one!! Bless your kitties, I think Bast is pleased!

If you like any of the Egyptian names, how about Nefer? It means good or beautiful
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

...you could call her Quad? XD

Comment

Right now, I need to FIND her. The little boy has taken to my place as if he owns it - eating his food, drinking his water, using the litter, and going in all sorts of places where he's not allowed.

The girl was spending her time under the bed, and today, when I checked, she wasn't there. I don't live in a big place - it's very small - and I've searched everywhere. I've looked under all the furniture and behind it and on top of it. I've checked the bookcases. I've checked under the bed again. I looked in cupboards. I haven't seen her.

I know she was here when I went to bed last night, and I haven't been out yet today, so she's got to be in here. I just don't know where she could be.

Comment

She's all right. I found her in a very good hiding place, and she shows no signs of wanting to come out. She must be making food runs at night. Meanwhile, the boy is roaming the place, looking for trouble.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Eireann; 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I suppose 'Pod has been named for good. Otherwise Triffid would be a good name .
                            The girl looks wary but not really scared. She'll come out in time.
                            What about Tregul or Bygul? Freya's cats according to Diana Paxton.

Comment

I think I've decided on a name for her, but thanks for all of the suggestions!

I don't have much of an idea of her personality yet. When I got down on the floor yesterday to talk to her, she stretched out one foreleg and gave me a slow blink. Tripod, meanwhile, is definitely making himself at home. He's been purring, rubbing against me, sitting on my chest, draping himself across my legs when I'm trying to sleep - you know the routine.

It looks like I've struck it lucky again.

Comment

Working...
                              X