This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who don't understand the phrase "do you mind if..."

This has been my biggest peeve ever since returning to the world of retail. It's simple phrase, really, but time and again I have people giving me the incorrect answer to the question.

Example:

ME: Do you mind if I ring you up in two seperate transactions? (I asked because doing two transactions would make my job a lot easier)
    SC: No.
    ME: rings up the first part of his sale and totals the amount, runs the card, and presents him with the slip to sign.
    SC: What's this? Why is there only half of my stuff on here?
    ME: Well, I had asked if I could ring up the sale in two transactions...
    SC: And I told you "No"! What part of "No" don't you understand?
    Me: blinks, and decides getting into the semantic arguement isn't worth my time.

If you DON'T want me to do it that means you DO mind and thus the answer should have been YES. A answer of NO means that you DON'T mind and that I'm gonna do it.

"The world is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think." - Shakespeare

Quoth Javvypants View Post
    If you DON'T want me to do it that means you DO mind and thus the answer should have been YES. A answer of NO means that you DON'T mind and that I'm gonna do it.
    Alternately, I tend to hear "yes" when the person means "yes, do it." (TV scriptwriters seem to do this alot).

I'm nice that way, I clarify what I mean (as in "no, I don't mind"). Of course, in the process confusing people who do it the wrong way...
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Javvypants View Post
      All I can tell you is--If it makes sense, it's not allowed.©
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Perhaps rephrasing the question might help: "Would it be OK if...?" That way, no means no and yes means yes. Or, just don't give them a choice: "I'll need to ring this as 2 transactions. Sorry." We used to have to do that when teachers were using their discount card and were also buying magazines or other things the card doesn't apply to. (Finally they got smart and actually programmed the computer so the discount wouldn't come off those things. Gee, what a concept.)
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think getting rid of "do you mind?" would help......because a lot of times, I've been guilty of saying yes, when I really meant "Yes" as in "That's ok"...I think anyone can be guilty of it.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

This is why I use my words, and say "No, go ahead," or "Yes, it must all be on one receipt." Amazing what happens when you communicate effectively. When dealing with the public, however, I give as few options as possible.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

it's also great when they're asked, "is there anything else you need/we can get for you?"

they answer: "yes."

then after you ask them what they need, they look at you blankly or say, "nothing."

wtf? if there's nothing else, the answer is no, so say, "no." how hard is it, really?
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

alternately, when youve already told them the solution to they're problem, ask if theres anythign else you can do, and they same something along the lines of, nope, just wanting to (insert orriginal request here)

Comment

Working...
                X