Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The power of Harry Potter compels you!

So my bookstore is having a giant Harry Potter launch.
    We will have circus acts, magicians, bands, facepainting, etc.
    So today the Graphic designer and I looked out the window and saw a guy making balloon animals and hats for kids. So we thought, Hey, wouldn't it be great to have a guy doing that at our Potter thing?
    Like a good little manager I went over to him.
    Me-Excuse me sir, I'm from the bookstore across the street and we were wondering if you could come to our Harry Potter party and...'
    Guy cuts me off, looks at me like I crawled from a sewer:
    -Oh NO. I serve the LORD JESUS CHRIST and NOT THAT DEVIL HARRY POTTER!
    Me-Um. Okay...Thank you for your time....
    Guy-It's just this weird thing I have, I SERVE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
    I back away slowly.
    He also smelled as if he had been looking for Jesus at the bottoms of a lot of beer cans.
    The guy in our store who will be playing Harry Potter at the party was thinking of dressing up like Harry, going over to the balloon guy, and pointing a wand at him while screaming 'THE POWER OF HARRY POTTER COMPELS YOU!'

After the first outburst, I would have just told the guy "Oh my bad, didn't realize you were batshit insane. Carry on."
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Oh, don't remind me. I still have to assemble my Bellatrix Lestrange Costume. Problem is, it shows too much clevage.

So one of the other co-workers, who is mildly into cosplay (Cosplaying Resident Evil and other "Police" type deals; He's planning to take a few ideas and notes from Negima and modify it abit so that it appears he's a Combat Mage), suggested I go as Nymphadora Tonks.

Suffice to say, he ain't gonna walk good for a while.

Comment

Problem is, it shows too much clevage.
        That's a problem?

</pervert mode>
        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
          suggested I go as Nymphadora Tonks.

Suffice to say, he ain't gonna walk good for a while.
          But! Tonks RULE! I wish I could change my hair at will, I always wanted pink hair, but I'm too chicken because it's a bit hard (and expensive!) to change back in case I hate it

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
            That's a problem?

</pervert mode>
            I have no idea how I did it, but I swear it's show way too much clevage than the movie version!!

Here's one reference pic I used.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llatrix_HD.jpg

I'm pretty much thinking of just dressing up in my Lulu costume.
            Last edited by Hon'ya-chan; 07-06-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

So, where's your version?

Rapscallion

Comment

That stuff drives me nuts - the people that think Harry Potter is so evil.... do you know how many GOOD messages there are? Like battling against evil - not giving in to bad stuff, I don't think Slitherin is promoted a whole lot in the books - so the greediness, evil, conspiring ways are spoken badly about, there's messages of sticking with your friends and supporting each other, not believing in rumors or gossip (i.e. Sirius Black & Prof. Lupin - and heck Mad Eye Moody I think too) - there's just so much good stuff in the books too - yes it's fantasy and yes it revolves around a magic school...... but my gosh if you're going to bash fantasy then Star Wars is evil and satantic too....... it's MAKE BELIEVE people..... I've always been interested in witches and magic and stuff but I'm not doing spells in my house or renouncing God b/c I also happen to like Harry Potter and the Anne Rice books and such..... it's creative..... I don't see the evil as long as you balance it out by making sure kids know that stuff is make believe........

Comment

You guys are pigs!

But Air914, that would require an actual READING of the Evil Tomes so that the nutjobs would know what the hell they were talking about. Any that would make sense. And you know making sense is NOT allowed here.

Comment

i never understood the whole harry potter is evil thing my self.

im actually a witch, (practicing pagan that is) and let me tell you there is nothing in those books remotly close to the sort of witchcraft i have done or others have done.

i dont think that those people who feel that way about harry potter have even read the books, otherwise they would understand that.

oh wait, witches have been given a bad name by the church for centuries, i guess they wouldnt know the difference anyway.

of course anything that encourages a child to read and use their imagination must be evil.
                    "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                      of course anything that encourages a child to read and use their imagination must be evil.
                      well, uh, yeah. Anything that stops kids from being mindless drones and keeps them from questioning just makes indoctrination and inculcation harder. Don't you know Rock music is rotting the... whoops, I mean don't you know Harry Potter is rotting the minds of children today?! Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                        That stuff drives me nuts - the people that think Harry Potter is so evil.... do you know how many GOOD messages there are? Like battling against evil - not giving in to bad stuff,
                        It's a modern day scape goat, just like Dungeons and Dragons when I was young.

Oh, and there is no problems with clevage.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                          i never understood the whole harry potter is evil thing my self.
                          Thank "The Onion" for their article about Harry Potter and kids learning to summon demons from it. People continually point to it as a source of proof for the 'ebil' that is Harry Potter, not realizing The Onion is satire.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Blueberry View Post
                            The guy in our store who will be playing Harry Potter at the party was thinking of dressing up like Harry, going over to the balloon guy, and pointing a wand at him while screaming 'THE POWER OF HARRY POTTER COMPELS YOU!'
                            I did something similar to some old bitty who chastized myself and a young girl with whom I was talking to at a table full of HP stuff at Barnes & Noble last week. The girl was about 9 or 10, and was looking at the stacks of HP stuff and I asked her who her favorite character is, and we got talking about the plots and who think is gonna die and if Dumbledore was really dead, etc. It was actually a very intellectual conversation (probably better than most adults!) and some lady came up to us and started telling us we would go to Hell, HP is the devil's work, blah blah blah.

So, I asked her if she had ever read the books. She of course said no. I then asked her how she knew what the books were about then and she said that she had been told they were. I then told her that Columbus was told the world was flat, but he didn't believe them and went to find out for himself, and look what happened. I told her that yes, there is witchcraft as a background theme, but all the 'spells' are made up and mostly Latin based, some from other foreign languages.

I guess it didn't sway her, because she said that she will never read them because they promote witchcraft and that she believes that our minds will be corrupted. Seeing as I wasn't going to change her mind, I took my replica of Hermione's wand out of my backpack (I had just bought it), pointed it at her and said "evanesco". She freaked and started walking away. I said loudly enough "Wow, it really does work! You are actually going away! I think I will try this spell more often!" The little girl I was talking to was in hysterics laughing when her mom came up and asked what we were laughing at, and I explained what happened.
                            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

PFFFFFTTTT!!!!! LOL!!

Rule 1, broken! You win the thread Kitten!

Comment

Working...
                              X