X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Norman Bates Complained About the Cookies

it might go something like this.
    This happened a few weeks ago. It was very odd.

This concerns a brand of cookies we sell called Mother's.
    So, I'm in the checkstand between customers. It's a slow time of day. I notice an elderly lady approaching me with a small brown bag. I assume she's about to return something. She's dressed in an overcoat. Her hair looks a little odd, probably a wig. It a bit off, like she put it on in a hurry.

She stops about ten feet away. She looks left. She looks right. She looks behind her. It's like she's making sure she's not being watched, or something. She looks at me and flicks her head to the side, signalling me to come over to her. So, I go to see what she wants.

lady: I bought these the other day. And there's a problem with them. (Her voice is coarse and deep. I'm thinking she's a heavy smoker)
    me: Oh, OK. Well, do you want to exchange them or get a refund?
    lady: Oh, no.
    me: What is it then?
    lady: Well, let me show you.

She hands me the brown paper bag. Inside is an empty bag of Mother's cookies.

me: Was something wrong with them?

She looks around again, like she's making sure no one else is close enough to hear.

lady: Well, look inside. Don't you see it? (She's practically whispering now)

I look in the bag, this time more carefully. I'm expecting to see something. I look and look, but all I see is an empty bag of cookies.

me: I don't see anything. What am I supposed to see?
    lady: Hmmph!!

She takes the bag from my hand, opens it up and looks inside. She puts the open end right in my face.

lady: You don't see that!!
    me: Ma'am. I'm sorry. I see an empty cookie bag. What am I supposed to see?
    lady: Don't you see that? At the bottom of the bag!
    me: You mean .... the crumbs.
    lady: Yes!!
    me: Do you want like a refund or something? I'm not clear on how I can help you.
    lady: I don't want a refund. But don't you think that someone should tell Mother.
    me: Tell mother? what?
    lady: Don't you think that someone should tell mother that her cookies are leaving a lot of crumbs.
    me: Ma'am, every bag of cookies, all brands, are going to have crumbs on the bottom.
    lady: Oh, I've never had lots of crumbs left by Mother. Not her cookies.
    me: So, what can I do for you?
    lady: Well, someone just needs to tell her about the crumb problem.
    me: Tell her......mother........about the crumbs. You mean, you want us to talk to her?
    lady: Well, yes, so she can take care of the problem. Don't you think someone should tell her?
    me: Mother's is just the brand name. There's no one here in the store to tell. I'd have to call that company....and.....
    lady: (She just stares at me.)
    me: (I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.) OK, ma'am. I'll see what I can do.
    lady: So you'll do that. You'll call mother and let her know about it?
    me: Yes, ma'am. I'll call mother. I'll do my best.
    lady: Ok, well then, thank you. Someone just needs to let her know.

She closed her brown paper bag with the empty bag of Mother's cookies. She looked around again. And then she walked off and out the door.

Okay, totally creeped out here. I'm surprised she didn't take out a knife and start stabbing you!

"Tell Mother about these crumbs!" Tell Mother's yourself, loony-tunes! Write to the company! The store has nothing to do with production.

Though it might amuse Mother's Corporate if you were to forward your post to them...
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

So, Mother left some....remnants....?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And that's when I had to kill her, you Honor.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          And that's when I had to kill her, you Honor.

Best answer yet!

Comment

True story: Ed Gein (the delightful whack job who was the inspiration for Norman Bates) was served a meal after his arrest. As the writer Harold Schecter described it, Ed Gein (whose house of horrors was filled with rotting body parts) complained about his dessert, saying that the cheese served with his apple pie was dry.

(PS - Ed Gein was also the inspiration for Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Jame Gumb in Silence of the Lambs).
            To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
            To pursue it with forks and hope;
            To threaten its life with a railway share;
            To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

At least she didn't bring in a glass of milk and complain about the cookie poop in the bottom.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
              X