This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
    My oldest niece, just a few weeks ago, got her driver's license. I promised her that when she got her license and had a little time to practice, I'd teach her how to drive my ancient pickup truck.

It's going to be an interesting day when she holds me to my promise. There's a nice big empty Kmart parking lot not far from here where we'll practice the finer points of a mechanical clutch, column-shift 3-speed, manual choke, and complete lack of any sort of power assist.
    Is the transmission synchronized, or is it a "crashbox" (one where you need to double-clutch)? What year is your truck? Mine is only 10 years old, and it's got a mechanical clutch and "crashbox" transmission - I'll see your 3 speeds and raise you 10.

Has your niece heard "Automatic" by Miranda Lambert? A few lines:

They say that shifting gears ain't what it used to be
    I learned to drive that '55, just like a queen 3 on the tree
    Last edited by EricKei; 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

Is the transmission synchronized, or is it a "crashbox" (one where you need to double-clutch)? What year is your truck? Mine is only 10 years old, and it's got a mechanical clutch and "crashbox" transmission - I'll see your 3 speeds and raise you 10.

Has your niece heard "Automatic" by Miranda Lambert? A few lines:

They say that shifting gears ain't what it used to be
      I learned to drive that '55, just like a queen 3 on the tree
      Don't know if she's ever heard 'Automatic' or not, but in her entire life I don't think she's ever even RIDDEN in anything that had a carburetor.

The pickup is a '64 Ford half-ton with a 223 six-cylinder engine, and does indeed have synchronizers. So yeah, not quite stone-age.

I told her if she can learn to drive my old iron, she'll be able to drive almost anything she wants to.

Comment

Working...
      X