This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, that's NOT yours!

I was going to put this in cursing out coworkers, but it goes beyond just that so I'm putting here.

I write as a hobby (hopefully someday as a profession). I write poems, songs, fiction, the occasional non-fiction. As as any good writer does, I try to have some paper and a writing instrument accessible to me whenever possible because you can never be sure when inspiration will strike. I hate getting a really good idea and finding myself unable to write it down to work on later.

My breaks at work are usually about an hour of which I spend 20 minutes or so eating and the rest is just downtime. I decided to bring a notepad and pen to work with me so I could work on my writing during that downtime.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished writing a poem and left the break room momentarily to use the bathroom. When I returned I found one of my CWs READING MY NOTEPAD.

Now my writings don't contain anything scandalous but they are private and nobody's business but my own.

I confronted CW.

CW: (referring to the poem I had just finished) Did you write this? It's really good.
    Me: Thank you, but I don't appreciate you just grabbing my pad and flipping through it.
    CW: Oh, I'm sorry, I just wanted to see what it was.
    Me: It doesn't matter. If you don't know what something is and it doesn't concern you at all then you don't touch it.
    CW: I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd mind. It's just a silly poem.
    Me: I DO mind. Please don't do go through my things again without permission.

I told CW if it ever happened again I'd go to my boss about it. To his credit, he never bothered me after that.

Now another somewhat related story:

While working at the games store I decided one day to bring in some treats (brownies) for my coworkers. I set them to the side on the back counter to keep them safe.

A few minutes later I get called away to help a customer on the floor while my other CW is in the back. During this time the counter is unguarded. When I return to the counter area I see another customer feeding the brownies to her kids.

Me: Um, excuse me, those aren't for customers, they're for employees.
    SC: Well I didn't know, there was no sign on them!
    Me: They were on the back counter, in an area that is not meant for customers.
    SC: THERE WAS NO SIGN! I figured anybody could eat them.
    Me: You figured wrong. They weren't for you. I don't appreciate you stealing them.
    SC: I am NOT a thief! (yes she actually said this)
    Me: You took something that wasn't yours, what else does that make you?

At this point my manager got involved and eventually sent the non-theiving thief lady packing.

Since I didn't want my coworkers to lose out because of that stupid lady, I brought in some new brownies the next day and stuffed them in a drawer where they were 100% NOT accessible by customers.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Who feeds food of unknown origin to their kids?!

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
      Who feeds food of unknown origin to their kids?!
      The same type of person who would then try and sue if their kids was allergic to something in the pilfered food.

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
        The same type of person who would then try and sue if their kids was allergic to something in the pilfered food.
        Agree 150%! Gads, how dumb can people get. Oh, wait...
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          When I return to the counter area I see another customer feeding the brownies to her kids.
          If she tried that in somewhere like, say, Amsterdam, she might have found those brownies had an extra ingredient she hadn't bargained for.

No way I'd touch food (or give it to my child) that I didn't know what was in it.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

CW: I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd mind. It's just a silly poem.

So... the poem was good, but now it's a "silly" poem because the CW's ego is bruised.

I don't do as much poetry these days, but I too have brought notebooks to work (at my second to last job) to write during a break. Ended up completing a ST:A fanfic that way.

Right now though, when I have my notebook with me it's just to jot down ideas, or plan out my task-list for my current webdesign project

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

So... the poem was good, but now it's a "silly" poem because the CW's ego is bruised.

*snipy* but I too have brought notebooks to work (at my second to last job) to write during a break. Ended up completing a ST:A fanfic that way.

Yeah I noticed how it went from good to "silly" as well and that would've insulted me a bit more than them just reading through my stuff. I take my writing very seriously (I went to college for it) and if someone tried to pass it off as a "cute trick" I would probably hurt them.

Funny note: I actually have downtime at work right now and am writing! I just peek at CS to take a brief moment to reorganize my brain before writing some more.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

You should of told her those were for a coworker. That they are a special recipe used for those with bowel issues or are planning on going to get a colonoscopy (sp?)
                I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

"There was no sign" ? THAT'S her excuse? When customers don't read signs anyway?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X