This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      You're still eligible for COBRA coverage. Tell HR you want to sign up for COBRA, submit the paperwork but not the check. As long as you don't use the coverage you can keep it without paying the premium. If something happens, pay the premium right away, and you'll be covered.
      I didn't know that. I had cobra once after getting out of college; was darn near 400$ a month. How does it work that you don't have to pay the premium; I thought that was an upfront thing?
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        I didn't know that. I had cobra once after getting out of college; was darn near 400$ a month. How does it work that you don't have to pay the premium; I thought that was an upfront thing?
        I did this with my current job, when I left my last one, but it was 12 years ago, so the details are fuzzy, and things may have changed, but here's what I think I did. My coverage ended when I left my last job, and my new one's coverage had a 90-day waiting period.

I think, if I recall, I had so many days, maybe 60, to turn in my COBRA paperwork. And then I had more time, maybe 30 days, before my first premium was due. Which was 90. So I waited until the end, turned in my paperwork, opting FOR COBRA, and then had another 30 days until my first premium was due. And at that point, my new insurance kicked in., since it was about 90 days.

However, had I ever needed it, as long as I paid the FULL amount, for those 3 months before my new coverage began, I would have been covered retroactively. That's they key, you can get by without paying, if you don't need it, but if you do, you must pay the full 3 months.

Someone else may be able to shed more light on this, but that's what I did, as my COBRA was something like $450 a month.

Comment

Try this COBRA Faq

Comment

Call your former HR group, provided you have that information, and get a quote for how much COBRA coverage will run. If you're truly unlucky (like I was last year), it'll be in the 1500 per month range.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Also, when checking on COBRA ask what isn't going to be covered - in my case I could elect to continue dental and health but not vision or Rx. If Rx isn't covered make sure you order what you need before hand. (The day I got laid off they told us to fill any Rx's we needed since that coverage ended at midnight).

Comment

Well, I'm all signed-up with the new company, got my new uniforms, and my work week continues tonight. They do have a very nice 401K, a benefits program with discounts at various stores, hotels, etc., and comparable medical. Still, when I add up the fact that I'm dropping 1.88$ an hour in pay (to work as hard or harder!), at full-time I lose 300$ a month, which makes me cry. I'm already trying to pinch pennies here and there. I'm already on a diet, so at least I'm not spending much on food! But ouch, it hurts! Oh, and we don't start earning vacation until after a year with the company.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Would you be able to get a small second job? 300 is a huge amount out of a already stretched budget.

Comment

I'm glad it seems to be working out for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X