This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job! <3

So in a previous thread I made reference to the fact I had basically been forced to sign a zero-hour contract with Electronics Superstores when they closed the Computer Superstore I worked at. I don’t like Zero-hour contracts so I went looking for another job that would give me guaranteed hours and an actual career progression path.

It did not take me long to find one who are happy to continue to let me work at Electronics Superstores as a part time job while I also work for them and here’s the thing; I have been found by these guys before but they filled the position internally before they could get to me. I just didn’t know it.

When it became clear that our store was closing and moving, it also became clear that none of our jobs were safe so I put my CV on the website of every single recruitment site on the god damn planet. My CV was like the spam of the recruitment world, I kid you not (one company got it 6 times because of how cagey some recruitment firms are about who they are actually sending you to) nothing ever actually came of it but I kept trying anyway.

Recently, I got a call from a local computer manufacturer. Mineral computers. They are a supplier to councils, schools, universities, that kind of thing. They liked my CV, they needed someone with technical skills AND customer service skills. Could I come in for an interview tomorrow? Yes I can.

I called computer superstores in the morning, claimed I’d been throwing up all night and wasn’t coming into work then headed off to my interview.

So I get to this place and it’s one of the easiest drive’s to a job ever. I literally get on the main road out of my home town towards the next county, drive for 20 minutes on this dead straight road, then turn right at the first roundabout as I pass under the motorway. That’s it.

I get there and I ask to speak to the two people who wanted to interview me. We shall call them by their nicknames (and this really is what people in our office call them to their faces) Timon and Pumbaa. I recognised Timon, but I couldn’t figure out where.

We get through the interview and they really liked me as a person. They seemed more interested in me than my skills though, and here’s why: that position I mentioned earlier, that they filled before they could get to me.

When I had been junk mailing out my CV to anyone and everyone, one of the recruitment firms had sent it to Mineral computers. They wanted to see if I really am as good as I say I am so they grabbed a Mineral laptop, set a simple fault in it, then headed to my store. When they got there, they looked for me (my photo is on the top of my CV) and presented me with the fault.

Of course, now I’ve had my memory jogged. I figured out EXACTLY where I’d seen Timon before and what he was saying was right.

The problem they presented was when the computer turned on it would power up but no display. A common cause of that in a laptop is that the RAM has worked loose. I open the ram cover, re-seat the ram, bingo! Computer turns on. Took me all of 10 seconds of listening and diagnosing. So of course, when they found out they couldn’t take me on; they hung on to my CV. When another job comes up, I got the call.

Computer superstores aren’t happy that they can no longer drop my hours to weekends only for weeks on end then expect me to be waiting by the phone for them but fuck them.

As for my new job; I’m still dealing with customers. Most of which are I.T. departments in the places I mentioned before but we also sell to a charity known as Family Support (if you have a kid with any kind of disability they will give you stuff like computers, kitchen equipment, games consoles, etc for free but you never truly own it) so I’m still dealing with the general public, even in my new “Normal” job.

Sadly it’s not permanent yet. They would like to make it permanent but they must get approval from HR for that and for that to happen I need to pass my probationary period. The second it becomes permanent; Fuck Electronics Superstores.
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Any update on this?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      Any update on this?
      Well, I already have a story which I'll be posting when I can get my ass in gear
      -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

We'll be waiting!
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Congrats! I need to work harder at job hunting, if I can ever find the time.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Congrats! I need to work harder at job hunting, if I can ever find the time.
            I know the feeling, although in my case it's more "If I can find jobs in my field of study that are entry-level and don't require three years' experience, including computer programs I've never even heard of ..."
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X