Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoneyMoon Stuff (suck and rock!)(LONG)

HI!!! Back from Honeymoon, and pretty tired *yawn* 24 hours of straight travelling will do that to you. Even after 12 hours of sleep.

TTO and I went to Dubai for 3 nights - was AWESOME! People there are quite friendly, and the food is nice. Checked out the Dubai Mall, which was so insanely busy, TTO and I got claustrophobic and left 3 hours earlier than we planned to. We don't handle crowds well...
    The hotel was BEAUTIFUL. very chilled and relaxed, and everyone was so nice. Which reminds me, I must send a note off to the chain. The bed was huge and comfy, the food was wonderful and the service was very friendly.

We went on a desert safari the last night we were there. O.M.G. If you ever go there, you HAVE to do this! You go on a dune ride, then camel rides, and you can pose with a falcon! You get an authentic sit down Arabian meal with a belly dancer and henna tattoos and the water pipe (hookah pipe). Very very very awesome. Near catastrophe: I dropped my camera in the very fine desert sand!!! I thought I'd killed it, but TTO is like a gadget whisperer - he saved it

We then went to Switzerland for 7 nights. No offense to any Swiss people here on the board, but damn, most of them are rude and unfriendly. No smiles, and if you ask a question, the answer is barked or snapped back at you. TTO was referred to a specific hotel by the travel agent, and when we got there, it was more like a hostel. Cheap beds with old mattresses that resulted in TTO and I having serious back pain after 2 nights, which put a damper on the skiing.

The hotel was supposed to be non-smoking, but the first room we were in smelled so strongly of smoke, I felt like I was in a box of cigarettes. There's no way they put fresh linen on the bed as that reeked of smoke too - either that or the previous occupant smoked so much in that room that the smell oozed into the mattress and contaminated everything that was put on it. We complained (politely!!!!) and were moved to a nicer room that didn't smell as strongly of smoke.

The skiing was AWESOME. I cannot fault that at all, the instructor was very knowledgeable and patient with us newbies. TTO and I were both classified Level 1 (total and complete beginners) but he did so well in the first 10 minutes that the instructor was convinced he'd skiied before (he hadn't) and he was promoted to level 2. Go baby!!

The package included all you could eat and drink, which was awesome, and the food was buffet style. Very nice, until about Wednesday (we landed on Sunday) when TTO picked up a stomach bug that was going around the hostel. I poured loads of water down his throat during the day to keep him hydrated, and we didn't ski that day. Thursday he was feeling better, so we went sledding. I nearly wet my pants, but it was AWESOME. We went on those dinky looking little wooden ones, but they are sturdy!!!

The hostel had stage shows on each night, and I watched the one on Wednesday - very entertaining, considering that the performers weren't professional actors/dancers/singers. There were a few LOL moments, and the atmosphere was good

Friday we just hung around as TTO was a little ill again Unfortunately, that night I got the bug AND food poisoning, as did TTO. We'd noticed that they reused some of the foods - e.g. pastries and cakes (with cream fillings) that were on display for dinner were on display for lunch. Out in the open, no refridgeration or anything. So we spent Friday night hurling our guts out like quite a few other guests did, and Saturday and Sunday basically living on coke and dry bread.

Sunday we left, and TTO was so sore and wracked with pain from the shitty cheap beds that he developed a massive muscle knot in his neck that was exacerbated by the plane flight from Switzerland to Dubai. We found a spa in the airport for him get a massage to try and work out the knot, and some painkillers. Thankfully the flight back home was half booked, so TTO (with permission from the inflight staff of course) got to stretch out over 4 economy seats to try and sleep.

So we're home and happy to be home, with good memories (and some not so good) and a few stories. Stomachs are still tender, but we'll get there!!! Will post a few piccies soon, but here's one in the meantime, of TTO and I in Switzerland.
    Attached Files
    The report button - not just for decoration

Dubai is pretty gorgeous to fly over. Unfortunately I was only there for about 8 hours between locations, but it was nice. For only $100, I had a ridiculously huge room. If I had been staying an extra day, I would have gone out but didn't have time. Very friendly people in the UAE though. Everywhere I went through the airport, someone would come up to me and open a line up for me so I could skip on through the lines. I wouldn't mind spending a couple days there on my R&R before I go home.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Congrats first

Second I've been married 10 years now. And nothing makes you realized that you actually love someone when you have seen them puking and shitting themselves and you still love them. Grossness... and

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post

And nothing makes you realized that you actually love someone when you have seen them puking and shitting themselves and you still love them. Grossness... and
        Try when you're still dating. Boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half now (roughly). On saturday night we went to a toga party for a friend and boyfriend got a bit too inebriated in the spa. I found him puking his guts out in the toilet, which resulted in one short trip to the hospital for an IV and me not leaving him for a second. I stayed up until 3:30 making sure he was OK and only got around 5.5 hours sleep total after that.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Was this hotel attached to the "ski-slope mall"?

I've been to Dubai on a couple of deployments. I still have a handful of their "dinar" coins left - they look like quarters almost.

I took that safari too... only we didn't have any falcons. But we did have one girl throw up on the sand; the other buggies circled around honking their horns. (She ate BK right before the tour - big mistake!). I also drank a bottle of wine. And tried sand-boarding. Didn't try the hooka though.

and wow... dubai to switzerland? cool.

except for the throwing up part. i hope you felt better fast.

Comment

Congrats!
            And here's a pro tip for you: western Austria offers the same awesome standard of skiing as Switzerland, and in my (actually rather considerable) experience, the Austrians are some seriously awesome and friendly people. I lived in Vorarlberg for a few years and did most of my skiing in the Montafon, but the Arlberg is supposed to be outstanding. The Stubaital near Innsbruck is also world-class (they held 2 Winter Olympics there.)

Okay, I'll quit shilling for the Austrians now (no pun intended, cookies for those who "get" the unintended pun.)

Comment

Or sitting in an ER with them, holding their hand and hoping they'll be alright.

Yeah - pretty much any sort of 'sick' tells you if you REALLY love someone.

Looks like you and TTO are off to a good start, iradney!
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm really glad that you and TTO had a super time. It sounds like a fab trip. Dubai is awesome.

Switzerland on a budget is....not so fun (as you found out). The problem with Switzerland is that its SO expensive, so what the rest of us would call "cheap" they call "standard". What they call cheap is practically basement level for everyone else. I agree with the suggestion of the other poster who said next time, why not try Austria. Austria is lovely and MUCH cheaper than Switzerland.
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

'Grats, iradney!

I had a hostel stay in southern Utah that sounds similar to what you experienced in Switzerland. Part of me wonders if it's just part and parcel of it being a hostel. (Me? I ended up with backaches and strep throat, and a friend had some odd insect bites on his back from the beds.)

Dubai sounds awesome, though. If I ever get further outside the US than Mexico, I may have to talk Hubby into a vacation there.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

hehehe - TTO and I didn't actually sit in the bathroom and hold each other's hands while we puked and whatnot (it just results in me wanting to puke with the person) but we did alot of bitching and sympathising, lol!

@ Pepperelf, nope, this was the Hilton on the beachfront that we went to, about 15 mins drive from the ski slope mall (Emirates mall I think).

We had BK for the first time in Switzerland - sorry to say, we weren't impressed. but we're not fond of MacD's either so

Comment

Can I just say your subject line makes me giggle? I know, immature.....

Comment

Congrats...

As for the sick parts, it seems that Moctezumas Revenge got you...

And i totally agree with the swiss being arrogants and the country expensive.

Comment

grats on the big day!

dubai sounds great; i've heard that it's a good choice for travel in the area.

i guess i can add switzerland to france for places to pass on in europe?

more pics, i say!
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

will add more pics, promise! hopefully tonight also, the photographer says the wedding pics should be ready soon, so will be able to share some of those too

Comment

Congrats to the two of you! Sorry to hear about Switzerland though, I'm in Europe currently so I'll keep that in mind.

I'll have to tell hubs about Dubai, we love cultural experiences (and hookahs!), dunno if we could work it in after he gets back from deployment but something to shoot for.

Comment

Working...
                              X