This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Stampede!

I've been enjoying my vacation, and yesterday Hubs and I enjoyed some hiking around the north half of Deception Pass State Park. I'd never hiked those trails; they're beautiful!

Anyways, we were hiking up a narrow, rocky trail, and coming down ahead of us was a schoolgroup of teens. A couple decided to race down the trail.

Hubby and I just went and ducked to the sides as they came barreling past. Yes, they would have trampled us if we hadn't. Hell, you can barely squeeze pass other people as it is on this part of the trail. One of the girls fell down, tumbling over several times, while the guy ran past saying sorry and how he couldn't slow down.

Of course, everyone just laughed at the girl instead of finding out if she was okay. She was, but as I said, (1) it is a rocky trail, with lots of rock pointing out of the trail that are painful to land on, and (2) it's a rather narrow cliffside trail where falling off would be very painful (and along other parts of the trail, fatal), so this girl was rather lucky she didn't get hurt any worse. (I have experience falling off similar trails in the past...yes, it hurts and hiking out on a sprained ankle is not pleasant.)

Of course, the parents pretty much ignored the whole thing. One of the moms sort of glanced up when everyone began laughing, and then returned to the conversation. I overheard them talking about which colleges their offspring would be attending. They may want to make sure the kids survive to get there first.

We waited for the whole group to pass before we continued, just in case any others decided to stampede down upon us.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

If they are at Deception pass and happen to fall into the water, it's even worse than a sprained ankle. The way the tides flow there, people who fall in the water tend to not be found again.

Comment

exactly, those trails are steep and if you fall...your last stop may very well be your last stop, period.

wwdd?
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

No, no. The parents were allowing it because they were hoping to save money on college!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          No, no. The parents were allowing it because they were hoping to save money on college!
          or suing the park for not having signs saying no running, and for not having railings, and removing all those pesky pointy rocks....
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

People kill themselves accidently in the mountains up here all the time. Table Rock State Park, for instance, has signs all over it saying (to paraphrase) "these are natural trails and you can get your dumb ass killed here". And a body count is listed down at the lower trailhead. People think natural areas are Disneyworld.

I knocked my own dumb ass out cold up at Turtlehead Falls on the Horse Pasture in Brevard. No lie, un freaking conscious half in and half out of a creek. Woke up with my friends going And I was being careful, no less. Mother Nature doesn't give a damn about you being careless and she will be beyond apathetic if you end up dead. Had some impressive bruises from that little debacle.

One word: Darwin.

Comment

Better a somewhat indifferent chaperone than a helicopter one. Almost as if to say "you were being stupid and experienced the consequences."

Comment

You had a gorgeous day for it.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  falling off would be very painful (and along other parts of the trail, fatal)
                  I lost a good friend this way, so I tend to be paranoid about trail safety. She's lucky.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If they tried that crap on one of the Laurel Highlands trails...they'd be seriously messed up. Some of those trails go nearly straight up, and some areas have 'overlooks' which aren't protected with railings. Fall off one of those, and depending on location, it's several hundred feet to the valley floor
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                    X