This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Spin on Racism

I was at the pub playing a few games of pool with friends. I don't know how things are everywhere else in the world, but in the UK, if you want a go on the pool table, you put a coin down to show that you want to go next. My friends and I had been playing for about half a dozen games with no one coming near us.

A lady, mid-forties, caked in makeup and smelling like she had had a bath in perfume came up to me.

L: Excuse me! But when is someone else going to have a go on the table?
    Me: Oh, well if you just put some mon-
    L: Is it locals only? Are you only allowed to play if you are local? That is absolutely disgusting. You are not letting me and my friends play because we aren't from this part of the country. It's borderline racism!

My friend spat his drink out from laughing.

Me: Lady! We're both British and white! How is it racism? Put a coin on the table, and then you can have it when we finish this game.

She got her go on the table. After two shots, she potted the black ball, ending her game. Ha!

Oh yes, the long and shameful history of the English village - lure those from out of town, capture and enslave them, and force them to watch your expert billiards moves whilst giving them no opportunity to improve their own skills.

There are warnings in ALL the tourist guides.

Comment

You were discriminating against idiots. C'mon, admit it.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        I was at the pub playing a few games of pool with friends. I don't know how things are everywhere else in the world, but in the UK, if you want a go on the pool table, you put a coin down to show that you want to go next.
        It's that way in the US as well. Your response was rather polite by US standards; she'd have been jeered out of the place for saying something like that here.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Glad to see you're demonstrating you have a life lol. Maybe this idiot was related to or a friend of that mother you've written about a couple of times?

Comment

every place in the UK has the same unwritten rule (i've seen some places even have it written)

the only exception is where a different rule is podted.

Comment

damn, how can you not know to do that with a pool table in a bar?
              "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
              Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

It's interesting that the rule for putting a coin on the table to signify you are waiting is so widespread that it's the same all across America as well as in the UK. So I guess it means this lady needs to get out more
                !
                "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                  damn, how can you not know to do that with a pool table in a bar?
                  I probably wouldn't know to do that (I don't go to enough places with pool tables to pick it up), but at least I wouldn't go on a screaming rampage like the lady in the OP. I'd just ask politley if we could have a turn, and graciously accept the explanation given of how to state your intent to play.

I don't think 'gracious' is in that lady's dictionary.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

The unspoken rule is so wide spread that i have seen slots on the rails of the coin op tables specifically for this purpose!! But if i'm in a pool hall and paying the front desk for a table, you can go suck a lemon until i'm done thank you very much.

Comment

I was unaware of this rule and would have most likely asked if you would be done anytime soon, but unlike this lady I would have been friendly and polite, sometimes people don't want to stop playing but will be more than happy to let you join them, especially if you both have small groups.

Comment

heck I remember that rule from when I was in college (small mid-western town kida in the middle of nowhere) some 33 or so years ago. I thought it was universal unless you "rent" the table by the hour at a dedicated pool hall.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                          I don't know how things are everywhere else in the world, but in the UK, if you want a go on the pool table, you put a coin down to show that you want to go next.
                          Works for Street Fighter too. Then again, it's been years since I've seen an arcade game. I feel old.
                          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
                            Works for Street Fighter too. Then again, it's been years since I've seen an arcade game. I feel old.
                            We did it for the DDR machine in college.
                            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                              It's interesting that the rule for putting a coin on the table to signify you are waiting is so widespread that it's the same all across America as well as in the UK. So I guess it means this lady needs to get out more
                              Canada too. The Hubster and I have played in many a pool hall or other places that have pool tables.

*snicker* When he was younger, Hubs would get dragged to strip clubs by his friends for birthdays, and he'd only agree to go if the place had a pool table.
                              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X