This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not touch Willie. Good advice!

So, a few weeks ago, after an 18 hour work-day day I leave the hotel at 1:30 AM to go home. And I see that I have left my car window about an inch open (awesome). Oh, and guess what? It's pourrrrring rain (super-awesome!). Even walking from the hotel to my car has me looking like a drowned animal and I can already see that my drivers seat is soaked.
    So I get in my car, put the key in the ignition and....nothing. It won't go all the way in, it's like my ignition is jammed. So I try and try, I turn the steering wheel, I try to shove it in harder, I try to put it in softer (that's what she said!)...no dice.
    So, (and I not proud of it), at this point I pretty much lose my sh*t. I'm just at the end of my rope. Although...in my defense...
    1) I have just worked an 18 hour day (see above)
    2) .......As part of a 76 hour work week
    3) My fridge has recently died on me, right after I stocked it with groceries (repairs and replacement groceries = 600+ dollars)
    4) I have already HAD my car into the mechanic to fix something-very-expensive-involving-coolant (636 dollars) just last week.
    5) I am soaked
    6) I am exhausted
    7) My ex husband just texted me a picture of himself on a BEACH IN FREAKING MAUI where he is going to be for the next 2 weeks (nothing really to do with this, it just really p*ssed me off)

So I go back into the hotel, in tears to try and figure out what to do. the first person I see is our night security guy, William (goes by Willie). And he basically saves my ass. He takes a rubber mallet and the biggest raincoat ever, goes back to my car and taps the key hard enough to get it all the way in (apparently this is a really common problem; the tumblers in your steering column can become mis-aligned and until you get it fixed you have to pretty much bang the key in with something else. Huh. Who knew?? Not me!)
    Obviously, I am very very grateful; knowing I can at least drive the car home and deal with it tomorrow is a huge relief and I give Willie a hug (actually more of a side-hug when you put your arm around someone's shoulders and squeeze). And does Willie mind the hugging? heck NO.
    The problem? Every single time I have seen Willie since that night he immediately wants a hug. I'm carrying a huge tray of drinks? That's ok! It's hugga time! He is in the middle of talking to police about vehicle break-ins in the parking lot? Still time for a squeeze!
    It's starting to make me kind of uncomfortable, although I realize it's my own fault for starting it.
    Maybe I should stop wearing deodorant?
    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Lousy Smarch weather!

As to Willie..hmm..maybe the direct approach is best?

Comment

Do you happen to have a Ford Focus?

And no idea for you problem with Willie. Hope things are getting better for you.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
        The problem? Every single time I have seen Willie since that night he immediately wants a hug. I'm carrying a huge tray of drinks? That's ok! It's hugga time! He is in the middle of talking to police about vehicle break-ins in the parking lot? Still time for a squeeze!
        It's starting to make me kind of uncomfortable, although I realize it's my own fault for starting it.
        Maybe I should stop wearing deodorant?
        Um, nope, it's not your fault! The hug because he saved your day was entirely appropriate, you were rightfully grateful, but now he's taking advantage of you.

So tell him in clear consise words: 'Willie, this makes me feel uncomfortable. Please stop demanding hugs from me.'
        Best do it in front of coworkers. If he continues to demand hugs, despite him knowing your discomfort, it's harrasment!
        No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Do you happen to have a Ford Focus?
          Nope, it's a Chrysler, but apparently it's a very common problem with both Fords and Chyslers after a certain time. I am just so glad I didn't end up having it towed! Now, every time I start my car I have to use a big rubber mallet to get the key in.
          Why yes, I DO look super-cool, why do you ask???

Thanks for the replies everyone. You are all right, I'm going to have to be more direct about it. I am just so worried about hurting his feelings, especially after he helped me out the way he did. the funny thing is, I AM a hugger, usually. Apparently I just don't care for enforced, duty-hugging.
          "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
            Nope, it's a Chrysler, but apparently it's a very common problem with both Fords and Chyslers after a certain time.
            Yup had my break a year or so ago. I described the problem to the mechanic and he said, " you have a focus" yeah not what I wanted to hear.
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Oooh, yeah, that's never good. That's like showing your doctor something and having him/her say "ewwwww" or "OH MY GOD"
              "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Or asking your doctor "what should I do about this?" and the answer is "get insurance, you'll need it".

Darn, I have an old Focus - do I really need to add a rubber mallet to my glovebox emergency kit?

Comment

I have an old Chrysler. My car's issue is the ignition switch (? The thing you put your key in and turn to turn on the car.) will come out of the steering column. That was a fun issue the morning after I did some resets and had an issue with carpal tunnel in my right hand and wrist. I about freaked out when it came out and I almost wasn't able to get I back in.
                  (my family owns a car shop and when I came back from baltimore my dad told me right away that that was an issue I'd have to live with. That and the gas gauge is off, when it says I'm at a quarter tank I'm on empty.)
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

The thing you put your key in and turn to turn on the car.) will come out of the steering column
                    Yikes! That thing can just come OUT???? That would not sit well with me at ALL! Yes, Auntiem, you should probably start packing some mallet now, just in case Lachrymose is right, soon it will be time for the lousy Smarch weather!!!!
                    Last edited by I am the Lizard Queen!!; 08-30-2012, 03:40 AM.
                    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

I have a Toyota, and sometimes if I take the parking brake off BEFORE turning the key, the wheel locks and I can't turn the darn thing! Freaks me out. Also, I'm on my 2nd set of keys because toyota makes the keys of a softer metal so you only have to replace keys, not the tumblers, which is how it was explained to me; cheaper that way!

But yeah, tell Willie it makes you uncomfortable.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Bizarrely enough, right in the middle of all this stuff with my Mom falling and hurting herself, my Dad gets in the car the other afternoon and the key won't turn. He couldn't turn it, I couldn't turn it, our neighbor couldn't turn it. Not with all the wheel turning and brake stomping and flat out rocking of the car. So now it's in the shop getting repaired. Something about the sleeve on the ignition. I don't know. It's a Smart and the ignition is in the console between the seats.
                        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I'd go for the direct approach too - but make it as light hearted as you can, something along the line of "Ok Willie, that's the twenty hugs you get for saving me from the Chrysler-of Doom. No more until you save me again." Make it clear that the hugs are stopping, but that you appreciated his help.

Do you live in a low enough crime area that you could leave a key (no keychain, unobtrusive) in the ignition and then lock and unlock the car with a spare? Your insurance company would probably write you off if it got stolen, but that pounding in thing sounds dicey...

Comment

The title is begging for a Kevin Fowler sing-along....

More seriously, it sounds like he's a little clueless and/or now thinks you guys are on great-to-see-you-hugging-friends terms, where you are on special-occasion-thank-you-hugging-friends terms, and in those situations the person with the lower tolerance for contact always has to prevail. If he's a decent guy and a genuine friend, there'll be a way to explain it nicely enough that he shouldn't take offense.

Also, GL with getting your car fixed quickly! I hope it's running again soon.

Comment

You might also want to try getting graphite lubricant for the lock and see if that helps. Either way, you'll want to fix it soon. Hammering a key will eventually damage something important

Comment

Working...
                              X