This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had this before?

So my depression and anxiety tend to have "episodes" that pop up whenever I've been tired, sick or under a lot of stress. Usually these will last for a few days and have resulted in:

-Memory lapses.
    -Being somewhat absent-minded. (as in "where the hell is that key I put down 5 minutes ago?" or "What the hell was I going to say to you?" less than 2 minutes ago)
    -Mood swings out the wazoo (one minute I'm bouncing off the walls, the next minute I'm wanting to put my fist through them-thank god the walls at this rental are solid stone)

I have a feeling that this is just a childhood trait that has continued over into adulthood (along with my tendency to ramble a LOT and my other inability to keep things clean: think Petrozza from HK messy. This has been going on for as long as I can remember), but the last few psych nurses I've asked about it have somehow attributed it to something to do with my subconscious. I didn't bring it up with my psychologist, although she did suggest writing down a daily "schedule" of sorts, since I've been known to repeat said plans for the day over and over.

I'm starting to wonder if anyone else has ever been told this before and if so, what did they do about it? Last time I was evaluated for ADHD, I was instead told I was in a "mixed state" (mostly because the timing of said evaluation was straight after a fight with my mother, which triggered an episode. To top it off, this was done by some random psych who only had my written history to go by.)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

On the absent-mindedness: Did you, perchance, move into another room after putting the keys down or deciding what to say? I don't think I've ever met anyone that does NOT happen to, from time to time. I've never heard a satisfactory explanation WHY that happens, though
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      On the absent-mindedness: Did you, perchance, move into another room after putting the keys down or deciding what to say? I don't think I've ever met anyone that does NOT happen to, from time to time. I've never heard a satisfactory explanation WHY that happens, though
      Doorway syndrome. As such we clear down our 'temporary memory' as we move from room to room and things that belonged to the last room are considered "unnecessary".

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...kes-you-forget

I do get stuff like this but then I do have "fibro fog" effects due to the condition I am currently awaiting someone to actually sort out (rather than just write me another sick note and send me away with "once your stress factors go away....")
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        No, this is "put my keys down in same room, do something, then wonder where they are five minutes later."

Comment

Brief memory lapses are normal with depression and anxiety; discuss this with your psychologist. There are also 'physiotherapy for the mind' techniques which can help with reducing this effect.

Mood swings are normal with stress; but discuss the severity of your mood swings with your psychologist. Also discuss how well you're able to manage them - a person with excellent mood management skills and severe mood swings can have an easier life than someone with mild swings but poor skills.
          Once again, your psychologist or a trained therapist/counsellor/whatever can help with 'physiotherapy for the mind' and can teach you the relevent skills.

Putting stuff down and almost immediately being unable to find it is common; but if it happens to you enough to concern you, please do talk to your psych. Once again, there are techniques you can learn and exercises you can do.

In all these cases, there are circumstances which can point to a physical or physiological defect; however these are extremely rare and between your regular family doctor and your psychologist, they can determine whether or not you need to be screened for them.
          Also, if the effects are sufficiently severe, pharmaceutical support might be appropriate. But none of the situations you describe, other than maybe the mood swings, seem abnormal for someone under stress. And even with the mood swings, it's only the possible severity that concerns me.

Since I am not actually trained to assess the severity; and wouldn't be able to judge from what you've given in the initial post anyway - well. Talk to someone who is, plxkthx!

Seshat.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Fireheart - All I can say is "been there done that got the T-shirt" - or more relevantly, "still in progress" ! - I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Personally, I've been on Sertraline for a couple years which has really helped with the mood swings & anxiety etc.

However, I'm well aware that everyone's different, and this may not work for you.

All I can say is if you're not happy with your self/your reactions to things/etc then keep on pushing, keep on trying GP's, counsellors, psychiatrists, all that until you can get to a stage where you feel better about these things. You're the one that has to live with you, after all *hugs*
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Oh. Also check out Beyond Blue (Jeff Kennett's anti-depression initiative thingy); they have resources and links to resources for Aussies. (Non-Aussies, I think they also have online resources.)

Main URL: http://beyondblue.org.au/

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

And now we can add impulsivity into the mix. It's covered everything: retail therapy, eating, trying to help (which backfired). I can't seem to regulate my emotions, let alone control them. I get reminded about something I did wrong and almost instantly my response is to put myself down, then cry, then contemplate running, hiding or quitting. Even if it's a minor issue that's not my fault.

And the worst part is that I can't get help for it over here. Why? because to do so means I don't get paid. I can take personal leave, but that personal leave is unpaid. The low-cost psychs in my area don't consult on weekends and even then, I'd need a referral from my GP...the one that I have to wait an hour to see. It's not worth it.
                Last edited by fireheart; 01-13-2015, 12:16 AM.

Comment

May I ask a personal question?

How old are you? Because it sounds kind-of like menopause. I know one woman who went through it relatively early in life (early 30s). Next time you see your Doctor, you might want to ask if an Estrogen test would be a good idea.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    May I ask a personal question?

How old are you? Because it sounds kind-of like menopause. I know one woman who went through it relatively early in life (early 30s). Next time you see your Doctor, you might want to ask if an Estrogen test would be a good idea.
                    Not personal at all: I'm 24.

I might check-I'm on the contraceptive implant and I'm seriously reconsidering whether or not to have it in from next year.
                    I've gotta visit the doc soon anyway as I need to go back on my mental health care plan and as part of it, I'm going to get reassessed. But this time I'm going to demand that they get a full history, rather than just taking it off of whatever the hell they see.

Comment

You don't have to see a clinical psychologist, nor a psychiatrist, to get properly helpful talking therapies.

In Australia, Mental Health Nurses are among the people who are qualified as counsellors - my own counsellor until recently (thank you budget cuts! ) was a mental health nurse.
                      There's also Certificate and Diploma level courses for counselling, and surely in a city like Sydney there's someone with a Cert IV or a Diploma who works evenings or weekends!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        You don't have to see a clinical psychologist, nor a psychiatrist, to get properly helpful talking therapies.

In Australia, Mental Health Nurses are among the people who are qualified as counsellors - my own counsellor until recently (thank you budget cuts! ) was a mental health nurse.
                        There's also Certificate and Diploma level courses for counselling, and surely in a city like Sydney there's someone with a Cert IV or a Diploma who works evenings or weekends!
                        It was more to be properly assessed. I want to get a review.

as for the mental health nurses, I have not had a good track record with them. My last two counsellors had psych and social work qualifications and that was enough for me.

Comment

Hey, fireheart, I'm right about the same age as you, and I've got depression and anxiety as well. This all hits home hard with me, as I've experienced the same things, and they can be absolutely soul destroying at times.

Whenever you do something wrong, or badly, no matter how minor it was, you feel like running away, quitting, and hiding from the world and everything in it. It got so bad with me last year, that I just disappeared from uni. I never quit, I just stopped going. I try not to think about it. I need to fix it, but damn it's hard to even know how to fix.

It's hard, and I can't really offer you much help to make this all get better, other than saying I get where you're coming from. You're not the only one. Help is hard to get when your work will literally collapse your financial situation if you make the attempt. If you ever need to let off steam, send a rant through private message or something. I can't offer psych advice or even do much to help, but I sure am a good listener.
                          Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

I've occasionally wondered if I have some kind of adult ADHD. Whatever it is must be mild, though, because I've been able to control it for the most part.

Having two kids doesn't help much. I get home from work most days to be greeted by Little Shirts demanding I play some game with him before I even shut the door, Baby Shirts demanding to be picked up (and then crying if I try to put her down again), and Mrs. Shirts disappearing to find solace for herself after a day of parenting. That doesn't exactly help me focus on what needs to be done.

So I have two solutions:
                            - I made a short-term goals list for myself in an Excel spreadsheet. I prioritize what I want to do each month, and when I get something done, I mark it off. The thing even tells me what percentage of my goals I've completed, so I can see progress. Kind of a geeky solution, but it works.
                            - As for cleaning, I wouldn't clean either if I didn't have to, but if I don't keep the kitchen and dining room virtually spotless, the ants invade. I swear my town is on a giant anthill. I have to clean.

I doubt any of that helps you, though.

Maybe check out this forum: http://www.psychforums.com/forum.html ? It seems like some psych professionals are on there, so you might be able to get some useful advice.
                            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                            - IPF

Comment

Working...
                            X