Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our new pharmacist has been flashed. He is officially "one of us" now.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new pharmacist has been flashed. He is officially "one of us" now.

So, we have a new pharmacist. As in, just graduated this spring, ink is still wet on his license new. He's young, late twenties, ever-so-slightly arrogant, wicked sense of humor and mischief, big fan of fantasy and sci-fi, has a habit of hitting/slapping/pretend kicking people he knows will be okay with it, and frequently says totally inappropriate things. Obviously he fits right in with our humble madhouse. (He's also drop-dead gorgeous, but that's just a perk.)

Most importantly though he's proven so far to be very efficient and competent. Things have been going smoothly and uneventfully since he joined us, about a month or so ago, and then I woke up to some texts from my fellow cashier, Whovian, this morning. Patient came in to pick up some prescription cream last night. There was some kerfuffle and insurance issues, and my partner says she was incredibly rude to our pharmacy manager, who was trying to explain things to her and she kept interrupting him. PM was actually done with his shift, but had returned for something he'd left behind. When he had grabbed his stuff and was getting ready to really leave this time, he noticed the patient talking to our new guy at the other end of the pharmacy. Whovian said she had asked for a consultation and then asked him if she could apply the cream right then. He desperately, desperately wanted to say no, but being new and not really thinking of a reason why not, he said sure, thinking she might discreetly put some on in the area needed.

No. Oh no. This woman pulled the front of her shirt clear up to her neck and started smearing permethrin all over her front, wanting new guy to see exactly what she had, while Boss and Whovian looked on in horror.

Scabies. She had scabies. She was also mid-to-late aged, horrid red dye job, and obvious signs of past meth abuse. And our pretty new pharmacist got to see it all. He and Whovian spent the next several minutes dousing their hands, arms, the counter, and anything else nearby with rubbing alcohol and had sympathy itching for the rest of the night.

We had to give him shit about it when he came in today, and while he took it like a champ, he did kind of have that split second where he looked like he either wanted to cry or throw up, or both. It's been considered his official induction into our group and the world of retail pharmacy, as most of us have acquired horrifying and disgusting tales in great numbers and now he has one, too.

Here's to you, New Guy. May you have many more.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
    Here's to you, New Guy. May you have many more.
    You do realize 'may you live in interesting times' is NOT a friendly thing to wish on someone, right?

And ewwwwww! Ewwwwwww! Ick! Gods, and I bet she thought she was flirting.... ick.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
      You do realize 'may you live in interesting times' is NOT a friendly thing to wish on someone, right?

And ewwwwww! Ewwwwwww! Ick! Gods, and I bet she thought she was flirting.... ick.
      It is horrible of me, and I know how it is to see things I don't need to, I've been show rashy tits for no reason, too. Never scabies though. One guy pulled his bandage aside to show me a gaping cancef wound on his shoulder, another showed PM and I his gallbladder removal holes. People actually ask us in the break areas, "So, got any good stories today? Tell me a pharmacy story!"

Now Mr. New van be "that guy" at dinner with family and friends

Comment

Holy crap, they use permethrin to kill fleas! Yuck, she's putting bug killer on her boobs!!

Some people are very laid back about showing skin. I knew a woman who used to work as a stripper. She had a tattoo done on her chest and showed it to another friend. He said she just whipped up her shirt, bare boobs and all. He didn't know where to look or what to say, ended up saying, "Yes, very nice. I mean THE TATTOO! The tattoo is very nice!" (I think his wife was there at the time )
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Some people are very laid back about showing skin.
          My wife once worked with someone that had sent in a picture for a "shaved kitty" contest. Said co-worker gave the link (as it needed votes to win) to all those that worked in the pharmacy to help her win. Imagine my surprise when I was told to go and vote for my wfie's friend's shaved kitty... something that falls very squarely into the category of "sure, I'll just have to bite the bullet and look at this and like it's completely not weird at ALL".
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I don't think it's the tits he minded so much, although she's a little out of his age bracket, as much as the fact that they were scabies-infested tits.

You could be Kate Winslet or Adam Levine and scabies will make anyone nope right on outta there.

Comment

Some people just have no shame.

No really . . . normal senses of normal just don't apply to the folks who've burned out their brains with meth.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The thing about permethrin cream for scabies . . . it has to be applied over the entire surface area of the body, from the neck to the soles of the feet and everything in between.

Just applying it to the chest area ain't gonna work. Either she didn't know that, or was deliberately harassing the staff with her ugly bod.

(We were warned in pharmacy school by the late Professor G., an 18-year veteran of retail pharmacy before he started teaching, who passed away shortly before I graduated. "Sooner or later, someone WILL start disrobing in front of your pharmacy counter. 'Hey Doc, I got this rash, can you look at it?' " And yes, thus far in my career, two people have started getting undressed in front of me and everyone else in the store.)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Holy crap, they use permethrin to kill fleas! Yuck, she's putting bug killer on her boobs!!
                  Well, yes. Scabies is caused by a mite infestation.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    The thing about permethrin cream for scabies . . . it has to be applied over the entire surface area of the body, from the neck to the soles of the feet and everything in between.

Just applying it to the chest area ain't gonna work. Either she didn't know that, or was deliberately harassing the staff with her ugly bod.
                    Something went wrong, as the ER called in some more for her on Saturday. The technician who initially picked up the call actually yelled "Oh God, not her!" and was met with sympathy from the person on the other end. She hasn't come back yet though, probably because insurance won't pay for more so soon. Or she's just looking for an excuse to flash a captive audience again.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Well, yes. Scabies is caused by a mite infestation.
                      Yeah, but that stuff? I didn't know they sold that stuff for topical use on people. Always thought it was kinda dangerous. Well, most medicine can be, I know, just....ick. When I think of some of the flea stuff I've used years back I just
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Permethrin is available in many different forms for human use. Doesn't mean it's any less icky when a grubby person picks some up. My other cashier was paranoid that either she or our new guy had caught the scabies, but I assured her that as long as they didn't decide to have a threesome with her, they should be fine.

Still though, I see a disturbing amount of permethrin go through my register every week. Even moreso when it's the same person or family over and over and over . . .

Comment

This. This is all I can say.
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

As usual the people who flash themselves are the ones that cause you to need the brain bleach,whereas the ones who you would be quite happy to do it keep their clothes firmly on
                            (however much you beg...)
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                              As usual the people who flash themselves are the ones that cause you to need the brain bleach,whereas the ones who you would be quite happy to do it keep their clothes firmly on
                              (however much you beg...)
                              Reminds me of that scene from American Dad where Hector Elizondo keeps repeating that Francine should get a life and once she signs up pretending to be Sarah Blanche at a cement convention, he starts suggesting that she should get naked. Then one of the receptionists starts stripping off....
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X