This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Not in the medical profession, but it's my understanding that there are several "modes of action" for OTC laxatives. Some (Metamucil) provide bulk so that the system doesn't get bogged down due to having nothing to process. Others (phenolpthalien) try to kick things into action even if there's nothing to move, and are somewhat violent in their effect. Which "modes of action" for OTC laxatives should people in this situation look for, and which should they avoid?
    Frankly, the usual problem after gallbladder removal is diarrhea. That's because the body sometimes doesn't process fatty or greasy foods as well as it did before. If this happens, you will often realize it before you've even finished the meal. Sometimes this effect only lasts a week or so (maybe a few weeks for some people) until the body adjusts; sometimes it lasts a long time.

Obviously, you've got to have eaten some solid food for that to happen. If you didn't need to poop before the surgery, and are eating mostly liquid foods right afterward, your body's not accumulating much solid waste yet.

But again, I'm speaking from my own and my family's experience. Not everyone will react the same way. That's why I urge the OP to consult with the doc, and the suggestion someone made of consulting a nutritionist is a good one, too.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Frankly, the usual problem after gallbladder removal is diarrhea. That's because the body sometimes doesn't process fatty or greasy foods as well as it did before. If this happens, you will often realize it before you've even finished the meal. Sometimes this effect only lasts a week or so (maybe a few weeks for some people) until the body adjusts; sometimes it lasts a long time.

Obviously, you've got to have eaten some solid food for that to happen. If you didn't need to poop before the surgery, and are eating mostly liquid foods right afterward, your body's not accumulating much solid waste yet.

But again, I'm speaking from my own and my family's experience. Not everyone will react the same way. That's why I urge the OP to consult with the doc, and the suggestion someone made of consulting a nutritionist is a good one, too.
      No, post operatively thanks to the gut slowdown from being knocked out [and being emptied out roughly]

I would say softness, go with colace, lots of fruit and lots of liquids. You do not want to strain.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Not in the medical profession, but it's my understanding that there are several "modes of action" for OTC laxatives.
        <snip>
        Which "modes of action" for OTC laxatives should people in this situation look for, and which should they avoid?
        Yes, there are. And I don't know, but a pharmacist will!

Laxatives are a common enough request of a pharmacist, and abdominal operations and their post-operative complications a common enough problem, that I suspect pharmacists get multiple queries about this a week.

So go ask.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Feeling any better?

When i had my gallbladder removed, I was told, and had, pain that would suddenly appear in my neck and shoulders. This is from the gas when then sorta blow up your abdomen. The only way to relieve that pain is to get up and walk around. I don't recall seeing anything about leg pain, and this might be something to speak with a doctor about. The first two days after surgery was quite painful across the abdomen and getting up from bed was a bitch. Suddenly the 3rd day I felt immensely better.

As to a liquid diet? I was told to avoid fatty foods the first week, but otherwise could eat normal. Fatty foods could be a shock to the system and cause problems later on. I'll admit I was very bad and ate all the naughty foods during recovery. I'm fortunate that I've never had any real issues, and only sometimes do I have a sudden need for BM after eating something fatty. McDonald's fries are a trigger, for example.

A coworker will have a sudden rush to the bathroom after eating anything buttery, especially foods cooked in butter, and also Oreos. It's different for everyone.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Parrothead, I hope you're feeling better.

If you're still having problems by now call your doctor's on call service. Someone should call you back to answer your questions.

Opiod and opiate pain meds will cause constipation, but so will the surgery itself. It's not unusual to have post surgical pain from the gas put in the abdominal cavity. It does not move up or go to the legs. The body breaks down the gas over time. That was what gave me most of my post surgical pain, quite frankly. The incisions didn't bother me much at all. But everyone's reaction to surgery is different which is why it's best to call.

Consult your physician before taking laxatives. He may want some say on the type you take.

Generally a post surgical diet moves from clear liquids (broth, jello, water, clear juices, tea, soda, coffee) to full liquid (creamed soups, non clear juices, milk, ice cream, yogurt) to soft foods and a regular diet as tolerated by the patient. Some people move up very quickly, within a day. Others take a day or two. Go at your own pace; if a food bothers you don't eat it.

A BRAT diet will not hurt you or cause diarrhea. Bananas and similar fruits should be fine.

Fruits are good for a healthy bowel, especially the ones mentioned. There is a reason why people used to day "an apple a day keeps the doctor away."

Once you're back to a regular diet, what you eat may vary depending on how your body responds to the surgery. You should ask your doctor about any foods to avoid. My doctor told me I could eat anything I wanted; that if my body didn't like a food without my gall bladder I would figure it out and just avoid that food.

I've been lucky. I pretty much eat whatever I want. I haven't had any dietary issues at all; no greasy bowels, no trouble with fats, nothing. I have IBS, and that does affect what I eat (I flare up if I eat too much fat, especially fried foods) but that predated my gall bladder issue and it's a simple problem to avoid.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I am better, just a little sore. I'm keeping track of what I've been eating and whatnot. i started pooping yesterday, yay, and have mostly been avoiding fatty foods
              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

I had my gall bladder out last year. Avoid greasy, fatty and/or spicy foods for the first month or so, in my experience, and then start slowly. I made the mistake of eating fried chicken about 7 days post op, and I regretted it within minutes.

But now, I am able to eat whatever I want, with no issues.

I get heartburn now, badly. for no reason. I can eat bland food all day and still have heartburn I started taking a course of omeprazole. You can get it over the counter, and it is totally cheaper than Zantac and the other meds like that. It's a 14 day course, and then you don't take any for 12 weeks. It helps. A lot.

The weirdest thing I noticed was my alcohol tolerance has gone down. I don't drink often, but I used to be able to drink most people under the table when I did drink. Now two drinks will have me a little buzzed.

I took 10 days off of work, total, and I don't think I started really being able to move around comfortably until day 6 or 7.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Comment

Working...
                X