This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Doctor? Just a rant.

Ultimately, I don't think there's anything I can do about this situation, but I need to vent to people that would understand.

BG: My family has seen the same group of doctors my entire life. It's a large all-in-one clinic, usually great. When I was 14 I needed a sports physical to join the track team, so my mom took me in to see Dr B. I had lost my virginity a few months earlier and was extremely nervous about admitting this to anyone, asking for help obtaining contraceptives, etc. I had spent many days psyching myself up to this appointment, knowing I'd have to tell her. So we get to the exam and she does all the normal checkup stuff, looks at her clipboard and goes "Well we know you're not sexually active so I can just check that off." while laughing! Of course, given the excuse not to say anything, I didn't speak up, but it always struck me that that was an extremely unprofessional way to handle things!

Fast forward to the last few years, my mom is coping with horrendous anxiety. I've got it too, but I realized what it was and sought help. (Because of my experience with Dr. B I never went back to her, started seeing just about any other doctor in the clinic.) Come to find out, my mom avoids the doctor at all costs. Will deal with conditions that need treatment for weeks to avoid the berating she always gets from Doctor B. Yes, she smokes, yes she drinks. Most doctors can respect this, with just a 'you know that's not healthy right?' and leave it be. However Dr. B gives her the third degree every time! (Awesome for a person with anxiety, right?) When my GAD was diagnosed, I started putting some pressure on my mom to ask for treatment, even if it was just an emergency supply of Xanax. She eventually did, but got another dressing down from Doctor B, who REFUSED to write my mom prescriptions for more than 10 a year!! My doctor is surprised, and tries to get me to take more when I only want 20! Is this as outrageous as it sounds to me? Her health and relationships are getting seriously damaged because of this, (She now uses alcohol to numb the anxiety, but that's a whole different story.) and the doctor only seems to be making it worse! I keep trying to get her to change doctors, but the anxiety involved in that just makes her shut down and she won't even attempt it.

Okay, /endrant. Thanks for listening. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I kind of feel like I've exhausted my options, but maybe you guys will have a different take on it.

Would your mother be willing to have you go with her to an appointment? Or offer to schedule the appointment with another doctor for her. Even if she went with Dr B again maybe you would be able to step in and defend your mom from Dr Judgey.

Comment

Xanax is highly addictive. Prescribing only 10 at a time is the way every psychiatrist I've ever had has done it and I've had a Rx for it (for use if I have a panic attack) for close to 15 years.

That being said, self-medicating with alcohol is very bad, so, yes, your mother needs help. She needs to see a psychiatrist specializing in anxiety disorders and addiction. This is beyond the scope of a GP.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I can see only prescribing 10 at a time if that is the procedure. but 10 for an entire year? do you take one every 5 weeks basically?

Comment

Quoth angelkirie View Post
          "Well we know you're not sexually active so I can just check that off."
          And how would she know? Does she live in your pants? I have family members who lost their virginity at 12 for f*ck's sake!

Quoth angelkirie View Post
          (Because of my experience with Dr. B I never went back to her, started seeing just about any other doctor in the clinic.) Come to find out, my mom avoids the doctor at all costs. Will deal with conditions that need treatment for weeks to avoid the berating she always gets from Doctor B.
          I would file a complaint with the owner of the clinic. Perhaps also one with the board of medicine if she's that bad.

Actually, if it was me, I think I'd probably tell her to her face to STFU -- but I don't have anxiety issues.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

File a complaint against B, then.. why not ask your mom to come with YOU to one of your appointments? Maybe if she's only on the sideline, not in the spotlight, she'll be able to observe how your doctor interacts with you and maybe you'll have better luck convincing her to change docs.

I don't like going to the dentist, after years of having horrid ones. So, my oldest son, who has a very laid back personality, is the one that I use to find a good one. I get to sit sideline and ask the questions while my son gets his cleaning and check up. This way, no one gets bit and I get to relax before going myself.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
              I can see only prescribing 10 at a time if that is the procedure. but 10 for an entire year? do you take one every 5 weeks basically?
              Well, Xanax is one of those things that you shouldn't take on a regular basis or on a set schedule, it's an emergency use kind of thing.

I interpreted what the OP was saying as a single prescription for 10 and if you use all those up you have to come in and be evaluated before being given a new prescription. If you other medications are at the right dosages, then, ideally, you should only rarely need the Xanax. Someone having 10 or more panic attacks in a single year doesn't have their other meds at the right levels OR they need to undergo therapy in addition to the medication OR both.

I'm not saying that the doctor's behavior is ok. Just speaking to this one drug.

And, as I said before, a general practitioner isn't the best place to go for psychiatric drugs. It's ok as a stop-gap if you are first being diagnosed before finding a psychiatrist, but if you are on any kind of meds for depression or anxiety, a psychiatrist is the one who should be your prescriber. This is simply because they know more about these drugs and the conditions they treat. I've seen GP's hand out some of these very highly addictive drugs in scary large numbers before or prescribe the wrong thing for the condition the patient has.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
              X