This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of things that annoyed the crap out of me as a cashier

1. For the love of God, if you have an ENTIRE CART (Buggy for us in the south) Of WIC items, do NOT come to the 20 items or less line. And if I'm on a regular register, please inform me BEFORE you start unloading, that these items are WIC so I don't ring them up and have to void the sale.

2. No, I can not override store policy and take your 5.00 off coupon for a .99 cent item.

3. If it says one price, and you say the shelf price was more then a 5 dollar difference, yes, I DO have to check.

4. Please do not wait until I've rung up your ENTIRE three buggy purchase BEFORE telling me you have price matches. Just GRRRRR

5. CONTROL YOUR BRATS! LOL, I swear, mine know better then to act up in a store, because I will take them to the bathroom and bust their tails. I've been stepped on, pushed, had to clean up countless spills, and even had a child's diaper leak so badly we had to close down my register and call maintenance. (That was just ew)

6. No, I can not and WILL NOT give you a refund of cash without a receipt. You get a store card.

7. Why do people never ever EVER read signs? We had a woman once who came in the day after a sale, and proceeded to YELL at me when I explained that the sale ended yesterday and the price was clearly labeled on the shelf.

8. Do not put your child on top of my register belt, just common sense! They MOVE!

9. Don't stand against my bag carousel, it moves and I need it to bag your items. It's not there for you to lean on!

10. Couponers, PLEASE read the expiration date on your coupon.

Just a few things that ticked me off LOL

One more off the top of my head- do not insist we over ride the declined message on your credit or debit card. Can't be done. It's declined cause you don't have the money. There is no magic button deadbeat!

Comment

First, Welcome to CS!, to both of you ^_^ Someone should be along shortly with a tray of chocolates and directions on where to get the

Second, as well all know, common sense isn't all that common...

---

3 - I love how they think workers will just take their word for it >_>

7 - A common phenomenon, which has been discussed at great length around these parts: "Aliteracy" -- when you CAN read, but choose not to.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sorry - thread jack, but you forgot some really other important ones......

11 - Please don't bring up an item in a dented box and expect me to give you a discount on it when the contents inside are not damaged.

12 - Please don't come to the express line where it clearly says "cash only", then whip out your checkbook to pay for the items.

13 - Do not, under any circumstances, expect me to ring up your order after I have turned off my light and put the chain up at the entrance, no matter how much screaming and hollaring you do.

14 - Have your money ready when I tell you what your total is, and not be texting on your cell phone, or making a personal call that is more important than paying.

15 - Do not dump off your items on the conveyer belt, then decide you need to leave the line to pick up one or two more items that you "forgot" to pick up while you were doing your other shopping.

16 - The magazines are there for purchasing. If you are going to read the entire contents of that Soap Opera Guide, please put it on the counter so I can scan it.

17 - Even though we can go to the office for this, please go to the office and purchase your cigarettes there instead of making me stop what I'm doing to walk to the office and get your pack of Bullshit Menthol 100's.

18 - Do not expect me to take coupons that you have intentionally blacked out the expiration dates with a magic marker, or used that marker to cross out the bar code.

19 - Do not come through my line making up a promotion that you know damn well doesn't exist, such as a buy one, get one free offer on a box of tampons.

20 - Before you eat that bag of chips, make sure you pay for them first. Do not come through my line and tell me "oh, these are stale and I've decided not to buy them" when you've eaten nearly half the bag.
        Last edited by greensinestro; 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

16. For the love of Pete, have your payment ready when I give you the total.

Can't tell you how many times I've had someone wait until I give them the total to begin sloooowly going through their purse, pull out their checkbook and then fumble for a pen, then proceed to write out the check (even though we now have the electronic processing that prints out the check and all you have to do is sign it and hand it over) slower than the forefathers writing out and signing the Declaration of Independence. And always when there's a line of at least 3 other customers behind them waiting with full buggies . . .
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I only have one off the top of my head, there are always more...somewhere

And this was about 15 years ago

When you come in the local corner shop, Please go ahead and bring your feud with your neighbor who is quietly shopping. Please by all means kick out the crutch she is using because of a broken foot. And by all means act surprised when my 6'4" 270lbs curmudgeonly arse rounds the corner.

Both the man and woman doing this where your run of the mill speed freak for the late 90's. Skinny as hell and not a tooth between them. I got between all of them and helped the lady up, one of the other cashiers had already called the cops. Both these idiots hit me in the back a couple of times, I had enough sense in my YDAFOC head(I was in my late 20's), to know that they were on camera and if I hit them back I would likely get arrested.

Cops showed up in less than a minute and the funny part was the speedfreaks kept saying the lady on crutches started it. They both were taken out in lovely silver bracelets.

You know the joke about no good deed goes unpunished? I was reprimanded by the owner. He was worried about being sued(never happened) The lady who I came to the rescue of, gave me attitude for the remainder of the time I was there(about a year) and even bitched me out because I had made her life worse by breaking it up.

The moral of this story: If you are not a blood relative or extended family, I will call the police and leave you too it.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
              7. Why do people never ever EVER read signs? We had a woman once who came in the day after a sale, and proceeded to YELL at me when I explained that the sale ended yesterday and the price was clearly labeled on the shelf.
              Quoth EricKei View Post
              7 - A common phenomenon, which has been discussed at great length around these parts: "Aliteracy" -- when you CAN read, but choose not to.
              Oh, do not get me started. That has been the most frequent problem at work lately.
              Quoth Kittykat View Post
              8. Do not put your child on top of my register belt, just common sense! They MOVE!
              It's amazing how laissez-faire people are about their own children, isn't it? Almost every day at the fabric cutting counter, I have to tell a parent to move their child away from the cutting guide. You'd think a parent would realize that sharp pointy scissors moving right toward their child's eyes = bad thing, wouldn't you? Putting a child on a high counter or register belt is just as bad; it's a long drop (for a child) to a hard floor, and they could bash their head on either the floor or the counter edge. And of course, these parents are the first to sue the store if their little Precious gets injured due to their own lack of attentiveness.

to
              Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
              You know the joke about no good deed goes unpunished? I was reprimanded by the owner. He was worried about being sued(never happened) The lady who I came to the rescue of, gave me attitude for the remainder of the time I was there(about a year) and even bitched me out because I had made her life worse by breaking it up.
              That is appalling! Ungrateful wretch. She should be ashamed of her nasty attitude and lack of gratitude. Would she be happier if you'd let those jerks curb-stomp her?
              Last edited by XCashier; 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Talking about suing a store when your child is injured by your own stupidity, reminded me of an old co-worker of mine. She once tried to sue Walmart because she had her son in the basket going across the parking lot and she decided to get it going really fast and jump on the back. The cart toppled over and her son broke his leg. And yes, she thought Walmart should pay for this, or as she said, "at least give he son some free toys".
                "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post

When you come in the local corner shop, Please go ahead and bring your feud with your neighbor who is quietly shopping.
                  You and me must have witnessed the same altercation at Publix. I remember years ago, two moms, both had their little sons who looked about six, and one of the moms also had Grandma, who was a bit over 300 pounds. Mom with no Grandma was yelling at Mom with Grandma about the fat pig she was with, and how she's always in the way in neighborhood, and now here she is at Publix blocking her way. I couldn't believe it how moms would fight like this with their kids witnessing this. From what I saw, it was like you described. Mom with Grandma was quietly walking in, minding her own business when she encountered Mom with no Grandma, and Mom with no Grandma is who started the fighting.

Funny thing is, what is one to do when managing a store with this going on?

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                    7. Why do people never ever EVER read signs?
                    Because the signs will say something they don't want to know.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                    Sorry - thread jack, but...
                    No it's not. I bet we could do twenty pages on it.

18 - Do not expect me to take coupons that you have intentionally blacked out the expiration dates with a magic marker, or used that marker to cross out the bar code.
                    Seriously? (Although I guess it doesn't surprise me .)
                    I've never run in to this one. So the little dialog in their head is something like:

"When does this coupon expire sir?"
                    "Oh! It doesn't. See - there's that black line there."

wtf?

Humans will never cease to amaze me.

Comment

Biggest retail pet peeve ever - carts!!! People are terrible for leaving carts (buggies if you wish) and hand baskets right at the til! I got so annoyed with this I would ask the customer to move them and pointed to the correct spot, and if they refused I would push/kick/fling the cart/basket out of mine and the next customers way. The looks on peoples faces were priceless... I wasn't rude about it, but i certainly made it clear that our small counters have no room for laziness. (Note: not once did I get in trouble for this; if a manager had said something I would have stopped immediately. But they let me get away with a lot because I was gloated as one of our best cashiers.)

The second biggest pet peeve I had were the people who move the carts... To sit right in front of the exit doors. Of course then it was monkey see, monkey do, and eventually it would get so bad people couldn't leave through that exit! It wasn't like the actual cart pile was far... It took 4 extra steps to put the cart away properly!

I did retail for 2 years and I still curse the lazy bastards who couldn't be bothered to correctly put away a cart.

Comment

You and me must have witnessed the same altercation at Publix. ::SNIP::

Funny thing is, what is one to do when managing a store with this going on?
                        Truthfully, I was the weekend manager when this happened and it was in a little mom&pop store in springfield missouri when I lived there.

My first duty was to protect my customers, and I thought the best way to do that was to prevent them hitting each other while waiting on the police. The owner thought differently. In retrospect, it is almost common any more. Once when I was working in a little 2 man pc repair and resell shop, a little old lady fell down in the store and I jumped over to help her, while asking the other guy(the owner) to help me.

He looked at me like I had spawned 3 heads and asked me "What am I supposed to do?!?" I told him very politely that a gentleman helps a lady up when she falls. I have seen crap like this for years.

Comment

Please do not play in or with any of the wheelchairs or electric scooters...they are ONLY for people who are disabled, seriously injured (like have a cast on their foot/leg or something), or otherwise have a genuine need for them. Not only is misusing them making a mockery of the disabled, but also might keep them away from those who really need one.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          It's amazing how laissez-faire people are about their own children, isn't it? Almost every day at the fabric cutting counter, I have to tell a parent to move their child away from the cutting guide. You'd think a parent would realize that sharp pointy scissors moving right toward their child's eyes = bad thing, wouldn't you? Putting a child on a high counter or register belt is just as bad; it's a long drop (for a child) to a hard floor, and they could bash their head on either the floor or the counter edge.
                          Geez, and I freak out when my cat gets too close to scissors or he gets up too high on a refrigerator or something...because I thought a parent's first job (both two legged and four legged children) is to ensure their safety and well-being? I just don't get it...
                          Last edited by Peppergirl; 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM. Reason: Merged

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                            Please do not play in or with any of the wheelchairs or electric scooters...they are ONLY for people who are disabled, seriously injured (like have a cast on their foot/leg or something), or otherwise have a genuine need for them. Not only is misusing them making a mockery of the disabled, but also might keep them away from those who really need one.
                            One time I caught a couple of teenagers fucking around with the electric carts, riding them around the aisles, and I told them sternly to put them back where they found them. Another time, one teenager was pushing one of the kiddie carts we used to have (shaped like a car with a pair of steering wheels inside for the kids to occupy themselves) with another teenager crammed inside, like a clown car.

Comment

Sorry - thread jack, but...
                              Quoth sms001 View Post
                              No it's not. I bet we could do twenty pages on it.
                              We came close before.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X