This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    The law might not see it that way. It would be all too easy for the SC to bring the ACLU into this and raise a huge stink.
    Not even the ACLU. The courts are a lottery that rewards stupidity or being an asshole.

All it takes is the right people on the jury--people who don't like the company, or people who feel sorry for the plaintiff, or people who want to "send a message" to the company so their life can be worth something--and the facts of the case no longer matter.

Which is why I'm not optimistic about the blind....thing being banned from the store.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Not even the ACLU. The courts are a lottery that rewards stupidity or being an asshole.
      So much this. My uncle was a lawyer, and this is why so many lawyers prefer to settle out of court if at all possible. It's a total crap shoot because you _never_ know what you'll get for a jury, and sometimes even the judge is against you...

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
        The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
        Many years ago I went to boarding school for one year. There was an animal at that school we called "Football Head" because he repeated his final year 3 times so he could play football. He was an animal on the field, giving no quarter to the opposition, doing every injury he could do and still make it look like a legal tackle.

I avoided this beast as he was a bully.

About 5 years later I was driving down the road and noticed a familiar figure hitch-hiking in my direction. I had forgotten what an animal he was and I stopped to pick him up. He got in the car and recognised me. I told him what I was doing (working in an office) and he told me that he had joined the police force. He then said that if he ever saw me driving while he was on duty he would "get me".

I'm not sure what he meant by this, but I could imagine. My first impulse was to stop the car and order him out, but after short reflection I realised that he would actively seek me out if I did that. So I drove a bit further and stopped in front of the house where I used to live and told him that was as far as I was going.

He got out and walked away, and I sat there until he was out of sight and drove off to my new house. I said to myself that I would never again pick him up. I would remember all the bullies from my previous schools and I would stay away from them.
        Last edited by gerund; 11-29-2013, 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X