Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Assistant Manager

The problem is, how do you extricate a man/beast/thing from your vehicle knowing that any attempt to physically remove him (and you just know he won't leave voluntarily) will end in a very messy lawsuit? Most of my wife's friends encountered this bloke before the rise of the cellphone, so it would have been difficult to summon police. And he's the kind of being that would have just enough malice and spite to stick around in the car for just as long as you care to sit and wait for him to depart.
Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Store Manager

In that case, I would have driven to the nearest police station at once. Yes, you're driving so he 'wins', but you aren't driving him where he wants to go, so he doesn't.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 AM
High Priest to Grog-Boozith

Quote:
Quoth Ophbalance View Post
The problem is, how do you extricate a man/beast/thing from your vehicle knowing that any attempt to physically remove him (and you just know he won't leave voluntarily) will end in a very messy lawsuit? Most of my wife's friends encountered this bloke before the rise of the cellphone, so it would have been difficult to summon police. And he's the kind of being that would have just enough malice and spite to stick around in the car for just as long as you care to sit and wait for him to depart.
I'm a stubborn fucker. If he did not get out when I told him to, I would simply shut the truck down. If he was equally stubborn, and would not remove himself from the car voluntarily, I would have a number of options. Depending on my mood that day, I might threaten to drive him to the police station. If he didn't get out at the threat, I would call his bluff, and drive to the police station. Then again, if I was in a particularly ornery or bad mood, I might just get out of my side of the truck, walk around to his side, open the door, and inform him that if he did not get the fuck out of my truck and I mean NOW, the baseball bat/mag light/knife in my hands would be used to extricate him. I usually have a death glare that lets people know that I'm not fucking around. If he STILL did not get the hell out, I would either remove him forcefully, with or without use of aforementioned weapons, and challenge him to prove I ever touched him (no cell phones, no cell phone cameras), or perhaps drive him to the cop shop, or perhaps give him the ride of his life (I can drive VERY aggressively), or maybe, just maybe, take my keys and walk to the nearest pay phone to summon the police and have THEM remove him. My truck, my property. You don't get out when I tell you to, hello, you're now trespassing, motherfucker.

I have many rules for my truck. But all of them come down to "I own the truck, you do not." Luckily, to date the only people I've had trouble extricating from my car or truck were drunk friends who weren't all that conscious.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
Still A Customer."

Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Area Manager

On top of that, you'd get a nice mobility cart out of the deal too!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Not much of an issue these days, but if you don't have a phone, you just gotta have a little imagination!

If he refuses to leave the car, then the car travels - SLOWLY! - in a direction directly opposite of where he wants to go. The further, the better. And of course, it's not kidnapping or unlawful detainment if you tell him "You just let me know when you want to get out, okay?" The more stubborn he is, the harder it's going to be for him to get back home, much less to his 'intended' destination. And, of course, you can always look for a police station along the way. Or a public phone.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 AM
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Quoth XCashier View Post
The law might not see it that way. It would be all too easy for the SC to bring the ACLU into this and raise a huge stink.
Not even the ACLU. The courts are a lottery that rewards stupidity or being an asshole.

All it takes is the right people on the jury--people who don't like the company, or people who feel sorry for the plaintiff, or people who want to "send a message" to the company so their life can be worth something--and the facts of the case no longer matter.

Which is why I'm not optimistic about the blind....thing being banned from the store.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
Not even the ACLU. The courts are a lottery that rewards stupidity or being an asshole.
So much this. My uncle was a lawyer, and this is why so many lawyers prefer to settle out of court if at all possible. It's a total crap shoot because you _never_ know what you'll get for a jury, and sometimes even the judge is against you...

Old 11-29-2013, 02:11 AM
Old counter jumper

Quote:
The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
Many years ago I went to boarding school for one year. There was an animal at that school we called "Football Head" because he repeated his final year 3 times so he could play football. He was an animal on the field, giving no quarter to the opposition, doing every injury he could do and still make it look like a legal tackle.

I avoided this beast as he was a bully.

About 5 years later I was driving down the road and noticed a familiar figure hitch-hiking in my direction. I had forgotten what an animal he was and I stopped to pick him up. He got in the car and recognised me. I told him what I was doing (working in an office) and he told me that he had joined the police force. He then said that if he ever saw me driving while he was on duty he would "get me".

I'm not sure what he meant by this, but I could imagine. My first impulse was to stop the car and order him out, but after short reflection I realised that he would actively seek me out if I did that. So I drove a bit further and stopped in front of the house where I used to live and told him that was as far as I was going.

He got out and walked away, and I sat there until he was out of sight and drove off to my new house. I said to myself that I would never again pick him up. I would remember all the bullies from my previous schools and I would stay away from them.

Last edited by gerund; 11-29-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread