X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You should explain your ENTIRE return policy before...."

....someone purchases something!"

Ugh, had a real winner come into my store last week. I manage a local independent game store. This black girl and her not to sharp boyfriend come into my store wanting to return a game since he claimed he never played it and just didn't want it. Now mind you, this was roughly three or four days after he had purchased the game....

Anyways, our store gives a 90-day replacement warranty against defective merchandise only. No cash refunds and all sales are final once out the door. We can't give you a new game because you hated the old one or little johnny found it to be to hard for him. If we don't have another copy of the game to replace the defective one, we give only store credit for the full purchase price so the customer can pick something else. We can buy it back for a normal trade-in price if you didn't like it, but you won't get what you paid for it in the first place. Unfortunately, as most small business goes, we can't really afford to do cash refunds like larger retailers can since we don't sell nearly the amount of product larger stores do.

Anyways, these two winners came in wanting their money back for the above stated reason. I told them I couldn't do that, and the guy pretty much gave the classic line "Well I was told I can get my money back!" Yeah, nice try, except I was the one who sold you the game in the first place and I clearly remember the transaction and never saying anything along those lines. I did say be sure to hang onto your reciept cause there is a 90 day replacement warranty on the game, because if you lose it, there is nothing we can do. He had selective hearing apparently...

Well, by this time, his girlfriend jumps into the fray and starts giving me a lot of attitude about how they should've been told about the WHOLE return policy before they bought the game. I kindly explain to her that I'm under no obligation to do so since we have our return policy clearly posted in two different places in the store, one of which she walked right by when entering the store. "Well, I never saw it the first time I came in here." RIGHT.....even though it's been sitting on our counter for YEARS, well before even I started to work there.

Anyways, they left still with their game since the few dollars I offered in exchange for the game wasn't enough. She came back a few minutes later to look at something else in the store, still ranting about how we should've told her about the ENTIRE policy. Caveat Emptor aka "Let the Buyer Beware" is what I told her in response. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to read every line of our return policy to every customer who buys something from our store. And her expecting me to do so is just plain idiotic. If you're to blind to read our return policy in the first place or ask specific questions about it BEFORE you buy your game, it's not my fault your stuck with a game you don't want after you buy it. Yeesh...
    Last edited by Midnight; 07-18-2006, 05:51 AM.

Lol. They'd probably get more money back if they put it on eBay.

Comment

yeah, we have the same policy on games at our store. it's the copyright laws and for some reason people seem to think i get my jollies from not wanting to give them money back (well, if they're a jerk i DO kinda enjoy telling them no >>) but they just can't get it through their head that its policy and not my own personal rule that i've just made up to tick them off.
      Working in retail kills your faith in humanity. --professor at TTU

Comment

How is being black relevant to the story? Did she claim that it was racism or something?

Comment

Quoth varmintjane
          How is being black relevant to the story? Did she claim that it was racism or something?
          i was thinking the same thing

But back on topic, I hate it when people come back to the store and bitch when I've already explained my store policy to them. For us it's on the reciept and I'm sorry if you can't read or if you threw your reciept away. That's our policy and I'm not bending unless it really is the fault of the item in question.
          Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

A lot of this attitude comes from many stores (mine included) who teach you that if a customer gets unreasonable, loud or makes a fuss, just give it to them.
            In other words, act like a three-year-old and you get your way.
            ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

This makes me extremely happy that our return policy is on our receipts. I love it when they get all upset at me that they didn't read the signs next to the register, and I just circle the relevant bit on their receipt!

Comment

I had that too!

Woman walked up with a gift receipt, wanting a refund.

I explained that we could not refund with a gift receipt.

Well, no one told her precious angel that when he bought it.

"Actually, ma'am, I did. Not to mention, it's written right here on the receipt."

She left. I can't remember if she came back with the real receipt or not.

Jenni
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I second the thought on mentioning her colour. Not because I think you should avoid potentially racist-seeming comments, but because I was reading it expecting to read something like "then she called me a n****er" and it never came.

Like setting up a joke and forgetting the punchline.

Comment

Returns, Returns, Returns!

I worked for many years at an office supply store and our return policy stated 14 days on electronics, 30 days on everything else with your receipt. I was the KING of returns. Nobody returned anything to MY store after their time had expired. Nobody. I had people who would want to return open software. Didn't happen. I had to explain to them that they could easily have burned a copy of the disc or copied the disc contents to their harddrive, and they're trying to get the software for free. That's why opened software and music CD's can only be exchanged for the exact same item.

I hate returns.

Comment

I apologize if I came across as racist by saying she was black. It really had no relevence to the story since I've had customers equally sucky who have been pretty much every race under the sun. As I was typing the above story, it just came out as part of the story and I didn't really think about it.

Comment

I didn't even notice anything about it until everybody started talking about it... . She was a black lady. It's just a description. Someone could call me a white lady or a red-haired lady, they're both perfectly accurate (well, minus the "lady" part ) Just another adjective.

So far as the return policy thing, maybe we should should make customers sign a contract that explains the return policy, the all sales are final policy, the you-can't-sue-because-it's-raining policy, the if-we're-out-we're-out policy, the just-because-you-see-my-lunch-doesn't-mean-you-can-have-it policy, and the if-aliens-come-you're-on-your-own policy.

Of course, then they'll complain that the store's oxygen-to-nitrogen ratio is off, and that we're risking giving them cancer...
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I wasn't trying to be a dick by mentioning it, I was just wondering if she increased her suckiness by claiming racism.

But Mysty, how many stories on here say "this red headed lady spit in my face" or something. Usually descriptive terms like "old man" or "fat lady" have some relevance to the story, such as the common experience that some old people are crabby.

Comment

I just don't really notice to be honest. Unless there's a paragraph-long description about the person's girth or color or whatever, I just figure it's part of the storytelling and read on. Someone described as a fat person is just that...a person who's fat. It helps me visualize the scene.

Maybe that's why I don't always get the stories on here...
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Ah yes, returns. I'm a dick about returns.

Had a guy come in once wanting to return a little mini-fridge (I mean the kind only big enough for like a 6 pack of soda) because he never used it. This was in Jan 06. I looked at his reciept, purchase date: 06/28/2005.

"Sir, I'm sorry but I technically can't even take this back, it was bought over 6 months ago and our return policy only allows 30 days for returns." "Well I have my reciept, and I paid cash, so I'd like my money back." "Sir, (pointing to the return policy sign beside me" Our return policy states 30 days, what this means is after 30 days, you can't return it, period." Well Mr. Bright tried to play the "But it's not on the back of the reciept!" card on me. Nope. Called my manager, who (ugh) buckled into giving him store credit only, which he still scoffed about. He finally accepted THAT, but then went around the store telling every customer he could find that we wouldn't give him his money back even though he had his reciept. I let my manager know, and recommended we tell him to leave, but he wouldn't do that.

Some people.

Then you get the real bright chaps who come in first-thing in the morning on Sunday with a $173 cash return. "Sorry sir, you'll have to come back later with that, it'll leave me with about $30 in the drawer, and I have to be able to give change to other customers. Try back in about an hour, I should have enough cash by then." He looked disgruntled, but agreed. HELLO people? COMMON SENSE!

I guess some people think the cash register has an endless flow of cash coming from it or something...whatever.

I'm a huge dick about returns though. I can't stand it when people return something just because they "don't need it" when it's something ridiculously cheap that they could keep and use later or have as a spare. Obviously if it's something weird or expensive, it's legit and I don't have a problem with it. But c'mon, return a $2 screwdriver because you don't need it, and expect cash even though you don't have your reciept because "it's just $2??" You can't even get a gallon of gas with $2 anymore, and hey I've got news for you, no-reciept cash refunding is an AUDIT POINT and can GET ME FIRED, no matter how little or much cash is refunded without a slip.
                              Last edited by volvodrivincashier; 08-03-2006, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X